Date: 27-04-24  Time: 16:23 pm

Author Topic: Fazer 1000 gearbox issues...  (Read 2912 times)

Super_Monkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Harley Chop built by me
    • View Profile
Fazer 1000 gearbox issues...
« on: 05 September 2015, 05:18:41 pm »
posssibly issues or not, I'm not an expert so I can only give symptoms and hopefully someone may have come across this and have an idea?

Bike is a 2004 model, 28K miles, full service history.  OK, issue is sometimes (only sometimes) when changing between 1st and 2nd it feels like what car drivers would say finding a gear is like stirring a pot with a spoon syndrome, going into first is clunky but I know that this can be the norm, I've had it on various other bikes over the years so this isn't really bothering me too much.  But the main concern is when trying to change between 1st to 2nd and then back down.  Sometimes it finds the gear no problem but at others it feels like it needs a good stamp to get it into gear and that doesn't always work (no I'm not actually stamping on the lever!).  No nasty noises coming from the engine or gearbox, chain is going to need a change pretty soon but other than that I'm stumped?  All other gears are fine, new clutch cable fitted and set up correctly etc

Any ideas?

cheers
I like bikes....ALOT!!

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
Re: Fazer 1000 gearbox issues...
« Reply #1 on: 05 September 2015, 07:07:49 pm »
This is in my view the one big let down with the fazer, I've had 3 and every one clunks like a bag of spanners. Some are worse than others, my current one sounds the same as yours from what you describe. I've tried everything to sort it with no real luck, just ride the bike and don't worry about it.
Jim.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 September 2015, 10:07:19 pm »
A few things that spring to mind -

1. check your drive chain is correctly tensioned - a sloppy chain causing gear change issues.
2. check the gear lever linkage isn't worn and flapping about - same as above.
3. will it go in and out of 1st/2nd when the bike is moving, just not easily when your at a standstill..?
4. if the above 1 & 2 are fine, and gear selection is ok when moving then the clutch may be dragging due to a partially worn clutch basket, see below.

This is easy enough to remedy -

1. with the bike on the side stand pop the clutch cover off - put an old rag on the ground below bike to catch any oil.
2. with the bike in gear, using a 10mm spanner undo all 5 clutch spring bolts & springs.
3. using tippex make a line on the top cover plate, clutch plates and basket - this wil enable you to put the plates back in the same position (the plates, basket etc will have all worn together)
4. then remove the top cover plate.
4. then one by one remove the friction & metal plates noting the order they came out  - I just thread them on a piece of wire/string so I don't fuckup the order etc)
5. then place an old rag under the bottom of the clutch basket - this will become clear in the nest point.
6. using a small/flat medium or low file remove all the burring on each of the clutch basket fingers - to do this properly will take you an hour or two.
7. thoroughly clean the clutch basket of any metal filings - the old rag you placed under the clutch basket will have stopped any fillings going inside the engine.
8. put all the friction/metal clutch back on the order they came out.
9. put the top cover plate back and springs back on.
10. place some thread-lock on all 5 bolts and do them up to the correct torque setting - if you don't have a small torque wrench then using a 10mm short-throw spanner do them all up till they stop them give them a 1/4 turn.
11. pack out the clutch-arm assy in the clutch cover with some grease, as this will help keep it in the correct position for when you put the clutch cover back on.

If your gear box is fine, the above should fix it. if you don't want to go through the above hassle I have a complete clutch that's already have the above done to it. If the above dosent fix it then the previous owner may have been very rough with their gear changes and possible bent one of the gear selector forks - and that is an engine strip. Unless you know a mate or a very cheap mechanic =- cheaper to buy another engine.
« Last Edit: 09 September 2015, 10:34:01 am by b1k3rdude »

Super_Monkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 September 2015, 11:12:49 am »
Cheers guys , I should have also mentioned I changed the clutch plates less than 500 miles ago, all done correctly.  Chain also adjusted properly and yes it seems to be when I'm at standstill or coming to a stop.
I like bikes....ALOT!!

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2015, 11:47:01 am »
When you replaced the clutch plates, was it just the friction and the metal plates? and where they genuine? If they were pattern, did you measure the thickness and flatness of said plates? And can you remember the condition of the clutch basket fingers when you changed the plates? were they releltivly smooth or did they have lots of ridges/indentations?

The reason I am leabing towards the clucth being the culprit is because I have the same issue, albeit to a lesser degree with my 2005/20k. And its was purely down to the ridges in the clutch basket fingers, after I had painstakingly smoothed each side of all of the fingers the bike was back to lovely again.
« Last Edit: 06 September 2015, 11:49:14 am by b1k3rdude »

Super_Monkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 September 2015, 03:42:14 pm »
When you replaced the clutch plates, was it just the friction and the metal plates? and where they genuine? If they were pattern, did you measure the thickness and flatness of said plates? And can you remember the condition of the clutch basket fingers when you changed the plates? were they releltivly smooth or did they have lots of ridges/indentations?

The reason I am leabing towards the clucth being the culprit is because I have the same issue, albeit to a lesser degree with my 2005/20k. And its was purely down to the ridges in the clutch basket fingers, after I had painstakingly smoothed each side of all of the fingers the bike was back to lovely again.

I just changed the friction plates for genuine EBC ones.  From memory all seemed in good order with the basket, plates came out fine with no snagging etc?
I like bikes....ALOT!!

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 September 2015, 05:42:28 pm »
I've not heard bad things about the EBC ones and I'm sure lots of folks on here have used them. So that then brings up the question, did you pre-soak the friction plates in engine oil for a few hours or over night before installing them..? The FZS1000 is notorious for not supplying enough oil to the plates, and pre-soaking them working around this issue.

If you have fitted them dry you will be getting some clutch drag, and the upshot of that is  - they will over heat and wear prematurely and unevenly which will cause even more drag.
« Last Edit: 06 September 2015, 05:45:31 pm by b1k3rdude »