Date: 17-05-24  Time: 04:02 am

Author Topic: Embarrasing!  (Read 1537 times)

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Embarrasing!
« on: 02 October 2017, 09:51:00 am »
Got to work this morning, went in, got changed.  Popped back to the bike to get my lunch.......where is the top box?  Got my gear back on and rode back along my route, found what was left of the box and the contents strewn over the expressway about 2 miles from the office, do'h.  Had to dart in/out of traffic retrieving my various top box flopsom, my lunch, spare clothes and some bars for a member on here.

Got pretty much everything that was in there but a few things had been run over, including the crash bars :(  Had to leave a pair of emergency undies on the other side of the road as I wasn't prepared to stop traffic for them haha so just kicked the remaining bits of top box off the road and left it at that!  Could have been worse I suppose.
Intentionally left blank

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Embarrasing!
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2017, 10:04:00 am »
That's worrying. What make of box was it and did you only attach it to the bike this morning as maybe/obviously the locking mechanism hadn't located properly. Hopefully a bike wasn't behind you as he'd be needing your spare underpants. :lol
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2017, 10:13:12 am »
I leave it on the bike so wasn't a fitting error, its been on a while now.  Must have been overloaded, I can only assume it broke off rather than came loose because the bolt is always really stiff (I need to use pliers to get it off) and I do always give it a quick lift when I close it to check if it wobbles etc.

It is/was just a cheap generic type like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-back-top-box-case-universal-scooter-motorbike-for-luggage-2-helmets-/252320796549?hash=item3abf7dcf85:g:6ZwAAOSwvgdW52vq

It came with the first Fazer I bought so was probably 5 years old at least, looked ok though, no stress evidence etc.  It was identical to that one but was branded a Renntech. 
Intentionally left blank

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2017, 10:21:00 am »
Was it just the box that came off or the rack failing and taking the box with it?
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 October 2017, 10:27:43 am »
Just the box, the rack etc is still there and has nothing on it to suggest anything went wrong, it looks like I literally just removed the box.  No scratches or issues around the rear bolt hole (where the top box mounting bolt goes), the lip at the front that takes the tongue on the box looks fine too, no stress marks or shiny parts to suggest it was pulled out etc.
Intentionally left blank

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 October 2017, 12:56:19 pm »
I have always put a big bolt with a wing nut (wingnut on inside) on through my boxes and left them on bike, just in case a pillion leaned on them and it came loose.
I have only just started trusting the lock system.
Not now though.
Glad you got your stuff back

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2017, 01:17:58 pm »
Oh dear. I'd like to say that it has never happened to me but a few years ago I turned up at my mates house and he commented on the new rack... So where's the box??? I never did find it.

Anyhoo... I happen to have a Givi monolock top-box with adaptor plate for sale if you want it. It's in very good condition, I'm not sure if you'd get 2 helmets in at the same time (if you can it will be very tight). Send me a message if you're interested.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 October 2017, 01:30:04 pm »
Had that happen to me with a Renntec sports rack that had a top box on.
I was slowing down at night going through a 6' 6" and the box went past me.
The rack just snapped clean in half.

The sports racks have a VERY low weight recommendation.......lesson learned.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 October 2017, 06:47:06 pm »
Looks like the captive nut in the plate, and no doubt the bolt, had rusted enough for it all to just pull through. No threads left on the nut.

So when the new one arrives I will either keep it well greased or replace with stainless. Might see what they use on the factory m1 top boxes, some fancy TiNi coated jobs.
Intentionally left blank