Date: 06-05-24  Time: 14:42 pm

Author Topic: That was hard work  (Read 798 times)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
That was hard work
« on: 02 June 2014, 11:22:04 am »
Bought this bike for my son a week or two back for when his licence becomes derestricted in August.
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,13186.0.html 

Till then, I thought I would get it insured to have a hoot on myself. Have you see how hard it is to insure a bike not registered in your own name? Assuming it's all registered to me, £80. Registered to my son £250+ with many companies not quoting. Ended up getting it added to my other policy via Hastings Direct who actually understood what was going on but did have a bit of a wobble when I mentioned a non-standard exhaust can.

FFS, how many Ford Focus have a standard exhaust pipe after 15 years??
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: That was hard work
« Reply #1 on: 02 June 2014, 11:25:58 am »

I had a right drama just trying to get a days insurance to pick up my FZ...& now my fzs insurance is due next month & i really cant be arsed with the hassle of trying to get insured on it only for a few months.....really not much flexibility out there.

On the other hand i did add a rear anti roll bar to my skoda......insured by skoda.....told them id renew if they accepted that......no extra charge...wtf :eek
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 June 2014, 03:33:36 pm »
"Family fleet" policies might be worth a look if you have cars to insure too.

Andy

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2014, 03:51:26 pm »
Andy, Who does them?
Between us we have three cars (on a multi-car policy) and now three bikes (two on mine and one on sons policy).
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 June 2014, 04:36:26 pm »
I'll find out for you but will need to ask my brother when he's next out for a pint - shouldn't be a long delay!

As I understand it's a fixed price on the basis that you're only driving any one vehicle at a time (or two if there are two people on the policy), and so last time he added a bike there was no extra charge. They only asked if the value was less than £25k (it was!) as that was how it was banded.

I don't think the policy is cheap, except it's cheap by the time you've individually insured a number of bikes and cars.

Will let you know what he says.

Andy