Date: 30-04-24  Time: 23:05 pm

Author Topic: Gen 1 centre stand  (Read 1966 times)

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Gen 1 centre stand
« on: 07 February 2013, 11:42:01 am »
Is the centre stand a sod to remove & replace?

Some spring cleaning and general improving will be taking place soon, centre stand is a bit rusty, so want to remove and have it blasted and powder coated, same for side stand, but one at a time.

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2015 R1 and 2015 speed triple
    • View Profile
Re: Gen 1 centre stand
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2013, 01:06:06 pm »
Getting it off is fairly easy, getting the spring back on is not so!
You need to attach spring and kind of lever stand back in brackets and then line up to get bolts back in.
Even a good spring puller won't help the leverage needed to stretch it back, you risk pulling bike over.

It can be done by using stand as lever as I found and safer option :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2013, 01:13:50 pm »
Getting it off is fairly easy, getting the spring back on is not so!
You need to attach spring and kind of lever stand back in brackets and then line up to get bolts back in.
Even a good spring puller won't help the leverage needed to stretch it back, you risk pulling bike over.

It can be done by using stand as lever as I found and safer option :)

well explained JACKOJET thats how i do it as well.....will be cheaper to get the stands powder coated together....paddock stands ?
One, is never going to be enough.....

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2015 R1 and 2015 speed triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2013, 02:28:34 pm »
Paddock stand with cups to go under swing arm, tried it but was not happy as rear brake torque arm in way and didn't want to risk scratching the arm.
One option is to tap the solid ally near chain adjusters to accept 6mm bolts and bobbins and then use stand with hooks.
There is enough meat in the arm, but you need to make sure you drill square to arm, really a job with swing arm removed.
I find centrestand used only for maintenance minus spring is so useful, I just take it off for riding. You can work on suspension etc IE remove shock etc or swing arm, where as you can't using a paddock stand, so I have never bothered to drill,tap and fit bobbins :)

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2013, 03:01:23 pm »
Cheers, could do them together, but not a problem really, can't be messing about with tapping swingarm. I use centre stand at work and every time I clean the bike or do any work on it at all, so want to keep it, just tidy it up PO let the whole bike get a bit scabby.

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2013, 03:23:43 pm »
Is the centre stand a sod to remove & replace?

Some spring cleaning and general improving will be taking place soon, centre stand is a bit rusty, so want to remove and have it blasted and powder coated, same for side stand, but one at a time.

had to take mine off after the spring broke. easy to get of - as long as you have the right tools. the exhaust pipe on my 600 meant then none of my spanners/sockets fitted, had to borrow an open ended spanner.

as for putting back on, as already mentioned, fit the spring first and then lever on the stand.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

Topcat2006

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 February 2013, 08:16:49 pm »
Get a load of 2 pence pieces and push them in between the coils of the spring.  This extends the spring so it fits easily with no swearing then when on pull the 2 pence pieces out one by one.

Tom

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

triker

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 February 2013, 08:48:35 pm »
Yup lots of 1p 5p 2p etc. Two bits of string looped, i put one loop over vice on bench and the other so my foot went in it, then just apply pressure and put coins in, simmples :D

fazermike

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Indian scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 February 2013, 10:42:47 pm »
Get a load of 2 pence pieces and push them in between the coils of the spring.  This extends the spring so it fits easily with no swearing then when on pull the 2 pence pieces out one by one.

Tom

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Yes!I use this method all the time and never fails  :thumbup