Date: 27-05-24  Time: 15:42 pm

Author Topic: Top box 'n' racks  (Read 2760 times)

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
Top box 'n' racks
« on: 25 November 2012, 09:58:36 pm »
Hi all!

I plan on fitting a topbox to my Fazer (carting stuff home, and keeping the laptop safe from english weather!), but I cannot find any cheap racks for the bike. The cheapest ones are Rentec, but they don't take boxes. I'm thinking of building my own (well, ask the techies at Uni to help me with it) based off the Givi rack.

Also, how does the Fazer like topbox? I mean, obviously handling goes to pot, but how bad is it? I ask because the last big lot of luggage I had on my Honda Varadero made it feel like a 2-wheeled tractor!

Thanks!

The Deef's apprentice

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Top box 'n' racks
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2012, 10:16:16 pm »
I had a back box bolted onto a Renntec, until i slowed down one day approaching a 6' 6" and it snapped in half and the whole thing overtook me!
They're supposedly only designed for 5kg of weight, which is a joke to be honest, bearing in mind it's made of metal?

I've got the Givi one fitted now and i'm very happy with it. The only handling issues are on very windy days when you're hurtling up a motorway, other than that no issues at all.
My box can hold two crash helmets, but it's normally always half full of stuff, which i don't mind as i prefer a bit of extra weight over the rear tyre for a bit of stability.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2012, 10:23:17 pm »
I had a back box bolted onto a Renntec, until i slowed down one day approaching a 6' 6" and it snapped in half and the whole thing overtook me!
They're supposedly only designed for 5kg of weight, which is a joke to be honest, bearing in mind it's made of metal?

The lower prise shows how well it's made, eh?

I do like the Givi design, but the high cost of the rack is quite off-putting. Not to mention the fact that my local bike shop will sell me a 45L topbox for about £70. So, £400 odd less than what Givi charge (yes, quality isn't great. But the Givi isn't £400 better!!)
The Deef's apprentice

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2012, 10:33:37 pm »
Ebay.  £50 for a rack, £5 for a box off here and £10 for a new lock  :thumbup

I think the Givi rack will take 10kg, it's certainly well put together and feels solid.  I have the box on most of the time, doesn't seem to affect the handling much although I don't tend to have that much stuff in it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 November 2012, 10:38:10 pm »
The Renntec is fine for general light use, i see enough couriers with them on, but they are certainly no good to hold the weight of a back box safely as i found out.
I s'pose the fact that 2 of the roads i use on the way home from work have speed bumps as well didn't help, so that would've been partly to blame.

Why don't you do a free breakers yard search online, i have no doubt at all that there will be Fazers being broken that will have the Givi rack system on them?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 November 2012, 10:43:00 pm »
@Lawrence, where are you getting £50 for a rack on Ebay, i looked and couldn't see any for a Fazer?

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2012, 10:46:11 pm »
I found one which was £75 or offers.  Took a punt with £50 and it was accepted.

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 November 2012, 10:51:38 pm »
I found one which was £75 or offers.  Took a punt with £50 and it was accepted.

Lucky sod!!  :lol
The Deef's apprentice

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 November 2012, 11:08:42 pm »
Oh you bought one, sorry i thought you'd seen one for ChristoT  :lol

I think they probably officially have a 10kg limit, but they will take more than that.

They obviously have to take into consideration speed bumps, cobbled roads, etc, that will put extra pressure on them.

You have to remember that these bikes have a 187kg weight limit as well, that includes any extra luggage, which all sounds okay, until you get a lump like me that weighs 100kg alone, then the weight of the luggage, so that only allows me to have midgets or the very slim variety as passengers, which is easier for me i s'pose!  :lol

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 November 2012, 11:13:26 pm »
You have to remember that these bikes have a 187kg weight limit as well, that includes any extra luggage, which all sounds okay, until you get a lump like me that weighs 100kg alone, then the weight of the luggage, so that only allows me to have midgets or the very slim variety as passengers, which is easier for me i s'pose!  :lol

Not taking passengers works too!

I know I have a tendency to cart WAAAY too much stuff around with me, but even I would struggle to put 97kg of luggage on the back!!  :rollin
The Deef's apprentice

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 November 2012, 11:21:26 pm »
Definitely give the online breakers a go, you've got nothing to lose, and it's free.
Get them to respond via email if possible though.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #11 on: 26 November 2012, 10:07:49 am »
Check out ebay.it. Managed to get a brand new Givi one (340F) and monokey plate (M3) for £65 delivered. Loads of shops on there stocking it, some will post to UK, others won't, just send them all messages. Mine was from an ebay shop called 'Motopui'. Most of them speak enough English, so no worries there. And don't worry about duty/vat, being in the EU there's no hidden costs. Either way, it beats many of the crazy prices they go for second hand on ebay over here. When I was looking, most ended early before I could even bid, guessing someone just offered them cash up front. Plus buying new, there's no worries about all the bolts and stuff being included.

Otherwise, just order the bars (340F) from Italy, then source the M3 plate locally, as this is pretty common and fits many different bikes. Just make sure it comes with the silver metal brackets to fasten it to top of bars. I then picked up a second hand box local off ebay uk. Got an old E50 Maxia one for £57 quid.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 November 2012, 01:13:28 pm »
I made my own using an old Renntec that I had lying around. It's easier than it looks! Unfortunately I didn't take any photo's before I sold the bike, but I used 1" square steel bolted to the handrail mounts, and then welded the rack onto this. I then bolted my backbox onto it from there.

I carted my work gear using it for a couple of years on the fazer, and the kitbag stands 2 1/2 feet high, and weighs about 30kg!!! I stood it up on end (pillion seat) and bungeed it to the top box. Never let me down and was steady as a rock. The box was always loaded with kit, and the handling was a little slow, but still steady.

Word of advice when buying a box. Buy a good quality one, and don't go too big! My cheap 30 litre one I bought with the quick release mechanism decided to 'quick release' on its own once at 40mph. after buying my wifes b'day present present from Anne Summers  :lol :lol
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 November 2012, 02:19:22 pm »
I made my own using an old Renntec that I had lying around. It's easier than it looks! Unfortunately I didn't take any photo's before I sold the bike, but I used 1" square steel bolted to the handrail mounts, and then welded the rack onto this. I then bolted my backbox onto it from there.

I carted my work gear using it for a couple of years on the fazer, and the kitbag stands 2 1/2 feet high, and weighs about 30kg!!! I stood it up on end (pillion seat) and bungeed it to the top box. Never let me down and was steady as a rock. The box was always loaded with kit, and the handling was a little slow, but still steady.

Word of advice when buying a box. Buy a good quality one, and don't go too big! My cheap 30 litre one I bought with the quick release mechanism decided to 'quick release' on its own once at 40mph. after buying my wifes b'day present present from Anne Summers  :lol :lol

I plan to get the University Techies to help me - the Uni has a full blown machine shop, so tooling and experienced users aren't a problem!

Yup, sounds like me carting stoof home! As for the quick release - yikes!!

The box may be cheap, but a friend has had his on the back of a CBF125 for the past few months with no ill effects. Seeing as I plan on selling the bike next August when I go to the US on work placement anyway, it should survive long enough!
The Deef's apprentice

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 November 2012, 12:51:24 am »
Turn it into a project, sounds like a plan!

When i was at school my motor vehicle studies teacher used to say "Right, today you'll be taught how to sand down paintwork, get in the minibus, we're all going back to my house and you can sand down my E-Type Jag!
He bought them as scrap and turned them into mint show condition!
Clever man.......but a mechanical genius to boot!!
I got the highest result in my school for motor vehicle studies, yet i've still to this day never driven a car!
I've got a bike, don't need one........ :lol