Date: 25-04-24  Time: 22:03 pm

Author Topic: Carburetor rebulid kit  (Read 1397 times)

Bof

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - 01 yamaha r1
    • View Profile
Carburetor rebulid kit
« on: 24 October 2021, 11:58:18 pm »
Hi
 I went to take the fazer out.
It had been lying up for about six weeks or so.
It took a while to fire up and then ran rough it was then i seen the fuel leaking under the bike from what i think is an over flow pipe comeing from the carbs. The bike is 2003 so i reckon it is due a carb rebuild. Can anyone recommend a decent carb rebuild kit. I usually would be looking for one made by all balls. But they do not seem to do them for the fazer 600 . I have seen some cheap chinese ones on aliexpress and i have seen some on ebay but i dont know if the ones on ebay are also cheap chinese also. Or if Chinese is my only option and if they are ok to use. If someone could recommend one the have used or know of and tell me were i can buy it from i would be very grateful. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Carburetor rebulid kit
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2021, 05:59:59 pm »
Do not replace with cheap chinese items. The original Mikuni are far superior. Remove the offending items and replace the O rings with Petrol/ Ethnaol resistant ones. WD40 in the seal seat helps to loosen them to take them out if they are gone hard/brittle
« Last Edit: 13 November 2021, 08:06:39 pm by unfazed »

bozboz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XT600E
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2021, 10:24:29 pm »
I used tourmax rebuild kits for, its say good quality and works a treat!

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2021, 09:41:42 am »
Perhaps the overflow leak is just a stuck float, and needs a gentle whack?

Bof

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - 01 yamaha r1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 November 2021, 01:58:42 am »
Hi fellas
          Thanks a lot for the replies. They are very much appreciated. I have used genuine mikuni spares before. They are expensive compared to the likes of allballs rebuild kits. I know that you get what you pay for. Its just that i have heard that carb rebuild kits from the likes of Taiwan have vastly improved over the last few years. I will definitely check out the tourmax kit, thank you for the recommendation. Unfortunately i dont think its a sticky float. I striped the carbs and cleaned them thoroughly. The floats seemed to be fine and the neddle valves seemed to be seating ok. But when i reassembled and fitted them back on the bike they leaked again. So i would say that the o rings on the neddle valve seats are perished. I will have to open them up again and try submerge them to see if it's the needle valve seats. I also seen that one of the bowls was leaking slightly. I could probably get it to seal but i thought i might as well rebulid these carbs and replace everything. If i could get a good rebuild kit at an ok price. I think the ethanol in the fuel now is causeing havoc with all carburetor rubber parts. I think ill will have to start adding an additive to my fuel. I have also been looking at youtube vids on removing ethanol from fuel using water. I dont really like the idea of storing large amounts of fuel. But it starting to look like that is going to be the only way of protecting carbs. I will have to look into how to build a large fuel can that i can turn upside-down and fit a tap with a fuel resistant epoxy or something. Thanks again for all your help fellas.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 November 2021, 03:47:21 pm »
Or try and only use Esso Synergy Supreme+ which contains no ethanol. This does depend on where you live, but is certainly the case in Surrey, Sussex,Kent,Hampshire and Essex. Not so in Devon and Cornwall and areas up north. The pump by law has an E5 sticker. All the info is on Esso's website.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.