Date: 18-05-24  Time: 19:08 pm

Author Topic: Exup servo motor probs today..  (Read 8075 times)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
Exup servo motor probs today..
« on: 16 December 2016, 05:49:33 pm »
I love my fazer to bits, and think it's possibly, no, definitely, the best all rounder ever built. But that bloody exup.......anyhoo, today the missus has an eye test in the heart of Bristol. Living in the Forest of Dean and Knowing the traffic will be horrendous from the Severn bridge onwards I take her in on the thou, with its freshly greased exup valve. In Chepstow I get the bloody 7k fault! Anyhoo, it was intermittent so onwards to Bristol, and I park on the pavement and get the toolkit out right outside the opticians. At least I can play the breakdown card if a traffic warden shows up. By now the fault is happening constantly, and it's ok in the city so I know the valve is stuck in the closed position. I whip the pulley of the valve and try it, valve turns easily and smoothly, so put it back on and slacken the cables a bit, reasoning that I've over tightened them perhaps, even though it's done probably 200 miles since I last adjusted them. No difference, so I take the pulley off again and check to see if it moves around hanging loose. It doesn't, both when I'm revving the bike and when I kill it with the kill switch. So all back together, and head home with 7k fault going all the way, and  get there wit h about an hours daylight left to check it out. Again pulley off and check, no movement. So tank up, left hand infill and fitting bracket ( the one with the reg/rec fitted to it) removed to give me a bit of access. I'm thinking the cables are frayed internally and locking up, but pulling on them near the servo pulley with needle nosed pliers they seem ok. I pull them back up through the outer sleeve to give them both an inch of play near the servo and try it again. Servo not working! Wasn't expecting that :-( anyhoo, there's a slot in the left hand side of the servo pulley, I can just about reach thru with a slotted screwdriver and put it in the slot and see if there's any movement in the pulley. It's stuck but suddenly gives a little bit. I start the bike and bingo, it's turning ok, and no 7k fault. I spray loads of wd40 into the servo pulley shaft as best I can, reconnect the pulley on the valve, and take up the slack in the cables, and try it again. It's all working ok. Buggered if I know...I've not used the bike for a couple weeks while I've been away working, is it conceivable it seized up in that time. Have sprayed loads more wd40 around the servo pulley and will give it 20 or 30 miles in the morning to see if it's behaving... :rolleyes

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
Re: Exup servo motor probs today..
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2016, 06:01:21 pm »
Despite the problem, it does remind me of another reason I love this bike. It's dead easy to work on generally, and having replaced a lot of bolts for stainless cap heads the standard tool kit and a decent set of Allen keys under the seat means you can tackle a lot of the jobs at the side of the road. I think the only real fault gen ones have is age catching up with them. Annoyingly I never owned one from new; I did test ride one when they first came out but they were such ridiculous money new I stuck with the hayabusa I had at the time :-(

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 December 2016, 06:35:25 pm »
Think I'll start shopping around breakers for a spare servo motor, Is it a bugger to change? Looks fairly tight in there... :'(

RMT1983

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 December 2016, 10:36:26 pm »
ive got a spare mate, cheaper than evilbay too!!! PM me

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 December 2016, 11:28:55 pm »
That's awesome mate! I'll pm you now :-)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 December 2016, 12:14:24 pm »
Went down to Chepstow and back this morning (25 miles) and it behaved, but I think I'll change it anyhoo and get the old one checked out see if I can keep it as a spare

FazerFazersson

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 December 2016, 08:30:17 pm »
After lots of similar problems to you I finally bit the bullet a week ago and disconnected the exup cables and replaced the exup valve locked in the open position. Was expecting a big drop in low down responsiveness after reading up on it but it's barely noticeable - think there's a slight delay when suddenly opening the throttle below 3k but that's it. Wish I'd done it ages ago!

FazerFazersson

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 December 2016, 08:43:38 pm »
Btw perhaps the trade off is less noticeable for me as I put the exup back in rather than removing it completely as others appear to have done. And the valve probably wasn't working to it's optimum before even when I wasn't getting the 7000rpm fault code as it had stiffness in the movement.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 December 2016, 07:58:32 pm »
Exup ??/ you can take them off on gen 1s and never know the difference,,,don't knock it if you have not tried it. :D
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2016, 09:51:35 pm »
"Don't knock it if you have not tried it. :D "

Next thing you'll know will be something about sheep herding............. Nothing whatsoever to do with your EXUP  :lol :lol :lol

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 December 2016, 07:10:24 am »
I know and rode many times with a member on here who has a Gen 1, he loved that bike , thought it was brill,bike went real well,never gave any problems,,one day upon inspecting the Exup he found that there was no valve in there and had never been since he owned the bike,,,,makes you wonder doesn't it :rolleyes
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 December 2016, 10:55:47 am »
Earlier this year I was hit from behind by a car when the drivers foot slipped off the clutch at a junction...  The impact bent my exhaust forward, I didn't realize at the time but after straightening/welding it back up it had broken the low mount and snapped both exup cables.  As it is my daily hack/commuter I rode it unwittingly with the exup loose and the bike was not the same, it would struggle to go over 80 and slow to get there.  After seeing the cables snapped I ordered new inners from venhil and wired it open in the meantime.  The top speed was back to normal and if riding it with any vigor (ie keeping it above 5k or so) you wouldn't really notice a difference.  I did notice it when commuting however, less low power, not as quick when filtering/nipping around etc.  Fitting the new inners the bike does feel a lot better, the exup definitely makes a marked difference to the performance when everyday riding.
Intentionally left blank

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 December 2016, 10:04:13 am »
Got it today mate, best Xmas pressies I could have  ;)  cheers feller, very much appreciated :-)

RMT1983

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 December 2016, 10:15:50 pm »

Got it today mate, best Xmas pressies I could have  ;)  cheers feller, very much appreciated :-)

awesome buddy! glad I could assist!!!

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 January 2017, 12:05:22 pm »
Still useing the old servo motor as it's been ok but this morning valve was Clanky as buggery and exup fault came up then it suddenly went quiet after three minutes running and fault stopped showing on tachometer, been ok since. I'm guessing cables need adjusting?

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 January 2017, 02:22:21 pm »
easy check just take cover off ??? :'(

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 January 2017, 05:49:31 pm »
The valve itself is fine mate guess I gotta bite the bullet and change the servo motor, was hoping to get away with keeping it as a spare :-)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 January 2017, 07:26:10 pm »
Gonna change the servo motor this weekend, looks like it's gonna be a fiddly bugger. Gonna check me carb needles while I'm at it see if it's been ivanised..

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 January 2017, 08:46:01 pm »
Hope you've got a nice warm garage, :) I gave up working out in mine today.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 January 2017, 09:34:27 pm »
Had a similar issue a few years ago. Exup valve free as a bird, cables looked fine but changed them for slinky glide ones. Intermittent 7K on the tacho. In the end I bought a second hand servo and fitted it, no more 7K on the Tacho. :woot

I noticed the pulley on the old servo was much harder to turn than it was in the replacement.
Dismantled it and cleaned it up, everything moving freely. Reassembled it still the same.
Pulley would move freely when disassembled, but not when assembled.
Took it apart a few times, but could find absolutely nothing wrong anywhere on the gear system.  :rolleyes
I even tested the motor and it was spinning freely. Totally baffled, I put it in a box in the garage and it is still there :lol

I have the AIS removed which made replacing the EXUP Servo easier.

Take pictures of the way things are routed and how they are located before you dismantle anything.

« Last Edit: 13 January 2017, 09:37:47 pm by unfazed »

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 January 2017, 01:52:40 pm »
I have removed the AIS, and going to change the cables in my exup, do you think i would be better to remove the servo to fit cables or try and fit in place?

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 January 2017, 05:25:26 pm »
It is easier with the servo off, but do not remove it from its location, rotate the unit to make fitting the cables easier and then put it back on. It
Take note of which cable is which and how they are routed to make replacement easier. Servo is easy to take off by slipping the rubber off the mount instead of undoing the mounting bolts.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 January 2017, 06:31:26 pm »
Had a similar issue a few years ago. Exup valve free as a bird, cables looked fine but changed them for slinky glide ones. Intermittent 7K on the tacho. In the end I bought a second hand servo and fitted it, no more 7K on the Tacho. :woot

I noticed the pulley on the old servo was much harder to turn than it was in the replacement.
Dismantled it and cleaned it up, everything moving freely. Reassembled it still the same.
Pulley would move freely when disassembled, but not when assembled.
Took it apart a few times, but could find absolutely nothing wrong anywhere on the gear system.  :rolleyes
I even tested the motor and it was spinning freely. Totally baffled, I put it in a box in the garage and it is still there :lol

I have the AIS removed which made replacing the EXUP Servo easier.

Take pictures of the way things are routed and how they are located before you dismantle anything.
Cheers mate pics are a good idea. Been laying stone today will give it a go tomorrow, be interesting to see if my problems is the same as what happened to you. It seems to work intermittently, though mike did tell me it doesn't take a lot of resistance anywhere in the system for it to register the fault and essentially put the servo in safe mode. I havnt got a warm garage I've got a cold container....:-(

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 January 2017, 06:32:50 pm »
 :'(

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 January 2017, 07:52:51 pm »
Oh wow, that must be cold in there. The very best of luck  :) .
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.