Date: 01-05-24  Time: 11:48 am

Author Topic: YORK RAILWAY MUSEUM  (Read 2544 times)

fazernigel

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - CB500S CB500
    • View Profile
YORK RAILWAY MUSEUM
« on: 06 July 2013, 11:13:05 am »
Hi Everybody I was wondering if any of you have been to the York railway museum lately. All the A4 class trains are there together on display to celebrate Mallards stream record of 126mph which was set 75 years ago this week. The engineering on trains are something I got to see. I am planning a trip up from Wiltshire this week  on the fazer and just wondered if anybody has been there recently

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: YORK RAILWAY MUSEUM
« Reply #1 on: 06 July 2013, 11:19:45 am »
No , haven't been there, always wanted to and will someday - is that where the Flying Scotsman is? (yeah, I know, insert appropriate smartass remarks here... :rolleyes ) Duly noted that Mallard was painted blue, quack, quack...

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 July 2013, 11:20:46 am »
Hi Nigel,

Would love to join you but work dictates a no.
Where abouts are you in Wiltshire, i'm in Trogadishu.
Nick
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

fazernigel

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - CB500S CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2013, 11:29:54 am »
Hi Nick
I am in Calne.
Nigel

fazernigel

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - CB500S CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2013, 11:41:20 am »
Flying Scotsman is at the York railway museum but it is in the workshop waiting for a refurb.
Imagine what it would have been like to see Mallard and Flying Scotsman back in the day when they where in service or even to have travelled on them.
 I sometimes wonder what we have now that future generations will want to visit in a museum and say that must have been amazing to have been part of that in 2013!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2013, 11:47:07 am »
Simple - FZS1000 gen 1!  :)
With technology, and especially computerised this, that & the other being todays icons, they'll be able to have very small museums I shouldn't wonder.

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 July 2013, 12:13:06 pm »
Hi Everybody I was wondering if any of you have been to the York railway museum lately. All the A4 class trains are there together on display to celebrate Mallards stream record of 126mph which was set 75 years ago this week. The engineering on trains are something I got to see. I am planning a trip up from Wiltshire this week  on the fazer and just wondered if anybody has been there recently

I saw this on the BBC website and seriously thought about making the trip - i thought it just a bit too far from North Kent, but Wiltshire is just as far isn't it? Would love to see them altogether.
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

pete786.u

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 July 2013, 12:26:28 pm »
fazernigel. I can remember them when they were in service, used to go train spotting on Hitchin station ( No anoraks in those days )  :lol  and see them come through on their way oop north. I can also remember seeing the prototype Deltic which is also in the Museum at York   

fazernigel

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - CB500S CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 July 2013, 12:49:19 pm »
Pete you are so lucky to have been around in those times. When I was born the Somerset and Dorset railway had only two weeks to run before closure. My father very kindly put me in a pram and we made a trip before it closed. I think that's where my interest in old railway lines and stations and engines come from.
When Beeching wielded his axe over the railway system in this country of course he did not have the benefit of hindsight but how useful would some of those old lines be to us now?

fazernigel

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - CB500S CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 July 2013, 12:56:22 pm »

I saw this on the BBC website and seriously thought about making the trip - i thought it just a bit too far from North Kent, but Wiltshire is just as far isn't it? Would love to see them altogether.
Steve there are two ways to York for me which is interesting sightseeing route which according to route planner is 244 miles but the most direct route which is up the fosseway and on the M1 is 209 miles so I am going to set of early on the most direct route just on this occasion to get the job done and have maximum time in the museum

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 July 2013, 07:34:47 pm »
I used to work at the museum but that was over 6 years ago, the firm I worked for had the maintainance contract for the buildings.

I used to watch and "spot" the old steam trains as I lived only half a mile away form the main east coast line, and traveled on some of them but it was a treat if you got on one of the new diesels as they were much cleaner?

If you go to the museum in a car it's about £10 to park they have a web site you can check, not sure how much the other car parks are but the park & ride are free but you have to pay on the bus?

fazernigel

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - CB500S CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 July 2013, 09:33:26 pm »
Thanks for the information Chaz

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 July 2013, 10:05:14 pm »
I've usually parked in a ncp car park across the road from the museum and behind the railway station. Could be cheaper.