Date: 18-05-24  Time: 16:30 pm

Author Topic: Warp speed  (Read 6126 times)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Warp speed
« on: 17 November 2014, 08:34:43 pm »

Just a little feel good message about the speed of the old Gen 2.

Fair to say it still isnt the ideal bike for me but that doesnt mean that it doesn't make me grin when i ride it.

One of my favourite things about it - Getting ready for an overtake and sitting at circa 6k revs in 3rd gear and then going full throttle all the way passed and straight to the redline......& then 4th..........foccccccccccccccccc!!!!! 8) .......so quick and such a thrill...only overtaking i know but foc me there cant be anything quicker than it surely......you seem to get by a car in less than a second it's ace.......clearly allot of car drivers cant quite comprehend how quickly you'll be passed them.

That is all. :D
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Warp speed
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2014, 08:36:42 pm »
Must admit it still surprises me when I give it a handfull :)

That top end acceleration is something else.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2014, 09:34:59 pm »
it is true , makes one smile,,,,and then drop one tooth from the front cog,,wayyyy heyyyy :lol
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 November 2014, 06:57:05 am »
thats one of the differences between the 600 and 1000.....when you hold back on an overtake because the gap is too small....the thou will do it easy,without changing down  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 November 2014, 08:07:23 am »
 :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 November 2014, 08:39:46 am »

Just a little feel good message about the speed of the old Gen 2.

Fair to say it still isnt the ideal bike for me but that doesnt mean that it doesn't make me grin when i ride it.

One of my favourite things about it - Getting ready for an overtake and sitting at circa 6k revs in 3rd gear and then going full throttle all the way passed and straight to the redline......& then 4th..........foccccccccccccccccc!!!!! 8) .......so quick and such a thrill...only overtaking i know but foc me there cant be anything quicker than it surely......you seem to get by a car in less than a second it's ace.......clearly allot of car drivers cant quite comprehend how quickly you'll be passed them.

That is all. :D

And you're the man who's thinking of an MT-07? With half the power?  :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 November 2014, 12:45:23 pm »
I wonder if something like a Street Triple might be more the kind of thing you're looking for Noggy? Great handling, upright riding position but with a bit more go than a Fazer 600? Could be worth getting a test ride. They're supposed to be a hoot by all accounts.

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 November 2014, 01:03:31 pm »
Even quicker to  overtake with the quickshifter.  ;) ;) lol couldnt resist sorry nog.

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 November 2014, 01:49:37 pm »
I wonder if something like a Street Triple might be more the kind of thing you're looking for Noggy? Great handling, upright riding position but with a bit more go than a Fazer 600? Could be worth getting a test ride. They're supposed to be a hoot by all accounts.

Great suggestion Nick!

Try one Noggy! Good suspension and brakes (upped to really good on the "R" model), lovely handling, great punchy engine. Be the perfect bike for blasting around on your Welsh back roads!

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 November 2014, 04:26:02 pm »
Its the same riding an MT-09 after the Gen2 only you leave it in 4th gear for the overtaking opportunities. I make more overtakes now then I ever did on a Gen2 :)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 November 2014, 07:02:04 pm »

I've thought about it Nick......in the end i was set on a Z800 coz they're much the same although a bit heavier......i took a punt on the thou coz well it was there and i was desperate plus it did t involve finance.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 November 2014, 07:08:07 pm »
Even quicker to  overtake with the quickshifter.  ;) ;) lol couldnt resist sorry nog.

:evil :evil :evil :evil :evil

Brooker......it's ok having the fastest  :faz  n all that...........but if you cant even read then what's the point :b .........holding the gear doesnt involve shifting and hence quickshifter is not required.......those soapy bubbles & polish musta gone in your brain mate ha ha. :lol

I still want a quick-shifter.........ya foccin bastad :(

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 November 2014, 07:14:10 pm »

Great suggestion Nick!

Try one Noggy! Good suspension and brakes (upped to really good on the "R" model), lovely handling, great punchy engine. Be the perfect bike for blasting around on your Welsh back roads!

I had a good blast today and almost had an epiphany........the thou can do B roads........but it aint no B road bike.......where it excels is A Roads.........i go from feeling like a dick in the B roads to suddenly feeling shit hot when i hit a big winder A road such as todays A44..........also smooth surfaces the thou eats up but the first hint of crap and it's all over the place.....ok i know mine is t standard and i suspect that is half the battle but mostly it is down to weight i reckon.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 November 2014, 07:23:53 pm »
Street Triple is a much better bet than the Z800 from what I've read. Why sell yourself short? Plus, you don't have to buy new. They've been around long enough that there ought to be some good s/h prices out there. Try both, see what you reckon.

FazerFazersson

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 November 2014, 08:40:17 pm »
After upgrading from an SV650 I didn't think the Fazer was that much faster. Till I realised I was shifting up at 6000...

Is the gen 2 noticeably quicker still?

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 November 2014, 08:50:25 pm »
 :lurk

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 November 2014, 08:51:59 pm »
After upgrading from an SV650 I didn't think the Fazer was that much faster. Till I realised I was shifting up at 6000...

Yes

Lol

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 November 2014, 10:34:21 pm »

Erm, just a little bit :P
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 November 2014, 10:54:31 pm »

Erm, just a little bit :P

I think stevie is bang on with "just a little bit" in one particular instance. I have found that against slimwilly's gen 2, which has had a fair amount of modding, my gen 1, which has also had some modding, is just a little slower on an open straight (at least, when Bill isn't cheating and knocking it down a gear against my roll-on  :lol ). His definitely has it, but not by as much as you might think. All in all, not bad for an old carb'd bike though. So I guess it depends on how you are riding, and how heavily modded the comparison bikes are. I would guess that the gen 2 certainly is capable of being quicker, all things considered. And of course, it should be better handling. The penalties of extra weight  :\  Very unscientific test though. And I suspect that with both bikes standard, the gen 2 will have it.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 November 2014, 11:04:06 pm »
My gen II was pretty highly tuned before I sold her on, and I can definately say she was a very quick bike!
 It'd be a close call against my carb'd r1 on the straights AND the bends.
The R1 is just superior at the bottom and mid range, top end there's nowt in it. And maybe just a smidgen quicker at changing direction.

And against a 600???? only a long straight road would see a real difference, and above 70-80 mph maybe.
As I've said before, there's only so fast you can go on the roads before it gets silly and incredibly dangerous!!!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 November 2014, 05:14:34 am »
So was there enough advantage for you going from the Fazer to the R1? Perhaps a later R1 might have been a better bet? Curious, cos I've oft considered doing an upright spec GSXR1000 K4 or 5. This one wouldn't be my choice of colour scheme, but I like what he's done with it:

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 November 2014, 09:18:08 am »
The biggest difference is weight. The R1 is about 30kg lighter than the FZ which means it reacts better almost everywhere.
I had a '98 model for almost 7 years and transformed it into something special. I shed a tear when she went! I've wanted another one ever since.

After the FZ I was after a 03 plate R1 which is one of the first fi models. I got offered this mint 02 bike on carbs instead and took it.
The later R1's have the same engine characteristics as the FZ, flat sub 4k bottom end, and the necessity to wring it's neck everywhere which is just not quite right for British roads. Especially when your wingman has a high powered v-twin! I needed more low end torque to punch out of bends so I could keep up.
The bike I've bought and built is just better at doing what I want my play bike to do. The FZ was about 90%, but had too many niggles for me. Fuel consumption/tank range was my biggest bug bear (36-40 mpg!!!), power delivery was second.
The R1 does 45-55mpg, and about 30 miles further on a tank of juice.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 November 2014, 09:21:36 am »

My old beasty.

My new beasty.

My 'old' fz1.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 November 2014, 10:00:24 am »
It is nice to have that low down grunt - agreed, makes it much more accessible for day to day riding, which is why I thought of the GSXR, which is meant to have plenty of low down, as well as excellent handling. And also, I guess these things are largely affairs of the heart too, so totally know where you're coming from there too!

How does putting the normal handlebar on affect the riding position? Are you feeling you could do with moving the footrests now? This is one of the main things that makes me wonder if this kind of bike is really worth doing for me(foot/bum/upper body position relationship). I notice both of your R1s have standard peg position - will you being going to adjustable rear-sets on this one, or has the overall position worked out ok?

It may be that it won't work for me with my dodgy arm and long legs, hence sticking with gen 1 Fazers for so long - they are just right for me as far as riding position goes. Much less leg room and I'd have bother. But it sure would be nice to have something a little more flickable.

Ridiculous about the fuel consumption really isn't it? I thought FI was supposed to give you better in that regard; seems that's not always so  :\

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 November 2014, 10:25:23 am »
Recon my 09 is about as mad as I wanna go now and the 06 reminds me of the 05 r1 I had
Both mine ain't got big holes low down pull really well but gen 1 still whoop em in a roll on contest
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)