Date: 24-04-24  Time: 07:46 am

Author Topic: Cooling system flush and refill  (Read 1354 times)

s25mjohnson

• Cager in Training
  • Mike Johnson
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Cooling system flush and refill
« on: 03 April 2021, 12:48:48 pm »
Hi All
Advice gratefully appreciated re best/economical products to flush Fazer cooling system and refill.  Love this forum - got me through all servicing issues -thank you!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Cooling system flush and refill
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2021, 02:46:07 pm »
economical - water from a hose to flush it then refil it with pink coolant
« Last Edit: 03 April 2021, 02:47:10 pm by BBROWN1664 »
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2021, 07:02:15 pm »
Radflush, it's not expensive, and will clean up the waterways like you're descaling a kettle.
Perfect temperature to do it as well, just empty out your system first, replace the bottom bolt, pour all of the bottle in then top up with water.
You can then either let the bike tick over on the centre stand for about 15mins (if you're lucky you may even hear the fan kick in), or take the bike for a good blast.
Either way, once done, empty the system and also flush with a hose.
After that refill the bike with coolant, making sure the overflow expansion tank level is correct too, and then you're all done.
« Last Edit: 03 April 2021, 07:04:17 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 April 2021, 07:20:15 pm »
If your cooling system is not contaminated  in any way simply flush out system with garden hose and then refill with  Pink OAT coolant from motor factor rather than expensive bike brands.Its basically all the same stuff - why pay morethanyouhave to? Should be good for 36 months which is recommended change interval.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2021, 08:26:06 pm »
economical - water from a hose to flush it then refil it with pink coolant
when you say with a hosepipe do you just mean tap water without any rad stuff in it. Or do you mean stick the hose in the rad and let it run out the drain bolt.
Wouldn't that just flush out a very small part of the engine and bypass most of it that would of otherwise been got to on being pumped around everywhere.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 April 2021, 08:38:17 pm »
If your cooling system is not contaminated  in any way simply flush out system with garden hose and then refill with  Pink OAT coolant from motor factor rather than expensive bike brands.Its basically all the same stuff - why pay morethanyouhave to? Should be good for 36 months which is recommended change interval.
I thought OAT was good for 5 years
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 April 2021, 10:23:33 am »
If there was no obvious contamination and no overheating or other issues I would simply run the water through the top filler until water emerged clear at drain plug. I have used Radflush as Darrsi suggests where there has been rust flakes etc or residue from products like Radweld.
Quite possibly OAT coolant is good for 5 years- I was just going by Yamaha recommendations-they may of course be referring to the "old school" ethylene glycol type antifreeze.
I think some owners have issues where previously cooling system has been diluted down with tap water as a top up measure especially in hard water areas. Just my thoughts.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 April 2021, 10:31:47 am »
The fact that he's asking though suggests there's no previous history of a good clean out.
Personally, I would still do the Radflush treatment, then log the date for future reference.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.