Date: 01-05-24  Time: 12:52 pm

Author Topic: What tire to keep  (Read 2152 times)

Dunewar

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
What tire to keep
« on: 05 February 2013, 06:17:01 am »
The PO put two different brands of tyres on my 03 fazer 1000. The front has a pirelli diablo, the back a michelin pilot road II.
I don't like the idea of two different tyre brands at all, so one will have to go, but which one?

My riding is strictly pleasure, never longer than a day and about 3000 miles each year (i have small children that take up my time). I don't do track days, never two up and rarely have luggage with me. The exception would be when i take it for my monthly trip to our headquarters in germany instead of my car, a trip that includes the nurburgring in the morning...

I like a brisk pace and i do think tyres are crucial in that, so the pirelli's i would consider, but i'm confused as towhat tyre is now the equivalent of the diablo? There is no other name attached, no corsa, strada or anything. Am i right in assuming the diablo rosso is the successor to this?

Or would the pirelli be too much for a sunday rider like myself, and i should stick to the michelin? Mileage is clearly not an issue...

Some more info on me: i had a kawa zr7s before, loved the bike, hated the BT21s on that. Then i had a BMW R1100 gs, didn't like the bike, but the metzeler tourances gave me all the grip i needed. But of course that is a 80 bhp bike, the kawa was 75 bhp, the fazer is a different beast :-)

nippykarl

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - street triple RS.
    • View Profile
Re: What tire to keep
« Reply #1 on: 05 February 2013, 10:40:42 am »
I would not worry to much about the mismatch the front is a stickier tyre and its usually the rear we all lose, but if you have the funds then replace them both, the rosso is a good tyre and you would not go wrong with a set of them, but lots of set ups to choose from and every owner here will have some input on this subject. I always ran pirelli,s but each to there own.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 February 2013, 10:50:20 am »
Both are good tyres and if it feels good to you then carry on.

I like the pr2 but as the front lasts longer and you want to have a matching pair the replace the rear to match the front.

If it was mine and it felt ok I would use untill it needed replacement though. As rubber ain't cheap.

Strifae

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2013, 01:23:45 pm »
My 08 FZ1 has a Metzler Supermax on the front and a Pirreli Angel on the back - total mismatch but is absolutely fine to ride so I would just replace when needs it

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 February 2013, 11:56:49 pm »
I agree with using the tyres u got on there first. rubber = money and as they r consumables u shud consume. however ...if money not an object(lucky foccer) then i would reccommend pirelli diablo sport. i have these on my bike and in the dry they r bloody good and warm up quickly. not as good in the wet as road pilots which my company uses on our company bikes but i dont ride my (own) bike when its pissing down, if ur gonna ride all weathers then road pilot  THE best all rounder imo.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Dunewar

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
What tire to keep
« Reply #5 on: 06 February 2013, 07:25:44 am »
Ok so i'll keep them on. Thnx guys for the great advice. Since the rear tyre will probably go first i will replace it then with pirelli diablo sport or rosso or whatever it is called.

Four wheels good, two wheels better

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 February 2013, 07:55:43 am »
just pirelli diablo which is a sport tyre. :thumbup
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 February 2013, 08:27:00 am »
In the long term do you ride in the wet much? From what you said in op I would be led to think not.
But if you do then eventually I would lean more towards pr2/3 as its a better alround tyre. Don't worry to much about grip, I have used the pr2 and 3 on track days and never had a problem with grip wet or dry. Though in the wet it will give you enough feed back to tell you your being a tool :P

Dunewar

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
What tire to keep
« Reply #8 on: 06 February 2013, 01:26:26 pm »
In the long term do you ride in the wet much? From what you said in op I would be led to think not.
But if you do then eventually I would lean more towards pr2/3 as its a better alround tyre. Don't worry to much about grip, I have used the pr2 and 3 on track days and never had a problem with grip wet or dry. Though in the wet it will give you enough feed back to tell you your being a tool :P
Almost never in the wet

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 February 2013, 02:58:07 pm »
There is Diablo, Diablo Sport, Diablo Corsa etc, used to also be a Diablo Strada (harder then the normal Diablo) which they've replaced with the Angels.
I have a Diablo front and just fitted a new old-stock Diablo Strada rear, bike feels bloody awesome now, plus the Strada (same as a Metzeler Roadtec Z6 bar pattern) have extra deep tread from new, an extra 2mm I think it is, so they last ages , plus added ride height as a bonus.
I will find you a link to where I got mine from if you want it, as they are old stock they were cheap, like £75 delivered...  :D

Dunewar

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
What tire to keep
« Reply #10 on: 06 February 2013, 05:53:20 pm »
I'm not in the uk, so it wouldn't make sense but thanks anyway

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 February 2013, 11:35:53 am »
Furry muff, just go for a normal Diablo rear then and put a Sport on the front next time...