Date: 03-05-24  Time: 11:37 am

Author Topic: 1 / 2 piece leathers  (Read 4886 times)

odbguy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
1 / 2 piece leathers
« on: 20 January 2015, 09:49:43 am »
So Frostie got me wondering with his question a few days ago about leather jackets.
I own a textile jacket and have always worn that. I got given a leather jacket  last week but couldn't imagine myself wearing it.
The real question here though is 1 and 2 piece leathers .   Who here wears them?  There obviously a requirement  for track days. But do any here prefer to wear them to textile clothing on a daily basis.
I have seen some RST 1 piece leathers at a shop wear I live and I'm strongly tempted to buy them but not sure if they suit the ride position etc of the Fazer  ...

what do you wear ?

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
Re: 1 / 2 piece leathers
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2015, 10:00:10 am »
2 piece leathers....not matching tho
trousers and a leather jacket with a hi viz on top

or  2 piece textiles that can be zipped together but never do, I'd only ever go 1 piece if I got a sports bike as I personally think you look daft otherwise
fire never sleeps

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2015, 10:43:39 am »
I think a 1 piece can work with a fazer......so long as they're a plain set with harly any branding or humps etc.

I got an old 1 piece off my dads mate & they were nicely worn in on the track & amazingly comfy......much much better than a 2 piece for comfort while riding...theyre a Hein gericke set in plain colours.

Off the bike though then they become really hot in summer & even getting sticky hot and hard to get on & off & when having a tea break you get the shoulders off but end up holding them up behind your back with 1 arm......only stopped wearing them as the zip came off the runner but i kept them to get fixed as i dont think ill ever get comfier....they are more spacious around the waist & hips because they dont have to be that tight like a pair of trousers that could be dragged off in a crash.

Still love my furygan leather jacket, dont like the trousers so when i get the zip fixed on the 1 piece theyll be mostly used & then furygan jacket & kevlar jeans for the hottest weather or when im doing loads of stops.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2015, 11:18:59 am »
Got 4 textiles Jackets and 3 textile trousers and I've got my eye on a few leather jackets (including a sweet Furygan) for when it gets warmer. Plan to use it with Kevlar jeans only - to complete the look  :lol

Picture of Noggy in his 1 piece below tells me some things are just wrong

Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2015, 11:22:41 am »
I have a set of Scott Venom two-piece leathers which I really like.  I have fabric kit as well but leather just feels better. 

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 January 2015, 11:31:41 am »
Frosties you foccer :lol ......you're like the fat police.

They actually suck you in like those spanks things that i ........errr....women wear :b

Here i am up in the mighty scotland.....looking mighty of course 8)

Second pic purely coincidence that my belly got covered by the bike......of course.

Poor old 600 fazer :'(
« Last Edit: 20 January 2015, 11:38:59 am by noggythenog »
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 January 2015, 01:09:09 pm »
my textiles are better in the wet (goretex) but I always feel safer in leather (cue different thread coming on)
fire never sleeps

odbguy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2015, 02:31:51 pm »
What you need 4 textile jackets for Frosties? Throw one my way ;) haha ..
Iv been looking at some RST leather jackets this morning on fleabay and quite like the look.
(The leather jacket I was given by my dads mate is pretty old school ... my dad would probably want me to wear it along with his piss pot helmet and goggles. Lol)
I think the most likely outcome will be an RST 2 piece and some kevlar jeans. Save the leather trousers for spare or track days..
Il have to stow away a gortex jacket for of I ever get caught short.

As maddog said about feeling safer .. I tried on some 1 piece leathers on and they immediately felt better than anything I had ever worn before. Nice and tight, no random pockets, everything in place and held were it should be. .
I took my misis with me when I tried on the 1 piece .   She took an instant disliking saying .. look at you, you think you getting ready for the TT ...
I wish!  Lol
« Last Edit: 20 January 2015, 02:34:42 pm by odbguy »

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2015, 03:57:57 pm »
I have a set of Scott Venom two-piece leathers which I really like.  I have fabric kit as well but leather just feels better.

my textiles are better in the wet (goretex) but I always feel safer in leather (cue different thread coming on)

Similar to the above. If the forecast looks good I use my 2 piece leathers for the better protection. If its cold or wet, textiles.

For touring or weekends I always look at the forecast and take into account where Im heading and the likely weather. 

I bought the textiles as I got fed up putting waterproofs on and off on days where there were heavy showers. The minus points to textiles are if its hot you need to take the waterproof lining out to keep cool but you don't want to have the faff of putting the lining back in if it rains.

I used to have 1 piece leathers for trackdays, they had perforations on the chest to let air in. I used them for touring a couple if times when heading to hot climates, Barcelona in June and Mugello Italy in the end of May. They lack pockets and when you stop you cant just tack the top half off and hang it on a chair. 1 piece leathers for track use tend to be a closer fit, so its not always possible to put an extra layer on if its cold.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 January 2015, 04:00:59 pm »
Forgot to mention that 1 piece leathers are generally designed for sports bikes, and shaped for the best fit when in the racing crouch. Mine were ok when riding my YZF1300, but you couldn't walk around without looking like you had something wrong with you as I couldn't stand up straight comfortably.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 January 2015, 04:11:14 pm »
I have both and although I find the textile jacket warmer I feel like it acts like a sail when I'm riding. All   the pockets and buckles seem to catch the wind. After wearing it, as soon as I put on my Dainese leather jacket I feel so much more streamlined and can actually feel less resistance in the wind.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 January 2015, 08:42:55 pm »
What you need 4 textile jackets for Frosties? Throw one my way ;) haha ..
Iv been looking at some RST leather jackets this morning on fleabay and quite like the look. :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

I think the most likely outcome will be an RST 2 piece and some kevlar jeans.  :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

4 Textiles - 1 longer length, 2 waist length (1 a new Furygan  :kiss ) and the obligatory teabag jobby for summer. Perfect sense to me. Just NEED that leather Furygan leather one and I'll be as cool as penguin piss :lol
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

The Gentleman Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ400
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 January 2015, 09:48:54 pm »
I've got a set of larger than needed no name 2 piece leathers for winter, because I can get clothes under them to keep warm. I've also recently got a new set of Dainese 2 piece with perforations which I imagine will keep me super cool in summer :D

Tuckerhauser

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Bmw s1000rr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 January 2015, 11:13:17 pm »
Leathers for me generally 2 piece unless its red hot and the 1 piece t bag leathers are used.
just cant get way with textiles maybe because they are old but they feel too bulky and are noisy at speed

Nebuchernezzer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Ktm250exc
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 January 2015, 03:04:19 am »
Commute in leather jacket (Shift) and kevlar jeans with gauntlets and full height alpinestars boots.
It's been around 35 deg C here lately and that's still all fine as long as you're moving.
My commute is only 20mins to half an hour but it's not totally sweltering in there.
Jacket is non perforated but has a removable liner that i've obviously removed for summer.
I find my jeans actually feel hotter, probably the knee and hip pads and the kevlar lining meaning they do zero breathing.

Got a single piece Berik suit for track days or for when i go 2 up (my GF wears my leather jacket etc then) and i find it quite comfy on the Fazer.

I have found with single piece suits that if you are slightly short and quite skinny (5'10" and 69kg) you can get heaps that fit you well, if you're tall and skinny like my mates...better off going for 2 piece cos most of the tall suits are wide as well and are like sails on them.

odbguy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 January 2015, 04:02:04 pm »
I recon I'm going to ask my misis nicely to get me a new Richa Phantom textile jacket for my bday.
Then treat myself to the RST tractech 2 piece in the summer  ..
Get some RST kevlar jeans too .. not going full textile :)
My Fazer in for mot tomorrow ... can't wait to get it back 

The Gentleman Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ400
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 January 2015, 04:35:01 pm »
I recon I'm going to ask my misis nicely to get me a new Richa Phantom textile jacket for my bday.
Then treat myself to the RST tractech 2 piece in the summer  ..
Get some RST kevlar jeans too .. not going full textile :)
My Fazer in for mot tomorrow ... can't wait to get it back

I was sure I was going to get a 2 piece RST Tracktech but when I tried it on I found it didn't fit me very well at all, and the arms were really short so wearing short summer gloves wouldn't be an option. So I don't know if you've tried them on but I didn't expect that at all.

odbguy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 January 2015, 04:49:46 pm »

I was sure I was going to get a 2 piece RST Tracktech but when I tried it on I found it didn't fit me very well at all, and the arms were really short so wearing short summer gloves wouldn't be an option. So I don't know if you've tried them on but I didn't expect that at all.

I have tried on the 1 piece Tractech  ... Not the 2 piece though.
I thought the 1 piece was a pretty good fit for me although I did notice the arms were quite short ... Not overly short though.
I assumed this was for the gloves to fit over .. I guess the 2 piece will made in the same way ..
Do you have strangely long arms?? :/

The Gentleman Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ400
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 January 2015, 05:32:12 pm »

I have tried on the 1 piece Tractech  ... Not the 2 piece though.
I thought the 1 piece was a pretty good fit for me although I did notice the arms were quite short ... Not overly short though.
I assumed this was for the gloves to fit over .. I guess the 2 piece will made in the same way ..
Do you have strangely long arms?? :/

I don't know if they are strangely long but I am 6ft 2" with broad shoulders, maybe I'm just not their shape :o

odbguy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 January 2015, 06:08:43 pm »
Haha you have an inch on me and I'm quite broad ..
Hmmm I'm intrigued as to how far up your arm they came? ! On me the 1 piece was size 44, came upto just behind my wrist bone  ...
Would you say in your opinion that was too short? I thought abit more length would have been nice but they were  ok ..

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 January 2015, 06:23:53 pm »
2 piece leathers for me, never had textile but then again I don't do rain, Hein Garicke outlander  (think its outlander ) jacket and dannisport leather on me legs, jacket has removable armer in back/ shoulders/ elbows. Trousers have it in knees and hips (removable), trousers have a textile stretch crotch area mmmmmm nice. And also behind the knees.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2015, 06:24:46 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

The Gentleman Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ400
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 January 2015, 06:42:27 pm »
Haha you have an inch on me and I'm quite broad ..
Hmmm I'm intrigued as to how far up your arm they came? ! On me the 1 piece was size 44, came upto just behind my wrist bone  ...
Would you say in your opinion that was too short? I thought abit more length would have been nice but they were  ok ..

That sounds fine if you plan on using gauntlet gloves with it. I wanted to have the option to use short gloves in the hot weather so wouldn't work for me. Seriously though, they were just over half way down my forearm  :eek

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 January 2015, 04:22:27 pm »
Textiles for winter, leather trousers with mesh jacket for summer, 1 piece leathers for trackdays
Some say...