Date: 19-05-24  Time: 06:11 am

Author Topic: Tyre time  (Read 3202 times)

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
Tyre time
« on: 22 November 2012, 11:57:20 pm »
I know this is probably a recurring thread in various flavours, but I thought I'd ask anyway:

The tyres on my Fazer are (for want of a better phrase) dead. Unevenly worn, bald patches, cracks - you name it, they have it! Problem is, I am completely and utterly skint (will need to borrow money to replace them. Hell, will need to borrow money for food!!). I have Continental RoadAttack2s fitted front & rear, plan to replace both.

I've found Maxxis Supermax touring tyres at £152 bundle price. Could you please a) tell me what your views are on the Maxxis (and which tyres are best for the Fazer), and b) if you can find cheaper for a (literally) starving student!!

Thanks!
The Deef's apprentice

xlewisbdx

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre time
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2012, 12:26:44 am »
Those Maxxis SuperMaxx you are on about, I have them! I bought those exact ones!

They are AWESOME!!

Only done 10 miles and they are brilliant stick like f*cking glue!

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2012, 03:59:14 am »
Those Maxxis SuperMaxx you are on about, I have them! I bought those exact ones!

They are AWESOME!!

Only done 10 miles and they are brilliant stick like f*cking glue!
I'll second that! Used them on my fzs 600 for the last couple of years. Grip right to the edge, quick warm up, and good predictable wet grip. Wear isn't too bad, got about 5500 out of the rear every time, and I ride fairly quicky. Only got the rear to let go once, but I provoked it on a smooth wet roundabout. Ace tyres, highly recommended!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 November 2012, 03:32:57 pm »
Well, the special offer expired (or they ran out). Dammit. Anyone know of any good (cheap!) tyre suppliers?

Also, what do people think of the Bridgestone BT-021s?
The Deef's apprentice

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2012, 03:36:51 pm »
depending on what riding you do maybe try a pair of x track tyres,you can pick up a pair for less tan £50(but you need to fit) and tread is like new on 7/8ths of tyre,grip is fantastic in the dry but there not realy designed for mega wet roads,iv used them in te past wit no probs at all and had loads miles out of them but im pretty much a fair weather rider!

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2012, 03:38:38 pm »
I got nearly 15k miles from a BT-021 rear tyre but by then the tyre had gone completely squre, had worn down to the innards (could see some textured surface under the rubber in at least one patch). Recently I got a pair of PR3s on and the difference is day and night. Anyway my point is BT-021 are good tyres, but there are better tyres out there.

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2012, 03:42:26 pm »
depending on what riding you do maybe try a pair of x track tyres,you can pick up a pair for less tan £50(but you need to fit) and tread is like new on 7/8ths of tyre,grip is fantastic in the dry but there not realy designed for mega wet roads,iv used them in te past wit no probs at all and had loads miles out of them but im pretty much a fair weather rider!

Unfortunbately, I doubt that would suit me. My riding is commuting with a bit of touring rather than anything sporty. And i use the bike all the time, whatever the weather. Considering the current conditions, I'm considering getting a submarine instead! Bloody rain...
The Deef's apprentice

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2012, 04:48:37 pm »
Had bt021's on both my R1, and my fzs600. Best avoid if you like to chuck it around once in a while. There's a very good reason why they were quickly superseded by Bridgestone with the 023. When they get past their best, they're awful! Had a few front end washouts with 021's. :eek the MAXIS are just superb!

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2012, 04:55:29 pm »
I am using pilot road 2's, they seem very good so far, cant comment on the maxxis for road tyres but when i raced motorcross they were very popular..
I had avon storm 2 ultra previously, great in the dry, very bad in the wet...

arch33angel

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 November 2012, 06:03:24 pm »
021's are pretty good but the front wears out rapidly. Really happy with 023's having used a couple of pairs. I've never used Maxxis but they sound good at that price!

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 November 2012, 06:52:30 pm »
Echoing what others have said but I would definitely try getting a pair of BT-023s over a pair of 021s. Can also vouch for PR3s, just had a pair fitted. They feel very grippy but you'd be looking at £260+ fitted. If I get good mileage from them it might not be seem so bad though, too early to say yet.

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 November 2012, 07:06:10 pm »
Thanks for the advice!

Based on my budget and reviews, I've bought the Maxxis, I don't think I'll get better than £152 for both!
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/tyres/maxxis-supermaxx-touring-m6029-tyres

The Deef's apprentice

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 November 2012, 11:21:20 pm »
I've got Pilot Road 2's on mine.  Cost a bit more than the Maxxis (around £250 fitted iirc) but I've done over 7k on them now and they've still got loads of tread left with virtually no squaring off.  Cost a bit more up front but last really well in my experience, although I don't tend to ride aggressively.

NotAnotherHill

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda Fireblade 900 RRV 1998
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 November 2012, 09:22:54 pm »
I don't know how people get the mileages they do out of tyres. I have gone through two sets of Pilot Road 2s on my Fazer and get just over 7k out of a set with the rear down to the wear indicators. When I spoke the local tyre fitting place, he reckoned that was good mileage. I was going to try some Conti motions at £140 a pair but he reckoned I'd not get any where the same mileage out of them.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 November 2012, 10:15:09 pm »
I don't know how people get the mileages they do out of tyres. I have gone through two sets of Pilot Road 2s on my Fazer and get just over 7k out of a set with the rear down to the wear indicators. When I spoke the local tyre fitting place, he reckoned that was good mileage. I was going to try some Conti motions at £140 a pair but he reckoned I'd not get any where the same mileage out of them.
Same here! Never got more than 8k out of a rear, and that was riding from Salisbury to Blackpool on motorways every weekend. I don't know how they do it! :)

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 November 2012, 10:00:08 am »
i used to find motorway miles killed tyres as you pretty much on same part of tyre all time! the tyres i get off my mate are the opposit there worn on the edges but new in middle thats why i recomend people getting x track tyres as dirt cheap and alto you dont get touring miles out of them the grip is ace and you can get 4 or so pairs to price of pair new tyres but its all down to personal choice and tyre of riding you do!

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 November 2012, 12:26:31 pm »
120 miles/day in rush hour traffic is the trick to getting lots of miles out of your tyres.  It's not fun though  :\