Date: 28-03-24  Time: 13:02 pm

Author Topic: New MOT rules regarding HID and LED lights: Good news - You can now have them  (Read 9576 times)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Last Edit: 18 April 2021, 05:41:19 pm by b1k3rdude »
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
From 22 March 2021, we’re changing these rules so that not all motorcycles and vehicles will fail the MOT test if their halogen headlamp units have been converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs.
This is indeed good news :-)

Timbo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
MOT special notice 01-21: headlamp conversions - GOV.UK)

I will have to say I disagree ... there are far too many very intense and blinding LED lights on the road now that are actually a hazard to other road users. Its a bad move because it has not been investigated enough, nearly all the LEDs are too biased to the blue end of the spectrum and that is the issue.

Bw

[Edited to fix the URL: GrahamM - Moderator]
« Last Edit: 13 May 2021, 11:40:12 am by Grahamm »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
I will have to say I disagree ... there are far too many very intense and blinding LED lights on the road now that are actually a hazard to other road users. Its a bad move because it has not been investigated enough, nearly all the LEDs are too biased to the blue end of the spectrum and that is the issue.
If they are adjusted correctly, dazzeling is minimised. And afaik you have to have white LED so 4600-5000k. Anything higher than that is and has always been illegal.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website

Most muppets who fit them will fail the MOT as the aim is not set correctly or they are using cheap and nasty LED that cannot be aimed properly. Set correctly they are fine.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Most muppets who fit them will fail the MOT as the aim is not set correctly or they are using cheap and nasty LED that cannot be aimed properly. Set correctly they are fine.

:agree

The issue isn't just cheap bulbs but the wrong bulbs.  They're are 2 types, projector and reflector, most sold on fleebay etc are for the former, fine if you bike is fitted with projector head lights, they won't work on reflector head lights, such as FZS/600/1000.   The same applies to LED, most quality units can be adjusted, cheap knock offs either can't or the chip is positioned incorrectly and no amount of adjustment will work. 
Later

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Locked this thread as it keeps getting posts from bots - bkd.