Date: 01-05-24  Time: 02:04 am

Author Topic: Metzeler rubber ?? Handling probs ??  (Read 3577 times)

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Metzeler rubber ?? Handling probs ??
« on: 12 October 2016, 11:13:05 pm »
hi guys,
I'd really appreciate any advice on a tyre / steering prob on my gen 1
It's got Metz Z8 roadtecs on it that look almost new ( just bought the bike and they came on it and look like they were just put on before sale ) and to be honest the bike don't handle like I expected to , it always feels like I'm gonna tuck the front when I lean in like steering too quick and light or like it's going to understeer and I've got no confidence in it. I've had it serviced by Yam dealer today and got them to check frame , forks , bearings yokes  tyre pressures etc ( complete chassis check ) in case something bent causing it , but all good apparently except possible slightly bent bars , it's got renthal 758's.
So next on the checklist is tyres , never had Metz's always Bridgestone on my 600 except had PR2's for a bit and not impressed so do I spend a few quid and get new boots if so what ones are good, not too worried about tyre life as don't do a lot of miles these days just want a good tyre that will give me confidence on weekend runs out
Or there's plan b , will the R6 shock mod I've got from Devilsyam sat in the shed waiting to go on (when the missus finally stops giving me bloody jobs around the house ) make a difference and give me confidence in the Metz's.
All suspension settings I put back to standard in case previous owner's settings were doing it ,
Apart from that I love the bike
Any suggestions greatly welcome

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Metzeler rubber ?? Handling probs ??
« Reply #1 on: 13 October 2016, 08:43:36 am »
You could always try pulling the forks up through the yokes to see if it helps, it will have the same effect as raising the rear and will at least be quick and free to try.  I had a metz z8 on my front and it felt fine.

I know when I got my gen 1, coming off a Fireblade, it felt vague and light at the front, presumably due to the seating position and being higher at the front etc.

It could be a number of things really but if your getting it on turn in it could likely be that the front is sitting too high for some reason, either due to a saggy rear shock, rear preload too low, front preload too high, harder springs in the front making it sit up more than it should etc

Check your sag front and rear then raise the forks would be my first suggestion.
Intentionally left blank

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2016, 10:12:38 am »
I ride a FZS 600.

Metzeler M5 Sportec Interact are among the best tyres I've had. But they require 2.5 pressure for the front one, although Yamaha said to pump the front to 2.25 bars.

So I'd first check the recommended pressure with Metzeler.

Z8 is more of a touring tyre, than a sporty one, so for top handling, I'd give M7 or M5 a chance. Very good in both sun and the rain.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2016, 02:51:00 pm »
Thanks for the replies , I was wondering about the pressures as I've set up to Yam standard pressures , I have also noticed that if you take hand off bars then it pulls to the right which was the reason I got Yam dealer to check frame straight etc , it's got bar risers as well as renthals and you sit high , I came of a foxeye 600 so sort expected more similar handling to that , I think I'll put Devilsyam shock on the weekend and take it from there the other thing I was wondering was maybe a fork problem and maybe get them refurbed and new springs but want to try and keep costs down as with the shock , double bible screen ,service and new end can costs are spiralling
Thanks guys

windyg

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 October 2016, 09:49:42 am »
I had a similar problem when I bought my GEN1 last year, it came with a half worn set of Z8's fitted but I never felt confident with them. I couldn't tell you what was wrong with them they just didn't feel right. Any way i changed them for a set of Pirrelli Angel GT's and the difference was like night and day.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2016, 11:57:18 am »
I'll be honest I've never looked at Metz as a tyre for any bike I've had and there have been a few over the years although I heard they owned by Pirelli and I'm about 98% that its tyres although they look like they are almost new but I just don't like how the bike feels it's like every time you lean in the front wants to tuck, I think I've got to take the plunge and get them changed
Thanks for your info

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 October 2016, 02:07:10 pm »
I've just gone from Michelin PR2's to a pair of Metz Z6's on a Gen 1.
The bike does handle differently and it does appear to want to turn in quicker.....
However, they are a sport touring tyre, made for the heavier FJR type machines, hence the differences.
I have adjusted how I ride to suit the feedback I'm getting - there is plenty of grip, in fact the "chicken strips" on the Z6 are narrower than the PR2's but that could be down to the profile of the tyre being vastly different.
The main reason I fitted them:
#1. Overnight delivery
#2. £110 for the pair (as opposed to £170)
#3. I needed a pair in a hurry on a limited budget (the weekend before a rally)

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 October 2016, 03:15:04 pm »
if the weathers good I'm going to do the R6 shock this weekend. I think it's confidence as well and I've got no confidence in them maybe it's psychological because ive always heard bad things about Metz in the past

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 October 2016, 08:13:00 pm »
Have you ever ridden a sports bike with 16" wheels?
You get a similar feeling, I had a GSX1100F (Powerscreen model) and for months I found myself heading for verges and kerbs until I adjusted my style to suit.
Ended up doing 70,000 miles over 9 years on a variety of manufacturers tyres, but just adjusted the riding style to whatever was underneath me.

I've fitted Z6's - had them on a FJR which responded well to them, hence the weight reference. Went through Bridgestones and Continentals on that machine until fitting the tyres Yamaha recommended - Z6's. So as a quick and cheap fix went for them again. Yes it does change the bike - but in a bad way? No I don't think so. Scrubbed them in, in the wet as well!
Stick with them, go for a ride and ride round them.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 October 2016, 11:48:48 pm »
i hear what you're saying re style and I've already adjusted a bit but I'm a grumpy impatient old arthritic dog and you know what they say about old dogs and new tricks  :lol  I think shock part of the problem had the missus pillion weds night and it was bottoming out and steering into corners was all over the place so I'm going to do that before anything else and take it from there. Are the z6 a more sport tyre as the z8 is sport touring apparently.
I also read somewhere that about 75% of motorcyclists choose their tyres on how the tread pattern looks not how the tyre performs, strange when you think how much more important bike tyres are than on a car

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 October 2016, 04:44:14 pm »
I'm sure it's down to riding style and probably weight (of which I have very little).
No doubt they're perfectly good tyres, but whenever I've had Metzelers on the 600 I've never felt confident about the bike's handling despite lots of experimenting with pressures. I've always been happy when they're worn enough to get shot of 'em and go back to Bridgestone.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #11 on: 17 October 2016, 12:40:24 pm »
IMO, saying Metzeler, or Bridgestone, or Michelin is good or bad is like saying a Volkswagen is good or bad. Some need a lorry, some need a limo, some need a small car.
Same with tyres. All the big manufacturers make lots of different models.

Metzeler Sportec M5 Interact is a very good tyre. Handling, grip, even mileage on the roads I ride on is quite good. The nice thing is it handles well when wet and cold as well as on hot sunny days.

Z8 is a touring tyre, so not made to handle perfectly, the accent is on greater mileage (with still a decent grip).
« Last Edit: 17 October 2016, 12:41:15 pm by Slaninar »
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 October 2016, 10:33:39 pm »
Just reading through Practical Sportsbikes and there's a review on page 24 of the new Metz roadtec 01 which replaces the z8 which have got some new design of tread pattern to maximise wear , they reckon 10k but give uber grip , the guy reviewing it says he's never had that amount of confidence from any tyre before that he gets from the Metz 01 , and the vfr 750 he fitted them to feels more like a sports bike now , he had PR 3's on before
They do look a strange tread pattern though

Red Ceri

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 1260S MTS, Le Mans II, RD250C
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 October 2016, 04:51:45 pm »
Just reading through Practical Sportsbikes and there's a review on page 24 of the new Metz roadtec 01 which replaces the z8 which have got some new design of tread pattern to maximise wear , they reckon 10k but give uber grip ,

10K dont make me laugh, just replaced my first Rear Roadtec 01 after approx 6K miles, mainly touring miles in the Highlands and then France, very good tyre IMHO but no longer lasting than the Dunlop RoadSmart it replaced. Fugging expensive though  :eek

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 October 2016, 10:49:26 pm »
To be fair the review did say that he hadn't had them on long and was dubious they would last 10k but stated it was " like someone poured superglue over them while I wasn't looking" .
I'd be more interested in how many miles before they squared off but if they are as good as the reviews are saying if I can't get on with the z8's ( and I am trying honest 🤗) I might be tempted to give em a try as I don't do big mileage.

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19 October 2016, 02:05:43 am »
I have got Metzler on my 600. Good tyres but they have a limit and slide sometimes. Although in controlled predictable way. I have changed to Michelin PR3 and the difference in cornering is huge. 
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.