Date: 19-04-24  Time: 20:03 pm

Author Topic: Pilot mixture screw adjustment  (Read 1305 times)

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Pilot mixture screw adjustment
« on: 10 May 2021, 10:40:58 pm »

Has you ever heard of using exhaust pipe temperature as a guide when adjusting the pilot screw?

Just for interest I measured to temperature of the exhaust pipes shortly after starting from cold and ticking over for a couple of minutes and I was surprised to find number 3 pipe only got to about 70C when the others had got to about 100C. When I ran it at 2200 revs for a couple of minutes all four got to about the same temperature. I could detect a slight unevenness at tick-over but it never bothered me when riding the bike, which has now done 60,000 miles. After checking cylinder pressures and valve clearances etc. I decided to have a go at a little adjustment of the pilot screw on number three which did smooth out the tick-over. However after letting it all cool down and starting again the tick-over was still smooth but number three ex pipe was still not getting hot as quick as the others. Another 1/4 turn out and now all four pipes get hot at the same time and tick over still smooth. Hence my question about making final adjustments based on exhaust pipe temperature heating up from cold, because I've never heard of it being done that way, and you would normally make such adjustment with everything warmed up.   

« Last Edit: 11 May 2021, 03:21:56 pm by limax2 »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Pilot mixture screw adjustment
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2021, 07:57:06 am »
You would normally balance the carbs to get it right.

Throttle adjustment screws between the carbs to get them all reading the same and the pilot screw to get the number in the right range.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Pilot mixture screw adjustment
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2021, 08:26:56 am »
You would normally balance the carbs to get it right.
That was one of the things I checked and I did make a slight adjustment before fiddling with the pilot screw. I suppose I should check the balance again since tweaking the pilot screw.