Date: 21-05-24  Time: 00:23 am

Author Topic: Dodgy Hot Grips or problem with charging system?  (Read 1060 times)

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Dodgy Hot Grips or problem with charging system?
« on: 14 November 2013, 12:52:52 am »
Hi, so I've got oxford hot grips, the ones that were on there originally were focced, I bought a control unit from ebay and all was working ok. Hot grips started playing up though resetting to the lowest blue led. Seemed as though this was when I'd hit a bump but not 100%.

Now I turn the power on for the grips I all I get is the 40% amber led blinking but so dim you can hardly see it. I'm thinking maybe there's not enough power when the engines running. I've noticed when I've got the brake on that the headlight will dim ever so slightly maybe there's too much load on the system? Any ideas how I can check this or any other ideas?

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: Dodgy Hot Grips or problem with charging system?
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2013, 06:40:03 am »
First thing I'd check is your battery; they get a kicking in this weather. A knackered reg / rec is feasible, r/r's are usually the weak point in any bike's charging system.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2013, 07:27:11 am »
Hi, so I've got oxford hot grips, the ones that were on there originally were focced, I bought a control unit from ebay and all was working ok. Hot grips started playing up though resetting to the lowest blue led. Seemed as though this was when I'd hit a bump but not 100%.

Now I turn the power on for the grips I all I get is the 40% amber led blinking but so dim you can hardly see it. I'm thinking maybe there's not enough power when the engines running. I've noticed when I've got the brake on that the headlight will dim ever so slightly maybe there's too much load on the system? Any ideas how I can check this or any other ideas?

Are these the later ones where the control unit has a green "low charge" LED. If so, then you can set them where you like and if your charging circuit is starting to fail this green LED will notice the volt drop (say when at idle) and start to flash - which then return to the preset heat setting when you start off again (charging circuit picks up).

If this is not happening then I'd be looking at the control unit for the grips.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2013, 08:00:53 am »
Its standard for the headlight to dim slightly when applying the brakes when stationary, the same as the headlight will brighten slightly when upping the revs!
Some say...

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2013, 11:13:49 pm »
I'm not sure about the low voltage indicator, the
Control unit has a an on/off button on the left then + and - on the left. They're physical rubber buttons rather than the ones that are under the printed sticker if that makes sense. I'll give it a good charge this weekend and see what happens. I got a feeling it's gonna be the control unit, back out with the under gloves by the look of it.