Date: 27-04-24  Time: 18:27 pm

Author Topic: FZ1: Over heating problem  (Read 3775 times)

dame

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
FZ1: Over heating problem
« on: 17 July 2016, 05:23:39 pm »
hi all, i have just bought my Fazer,  3 days ago, its an  2008 ex police bike with 47k on it
i took it for its  (shortened) maiden outing yesterday, and   discovered that its  over heating.

im a bit gutted coz i was planning a trip to the Isle of man in August, but i was wondering if this is possibly a know thing ith these bikes, with an easy fix, or is it likely to be  a head gasket problem?

any help at this stage will begreatfully received

cheers
« Last Edit: 09 November 2023, 12:38:16 pm by b1k3rdude »

melons

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet900
    • View Profile
Re: Over heating problem
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2016, 06:03:17 pm »
Think you need to supply more information

...does it overheat when riding open roads, or when stop starting in heavy traffic/at traffic lights, does the fan kick in when the temp reaches 100degc etc

dame

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2016, 06:56:56 pm »
cheers for the reply Melons,

i bought it on wednesday at a police auction they didnt start it but said it was a runner, i got it home and put a battery on it and it started.

I left it running while i got my gear on  and noticed steam coming from it as i was about to set off. the fan was on even  i would guess it had been running 5 minutes or so?

i took it for a 2 mile ride along  the dual carriageway and the air ram  on the rad  brought the temp down, but as soon as i got home it  and  had it ticking over on the drive, home the temp rose quickly

checked  and topped up the header tank and  the temp dropped slightly. i took it for another ride and again the temp dropped  whilst riding but  got up to 108 degrees before i switched it off,

Ive checked the levels again today and the  header tank is still at the same level and the rad is full, there was a little gunk on the rad cap but not tons of mayo.
there is some residue in the header tank but i don't know  if its definitely  oil ??  thats the full story of her to date

[fixed the font size issue - bkd]
« Last Edit: 09 November 2023, 12:37:01 pm by b1k3rdude »

dame

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2016, 07:28:42 pm »
couldn't just be a thermostat could it?

chaparral02

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - DiamondBack Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2016, 11:10:13 pm »
First thing I would do before stripping anything on the bike is make sure that the fins on the rad are perfectly clean as it may of had 47k of crap being throw at it... ;)

« Last Edit: 17 July 2016, 11:12:40 pm by chaparral02 »
08 Graphite Grey FZ1 ABS..
Yoshi CF R-77 Full system, FCE, Ivans Flies, PC-V + Autotune Kit, DNA Aifilter & Airbox Mod, Speedo healer ,16T front gen1 sprocket,
Sargent front & rear seats, Fender eliminator, CA Intergated Rear Led, MRA Vario Screen , Givi mono rack & V46 topbox

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2016, 12:11:08 am »
Sounds like the fan isn't cutting in.

It starts working way before the bike gets warm when ticking over.

Easy fix.

Whale
On the Gas! :stop

dame

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2016, 06:06:14 pm »
 i understand that there 2 fans on these bikes
  one was defo cutting in, not sure how clean the fin is but ill check and also check  if there is in fact 2 and that both work,

meanwhile  what temp should i be worried about,  i saw mine as high as 108 on saturday on tick over

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 July 2016, 07:29:13 pm »
As its cheap I would also drain and replace the coolant, check the old coolant for any contamination etc.

dame

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2016, 12:22:45 am »
ok so  today i changed the battery as it was  junk
 i ran the bike up to temp and both fans kicked in at about  100 degrees C
 it  climbed to about 103 before droping to 93 with the fans  assistance,

i took it for a 20 mile ride moitoring the temps

riding at a steady 50 mph on  a dual carriageway  she sat happily and constantly  at  87

at the lights she rose to 93 but dropped again to 87  as i rode along.

i got to a road works section where it was 20 mph and she didn't like going slowly and rose to  97, again dropping to  87 once we were clear of the road works.
 i headed home  replicating the 20 mph scenario a couple of times, it always climbed  and rose as mentioned above.
I got home and left her running on the driveway waiting for the  fan to kick in, which it did at about 100. and dropped it to 98 before i stopped the motor.
 i watched the temp for a while and it  rose to 109 before dropping  down steadily.

she rides fine, am i worrying about nothing? theres been no more steam.

what temperature  do you guys bikes run at whilst riding and what do they get up to  on tick over and just after turning off the motor?

i was wondering if the water pump may not be working but she was so  steady whilst just riding along.

hope i can fix it  as its a really nice bike

cheers all

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 July 2016, 02:31:31 am »
My gen2 gets up to 100 degrees quite quickly in traffic, but as soon as fan cuts in or the road clears then the temp drops just as quick.
I remember sometime back some else on here had similiar problem to yours and  they were advised to put some Water Wetter in to help.

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 July 2016, 07:15:46 am »

riding at a steady 50 mph on  a dual carriageway  she sat happily and constantly  at  87

i got to a road works section where it was 20 mph and she didn't like going slowly and rose to  97, again dropping to  87 once we were clear of the road works.
 i headed home  replicating the 20 mph scenario a couple of times, it always climbed  and rose as mentioned above.
I got home and left her running on the driveway waiting for the  fan to kick in, which it did at about 100. and dropped it to 98 before i stopped the motor. i watched the temp for a while and it  rose to 109 before dropping  down steadily.

what temperature  do you guys bikes run at whilst riding and what do they get up to  on tick over and just after turning off the motor?

i was wondering if the water pump may not be working but she was so  steady whilst just riding along.

cheers all

Be aware the temperature will spike at upto 110 if you turn it off while it is already hot (coolant flow stops, but existing heat from the cylinder walls continues to flow into the jacket).

melons

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet900
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 July 2016, 07:27:11 pm »

I got home and left her running on the driveway waiting for the  fan to kick in, which it did at about 100. and dropped it to 98 before i stopped the motor.
 i watched the temp for a while and it  rose to 109 before dropping  down steadily.

cheers all

Doesn't read very different to how my bike behaves. 2008 FZ1S, 15k miles, rush hour London (A406/A13 commute)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 July 2016, 10:01:05 pm »
Sounds about right especially considering high ambient temperatures the last few days -approaching 29 degrees C here in Bham today!

dame

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 July 2016, 07:57:52 am »
thanks chaps, i think i have a good bike after all

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 November 2023, 12:37:55 pm »
Sorry to open up an old thread, but just to confirm. The temp for the fan to kick in is 100c..?

Stainy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: FZ1: Over heating problem
« Reply #15 on: 12 November 2023, 09:44:23 am »
Yep. mine kicks in at 100