Date: 17-05-24  Time: 15:20 pm

Author Topic: Just how bad is the rear brake?  (Read 1235 times)

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Just how bad is the rear brake?
« on: 19 June 2014, 11:37:54 pm »
Changed my chain today and while it was apart I noticed one of my pistons was seized on the rear caliper, anyway many fiddly hours later the brakes are back together and on the bike. It works but it's crap to say the least, it's never been much good. I can't get the rear to lock up if I stamp on it (not that I want to but you know what I'm getting at. Are they just this bad anyway? Or should I strip and replace all the seals and stuff? I bled the brakes and there was no air comin through, do I need to bleed them more? Should the wheel just spin freely as I can hear a little bit I friction from the pads? The pads look quite old to be fair maybe I'll get a new set.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Just how bad is the rear brake?
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2014, 06:09:21 am »
When it's working correctly just a light tap on the brake lever will be responsive, and it will then return to let the wheel spin freely, so i'd say you do still have a a bit of seizing going on.
If you brake when the bike's stationary then you'll always get a very minimal bit of friction but it shouldn't sound like it's rubbing or grating.

Don't get pads that are too harsh for the rear as they can wear the discs down much quicker.
I think i used SBS ceramic pads last time on my bike, rather than organic, to minimise the dust output, which is a main cause of the pots sticking.

Once you've got the rear caliper working properly it's always worth a quick service every 6 months, pads out, gently push the pots out, and clean up with a toothbrush and brake cleaner, then smear red rubber grease on the exposed outer parts of the pots, and it will keep them in good shape for much longer.

Everyone else is going to tell you to upgrade the caliper with a 1000 version, although i've never felt the need personally, but each to their own i s'pose. :)
« Last Edit: 20 June 2014, 06:10:54 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

pointer2null

• Ye canna' change the laws of physics!
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - NC750X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2014, 02:50:47 pm »
if you've disturbed the pads they may take a while to settle down. If you inadvertently swapped them over they may take a while longer to bed back in...

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2014, 05:30:26 pm »
Christ i locked mine up the other day, back slid out a bit, entering a roundabout, i hope no one was watching. :lol
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 June 2014, 05:39:44 pm »
If Yamaha had mounted the standard caliper above the swing arm rather than below it I don't think there would have been any problems with it