Date: 22-05-24  Time: 15:31 pm

Author Topic: car park scam  (Read 21916 times)

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: car park scam
« Reply #50 on: 19 January 2016, 05:07:00 pm »
Result! Now start calculating your compensation  :)
Remember to calculate the stress factor into the total bill as well :)
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 25 January 2016, 01:59:36 pm »
Good news , I had a letter from them informing me that the parking charge had been cancelled , and there is no out standing amount to pay .

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 25 January 2016, 03:34:29 pm »
RESULT!!!! Nice one.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 25 January 2016, 08:50:46 pm »
good news mate, happy days
fire never sleeps

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 17 February 2016, 12:57:15 pm »
son has got another ticket whilst doing his job.

just posted this on the consumer action website that was given in a previous post by someone on here

hello, part of my son's job is to visit business's and rectify electrical issues they have. Often in shops or banks he has to park quite close so he can transport his tools. He has received a parking charge notice and I'd like advice please. Please keep things simple......I've looked around the site and other consumer sites (eg moneysupermarket) and its my understanding that when parking on private land, the bottom line is that it is unenforceable in law

please clarify the above

son visits a bank in Warrington and parks up, gets a wrapper on the windscreen with the words "parking notice enclosed"

within the plastic wrapper is the ticket from a firm called "parking ticketing ltd" based in Ducie Street Manchester

reason for ticket: parked on private property in contravention of the site parking restrictions as displayed on the signage or permit........A parking charge of £100 is due within 28 days of the date of issue. A reduced rate of £60 will be accepted if paid within 14 days with failure to pay the full amount within 28 days will result in the charge increasing by a further £50

date of issue:27/1/16

observed time: 12:05

issued time: 12:18

my son emailed them and explained his circumstances (probably have his name now) but they rejected his appeal.

Do we just ignore this demand and bin it?

I await there response and I'll post it on here, peeps on here have already stated they think its unenforceable on private land (the ticket states private property)
If it was me then I'd bin it after the advice given on here previously but coz its my lad, I don't want any comebacks for him.

Any thoughts from the foccer font of knowledge (legal answers not just Chinese whispers, even moneysupermarket seem to be a bit long winded, I would imagine they're either enforceable or total bollox with no ground in the middle.....am I right?

cheers

fire never sleeps

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #55 on: 17 February 2016, 01:51:27 pm »
Did the car park he was in belong to the business he was visiting?
If so, get them to sort it out. If not, think of it this way. Your neighbour has a new kitchen being installed but the fitters have two vans. Double yellows on the road and only space for one van on their drive, so they park the other on yours without asking you. Would you be happy?
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 17 February 2016, 02:21:01 pm »
he's at work so cannot ask him and it could be months before he goes back to ask

as for the analogy, understand your point as I wouldn't be happy but the question is.....are they legally right to give a ticket or is it just a scam to stop people parking up
fire never sleeps

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 17 February 2016, 02:50:55 pm »
They could if they have a mind too take your son to a small claims court , but they are unlikely to do that  .  Your son could pay the £60 and add £ 10 to the next 6 quotes / jobs , or as previously stated see if the bank can sort it .

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #58 on: 17 February 2016, 02:51:54 pm »
Legally they can pass on an invoice which is what the ticket is. Its not a parking ticket in the same way as the councils and police issue.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 17 February 2016, 03:49:09 pm »
my son cannot add costs to the job, he is an employee who goes an does the work for a Company

an invoice is one thing, a fine is another which when you look at the thread from page one, appears to be unenforceable if not issued by Police/Council
fire never sleeps

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #60 on: 17 February 2016, 04:56:12 pm »
Its only not enforced if the issuer of the invoice choses not to go to the small claims court. Most , but not all, of the time the issuer cannot be bothered as it costs them more than they will get back.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 17 February 2016, 10:39:23 pm »
Legally they can pass on an invoice which is what the ticket is. Its not a parking ticket in the same way as the councils and police issue.
Indeed. It can only be a 'fine' if the offense is covered by a law or bylaw, which private land is not. It is an invoice for a contract, which you are assumed to have accepted by virtue of seeing signs etc. They would need to take you to court and prove that you had accepted the 'contract' (were the signs clear?) and also that the charges are 'reasonable'.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 18 February 2016, 10:22:01 pm »
after speaking to my lad, it is now clear that its about a pay and display ticket.......he got one but it must have blown off the dash as he closed the door (I thought this was a load of bollox until it happened to me the other week and I actually saw it and corrected it)

they've said he owes £100 for failing to display on private land, here's the email reply to my lad with a few links removed, very scaremongering but bottom line is its private property so do we pay or ignore it?.

below is the reply from the Co. Parking Ticketing Limited, to my son, I don't know what his original email contained and they haven't included it in their reply

Thank you for your letter of appeal against the Parking Charge Notice issued under the terms of Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. 

There are Warning Signs situated on the site that state; Warning, Private Property, vehicles parked in this area must clearly display a valid PTL pay and display ticket in the windscreen. Failure to comply will result in the vehicle being issued with a Parking Charge Notice without any notice given.  Having carefully considered the evidence provided by you and the Warden we have decided to reject your appeal for the reason below.

As the vehicle was parked without a valid pay and display ticket in the windscreen, (having checked photographs of when the vehicle was issued with the PCN), you can view the photographic evidence yourself online at www.payptl.co.uk ) as clearly stated on the warning signs, the vehicle was issued with a Parking Charge Notice.

We can only advise that when leaving your vehicle that you check to ensure that the ticket is correctly displayed for inspection as the warden must be able to easily see all details, these may include dates, location numbers and security features to ensure it is valid and not a copy.

We appreciate that you purchased the pay and display ticket but the ticket was not visible and therefore the warden could not check and confirm that the vehicle was permitted to park there.

We are sorry but we won’t be accepting your appeal on this occasion as the warden acted accordingly to the signage at the location.

We are not able to take into account mitigating circumstances.  That an appellant feels he or she had good reason for breaching the terms of parking is not a reason for which we can allow an appeal.  When parking on private land, a motorist freely enters into an agreement to abide by the conditions of parking in return for permission to park.  It is the motorist’s responsibility to ensure that he or she abides by any clearly displayed conditions of parking that are clearly displayed on the signs.

The PCN is for Damages & Terrorem (click here for Supreme Court Ruling https:   //   www.    supremecourt.   uk/cases/docs/uksc-2013-0280-judgment. pdf ) Therefore falls outside “The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations  1999” and falls also outside Genuine Pre-Estimate of Loss.

The responsibility to observe and obey parking restrictions is yours and as we operated correctly in this   

instance due to the vehicle being incorrectly parked we will not be accepting your appeal, on this occasion.

You have now reached the end of our internal  appeals procedure. 

Due to above you appeal is refused, you now have the following options:

1                    Pay the PCN at the prevailing price of £60 within 14 days of above date. Please note that after this time the discounted rate will no longer apply and the Parking Charge Notice will rise to £100.

2                    Make an appeal to POPLA-Independent Appeals Service within 28 days by visiting www       .popla                .co.uk and completing the appeal form online quoting POPLA appeal reference XXXXXXXXXXXXXX .  If you prefer to complete your appeal in writing please contact Parking Ticketing Ltd on 0845 689  45 45 to request the POPLA appeal forms.

3                    Please be advised that if you opt for independent arbitration of your case, the ability to pay the parking charge at the reduced rate of £60 will be at an end, the full charge of £100.00 will be payable should your appeal be unsuccessful. If you opt to pay the parking charge you will be unable to appeal to POPLA.  Please visit www.ptlappeals.co.uk/refused appeals. to view other motorists’ appeals to POPLA against ourselves that were refused for various appeal reasons, meaning the discounted rate of £60 no longer applied and the PCN was at the original full cost of £100. 

4                    If you choose to do nothing, we will seek to recover the monies owed to us via our debt recovery procedures which will lead to costs being added to the original charge of £100 and we may proceed with Court action against you. Please visit www.ptlappeals.co.uk/county-court to view County Court Judgments where we have been successful in obtaining judgment for non-payment of the PCN costing the defendant at least 3 times the original amount of the original £60 PCN. We do not enter into multiple appeals.

Yours sincerely

Appeals Dept.     

Pay On-line:  www.payptl.co.uk     Phone Pay: 0844 848 0814

By law we are also required to inform you that Ombudsman Services (www.ombudsman-services.org/) provides an alternative dispute resolution service that would be competent to deal with your appeal.  However, we have not chosen to participate in their alternative dispute resolution service.  As such should you wish to appeal then you must do so to POPLA as explained above

fire never sleeps

Hamos

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 18 February 2016, 10:45:40 pm »
If he actually bought the ticket and still has it then just ignore it.  Even if it goes to small claims you can still show the ticket.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 18 February 2016, 10:49:35 pm »
The seeming important "Parking Charge Notice" they mention is just the invoice. This is well worth a read http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets
Interesting that they accept they he paid for the ticket, but just didn't display it properly. Their 'appeal' process has no legal standing in itself. You might want to check whether they are members of the British Parking Association (BPA) or Independent Parking Committee (IPC). If so that gives you a secondary appeals route.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 18 February 2016, 11:06:37 pm »
yes, it looks like they accepted him at face value but I'm unsure if he still has the ticket. they are a member of BPA or at least appear on the BPA website and they've given a ref no. to appeal further. I may just do this and plead guilty to non display but cite excessive costs as reason of appeal

with all the shit going on with the Mrs I just wanted a quick answer of pay it or ignore it
fire never sleeps

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 18 February 2016, 11:17:40 pm »
As someone has pointed out on another forum, their appeals form http://www.ptlappeals.co.uk/parking-ticket-appeal is faulty. For the 'Are you the keeper/driver of the vehicle' question it is missing the option 'I am the keeper but was not driving the vehicle' (which would happen if it was used by an employee). Might be grounds for an appeal pointing out an insufficient appeals process ?
Post http://www.google.co.uk/url?url=http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php%3Fshowtopic%3D101687&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjDl5O2tILLAhWFnQ4KHdlGD6YQrAIIPSgAMAQ&usg=AFQjCNExsl3J0INn2xL86cYRoyGKpo0LsA also suggests they hand over to a debt collection company which doesn't appear to have much teeth.
Depends here whether you want a quick exit (pay) or are in for the long haul (don't pay and ignore until they give up)

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 19 February 2016, 06:51:19 am »
F**k them, they agree you have a ticket, so just ignore them.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #68 on: 19 February 2016, 11:15:23 am »
What if someone steals the ticket?

Can it be displayed inside the dashboard?

Does he have a proof of having paid a ticket (some receipt), along with the ticket itself (that can be stolen off the parked vehicle)?
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 20 February 2016, 09:11:19 am »
ticket inside the vehicle not outside, going to be fighting this one
fire never sleeps

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #70 on: 22 February 2016, 03:57:04 pm »
Just ignore it Maddog. IF (big if) it goes to court, you have the ticket to prove you (well your son) had one. Tell the court that the NAZI inspector obviously was short on his numbers and did not look at the dash properly to see it.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 23 February 2016, 11:42:52 pm »
Also check out the Which website. As stated this is NOT an enfoceable PCN penalty charge notice. Personally I would ignore it completely and ignore the follow up threatening letters.
Wish I could say what I do for a living but am not allowed by my contract.... Some call me hittler and jobs worth......
Sooner the government tightens up on these firms the better. Legislation is there just not enforced enough with rogue firms.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #72 on: 24 February 2016, 02:38:37 pm »
:agree

:rollin

My Mrs was a yellow banded bitch employed by the plod for many years so know a few of the rules etc.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 25 February 2016, 10:00:03 am »
I followed a previous link to the Consumer Action Group (CAG) and we've gone to appeal with the Governing body. The advice given was very specific and legal jargon used ......the advisor has fought numerous court cases with these cowboys and won and you wouldn't believe some of the stunts they pull. I appreciate the "just ignore" advice and if it was me I would have but I didn't want my son having to  deal with any potential shite from these Muppets while his mum is ill.
I'll post again when we have a result
fire never sleeps

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 25 February 2016, 03:33:03 pm »
Good  luck with the appeal , I would have done the same  if they would have rejected my letter .