Date: 18-04-24  Time: 04:57 am

Author Topic: Unable to Select Third?  (Read 1138 times)

Walkerfromwolves

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
Unable to Select Third?
« on: 04 February 2021, 06:27:04 pm »
Good Evening all,

Seems like every few weeks I have a problem post!

I noticed a small oil leak coming from inside the front sprocket cover and when I took it off it had all the hallmark signs of the gear selector cover gasket as described by an old post I found on the old tapatalk forum. Ordered a replacement gasket, removed the cover to which the old gasket split in multiple pieces. Found the oil leak I thought! Spent much time gently scraping and cleaning the contact surfaces ready for new gasket, installed new gasket and whipped it all back together. Aces I thought! Job done.... or so I thought.

Popped to local shops this afternoon for some groceries. No issues on the way there. On the way back however I am changing down from 60mph in 6th to 2nd gear to take a tight island and upon exiting the island the bike wont shift up into 3rd. Bugger. Tried to release and re-engage clutch and pre load the lever prior to shifting to no avail. Get the bike home and up onto the main stand, whip off the foot peg, sprocket cover and shift linkage. Nothing looks untoward. So I place the arm which goes on the selector shaft and try to shift the gearbox. 1st, up to 2nd. No 3rd.

So my question gents, seems like I've ballsed it up somehow but what I should I be looking for tomorrow when I get back in the garage? I'll have to order another gasket and get the cover off again but if there's nothing obviously out of place what should I be looking for?

As always, thanks for the help.

Walkerfromwolves

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to Select Third?
« Reply #1 on: 05 February 2021, 11:17:00 am »
Right gents. Problem solved.

A little embarrassing but I hope that if anyone has any similar issues in the future this may help:

The snag was the alignment of the rose joint, shift linkage and shift arm. It was only fractionally out but sufficient enough for the pedal to get stuck on the footpeg bolt so that the return spring couldnt overcome the friction.

kralik

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 February 2021, 01:20:07 pm »
good to know, thanks  :)

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2021, 08:44:45 pm »
Well done on finding the issue. Glad it wasn’t anything more serious and thanks for sharing. I’m sure that you won’t be the first, or the last, to experience the issue.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 February 2021, 12:35:50 am »
The snag was the alignment of the rose joint, shift linkage and shift arm. It was only fractionally out but sufficient enough for the pedal to get stuck on the footpeg bolt so that the return spring couldnt overcome the friction.
Cant visualise it, got a pic? also what bike FZS or FZ1..?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 February 2021, 10:22:15 am »
Cant visualise it, got a pic? also what bike FZS or FZ1..?

My guess is he either put the spline clamp back on too far forward/back on the spline shift shaft or the wrong way around.    Either way it would stop enough movement of the shift shaft, or bolted the stretch bar eye joint (rose joint) on the wrong side of the clamp knuckle again this would prevent full movement.

On an FZS it's not common issue quite hard to do if you just remove the spline shaft clamp knuckle.  FZ1 it's far easier due to the piggyback gearbox and the length of the gear lever stretch bar and eye joints.         
Later