Date: 30-04-24  Time: 11:08 am

Author Topic: Triumph advice  (Read 1620 times)

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
Triumph advice
« on: 30 March 2014, 02:22:08 pm »
I'm thinking of selling my FZ6 Fazer and buying a Sprint ST 1050cc, anyone on the forum ever owned one?, if so what are the good and bad points?,  I did fancy going for the FZ1 but can't find one that ticks all the right boxes for me, is there any other bike in the 1000cc sport touring genre that might be worth considering? thanks in advance Rob.
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: Triumph advice
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2014, 03:16:05 pm »
As mentioned somewhere else on these forums, I was looking to get the Sprint 1050ST as a second bike (for fun, rather than for carrying luggage and going on holiday etc).

I test rode one and it felt a nice bike, lots of smooth power with no nasty foibles that I found (although it was only a short run). Unfortunately life got in the way so it's on the back burner for now, but I may well consider it again in the future.

The only drawback I found was that it needs a full service every 12,000 miles instead of every 24,000 like the FZ6 does which could bump up the running costs a bit.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2014, 03:38:20 pm »
Friend of mine has a ST1050, and I've got a Speed Triple 955 with the same design engine. I haven't ridden the ST, but done 18K on my Speed Trippy. With both bikes it's all about the engine. Ladles of torque and character.
He tours with me on his ST and it seems great at that. As said, major services at 12K including valve checks, but that's Triumph for you! They tend to err on the side of caution (and it obviously earns the dealers a few bob!)

fazed

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2014, 04:44:22 pm »
I had an ST1050  which came with panniers as standard.  It was torquey rapid and good on fuel.  The underseat exhaust kept my passenger warm on a foggy cold night in France heading down to Le Mans!.  It handles quite well and when I put on a higher level screen on it constant 100mph speeds on (foreign) motorways were sustainable for long periods.  It was comfortable and I could spend many hours in the saddle more than many other bikes I have owned.  Would I recommend one in short from my experience -yes 
This is as young as you're ever going to be!

Hamos

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2014, 05:39:26 pm »
A good bike, more at touring end than sporting end, opposite to the FZ1.  Engine is great, comfortable too. 

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2014, 06:51:31 pm »
I had a tiger 1050, and as the others said, it's all about that engine!

The ST 1050 would be my choice should I need a long distance bike, and tuning it is a doddle, as you can download maps directly to your ECU.

I did all the airflow mods to my tiger, and downloaded a custom map from the tiger forum, it transformed the bike into a trailie rocket!!!!!

It's all about the engine! :D:D
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2014, 08:09:30 pm »
It was one of my must have bikes before I bought the fazer , I did a demo ride on one from Triumph dealer in Cheltenham , great engine , great handling , great sound , I spent over an hour riding it , but unfortunately I found it very painful in my hips , I am a short arse though 5'8'' with short legs and long body . Hopefully you will get on better with it than me . 

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2014, 09:13:48 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys, been having a look through the localish dealers and see there is a gt in Aberdeen, might have to take a run through for a testride and see how it goes from there.
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 March 2014, 01:43:21 pm »
Love my GT which now has over 10k miles. Obviously you need to decide for yourself but here were my initial thoughts - direct comparison to Gen 1 Thou.

Haven't updated it in ages bit nothing has really changed.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 March 2014, 02:41:37 pm »
I'm thinking of selling my FZ6 Fazer and buying a Sprint ST 1050cc, anyone on the forum ever owned one?, if so what are the good and bad points?,  I did fancy going for the FZ1 but can't find one that ticks all the right boxes for me, is there any other bike in the 1000cc sport touring genre that might be worth considering? thanks in advance Rob.

Er, let me see now, what could possibly be worth considering?  :rollin

Nah, I'll just shut up then  :D