Date: 19-04-24  Time: 02:43 am

Author Topic: Slow return to idle after closing the throttle  (Read 1909 times)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Slow return to idle after closing the throttle
« on: 06 July 2022, 10:28:55 pm »
For those chasing a slow return to Idle after closing the throttle on the FazersI had been chasing this slow return to idle on my 2003 Fazer 600 for a while and bike was a bit lazy on the throttle, response not as positive as it used to be. 
Everything checked out, nothing was wrong, I was totally baffled by it.
I took the carbs off to go through everything. Checked each of the diaphragms twice for holes and splits. Checked Inlet manifolds, and all vacuum caps, all were fine.
Evertyhing was absolutely as it should be
When putting the carbs back I was looking at how the air equalises at the top of the diaphragms. Removed the little gauze filter housing which allows the air to the vents in and out as slide rises and fals. Looked at it and it looked fine. Stuck a small LED light into the the back and could only see a few specks of light through it. Decided to try cleaning it and used Carb cleaner and an old beard trimmer brush as I could not remove the gauze.
See pictures of location of filter, what it looks like off the bike, plus the before cleaning and after cleaning. Bike is back running like new since and throttle response is back to normal. My theory was that since it couldn't breath in and out through the vents it was using the small holes on the base of the slide near the needles to equalise the air above the diaphragm and was slowing the rate of ascent and decent of the slide. It happened so gradually it wasn't notice. I have since checked my sons 600 and my 1000 and both were partially blocked. Cleaning these also improved the throttle response. My 600 has 955000 miles on it and both my sons 600 and my 1000 have about half that.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Slow return to idle after closing the throttle
« Reply #1 on: 07 July 2022, 12:15:38 pm »
Thanks Unfazed, excellent bit of knowledge.

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 July 2022, 01:09:31 pm »
Useful info if anyone else comes across this problem, not an obvious thing. Thanks for sharing 👍
*Disclaimer*
Nothing I say should in any way be taken as a good idea 😄

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 July 2022, 02:18:21 pm »
Nicely found - I'm wondering if these could be cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 July 2022, 07:54:42 pm »
Don't see why they shouldn't be safe in an ultrasonic cleaner. Maybe use a mild detergent solution. I am more than happy with mine and it cleans some very delicate components no problem

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 July 2022, 10:31:40 pm »
Excellent fault finding unfazed, thanks for sharing :thumbup
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 July 2022, 10:55:32 pm »
I must put it up on the Facebook group as some members there are not on this forum.

FazThou

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 July 2022, 02:39:36 pm »
Another great piece of advice
Well done unfazed

Kenyun

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - z1000r 2xTRX850 CB500X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 July 2022, 07:11:49 pm »
 Nine hundred and fifty five thousand miles!!!!...no wonder it was feeling a bit lazy, poor old thing. :lol

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 July 2022, 10:55:48 pm »
Nine hundred and fifty five thousand miles!!!!...no wonder it was feeling a bit lazy, poor old thing. :lol
That's what I thought also :lol :lol

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 July 2022, 12:55:10 pm »
Added link to FAQ.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 July 2022, 10:17:32 am »
For those chasing a slow return to Idle after closing the throttle on the FazersI had been chasing this slow return to idle on my 2003 Fazer 600 for a while and bike was a bit lazy on the throttle, response not as positive as it used to be. 
Everything checked out, nothing was wrong, I was totally baffled by it.
I took the carbs off to go through everything. Checked each of the diaphragms twice for holes and splits. Checked Inlet manifolds, and all vacuum caps, all were fine.
Evertyhing was absolutely as it should be
When putting the carbs back I was looking at how the air equalises at the top of the diaphragms. Removed the little gauze filter housing which allows the air to the vents in and out as slide rises and fals. Looked at it and it looked fine. Stuck a small LED light into the the back and could only see a few specks of light through it. Decided to try cleaning it and used Carb cleaner and an old beard trimmer brush as I could not remove the gauze.
See pictures of location of filter, what it looks like off the bike, plus the before cleaning and after cleaning. Bike is back running like new since and throttle response is back to normal. My theory was that since it couldn't breath in and out through the vents it was using the small holes on the base of the slide near the needles to equalise the air above the diaphragm and was slowing the rate of ascent and decent of the slide. It happened so gradually it wasn't notice. I have since checked my sons 600 and my 1000 and both were partially blocked. Cleaning these also improved the throttle response. My 600 has 955000 miles on it and both my sons 600 and my 1000 have about half that.
Just to Add to this There are two slightly smaller similar filters on the 1000 one for carbs1 & 2  and one for carbs 3 & 4
I did not have the 1000 out until last Sunday, but  knew from the throttle response  after starting it when I had refitted the filters after cleaning them if was much impoived. What a difference it made to riding the bike, so much so even my wife noticed the difference and asked what I did to the bike since it felt like it was mad to go. It took me a while to get used to the throttle response. The full effect of Ivan's kit modification were finally unleashed :lol