Date: 18-04-24  Time: 02:55 am

Author Topic: Using mobile phone when driving  (Read 9134 times)

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Using mobile phone when driving
« Reply #50 on: 31 December 2016, 12:15:40 pm »
I think we all agree that the average motorist is in fact far below average in ability. So if you take a below par ability then further reduce that ability with the distraction of phones, satnags, radios, coffee cup holders, make-up mirrors, mp3 players, pie eating etc. etc. then the result can be a really bad driver with 0% attention to the road ahead.

Technology to deactivate mobiles while the ignition is turned on gets my vote.

PS. I recently watched a horrific video on Youtube where a guy wipes out two pedestrians and hits a tree in his car. He ends up hanging out of the rear passenger window BUT CARRIES ON WITH THE PHONE CALL HE WAS MAKING. Easy to see where his priorities lay.
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #51 on: 01 January 2017, 12:31:26 pm »
Technology to deactivate mobiles while the ignition is turned on gets my vote.

A suggestion that keeps turning up, but how do you do this without disabling passenger's phones too? And how do you stop it interfering with phones of passers by?

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 01 January 2017, 11:26:13 pm »
you can get done for being parked up and using your moby. They write the laws in black and white which doesn't help (see previous sentence)

I've got some background in Road safety and you wouldn't believe some peoples ideas ....then again.....

people adamant that 1mph over the limit is a heinous crime and when you explain its more dangerous to keep checking the speedo, they don't want to know.

I know of someone who smoked a joint and 12 hours later got pulled driving, awaiting test results that will criminalise the person for life and probably see them lose their job due to losing licence (apparently magistrates have no option but to ban and hardship cannot be factored in)

if we're writing rules stating certain things are illegal then you can't have Police using hand held radios whilst driving. no difference to using a moby...Its either dangerous or it isn't

Is that statement picked out in red true, I'm sure it would be if you are waiting at traffic lights or at a junction, but be parked up? maybe if illegally parked causing a hazard to other motorists, maybe with engine running, but being parked up.
I understand that if you have the ignition keys to a car or bike on your person whilst being drunk, you are still classed as being in charge of the vehicle, but even then distances must come into play, because some people have their front door key on the same key ring as the car keys.

If I am am in Manchester pissed up and my car is in Ketttering am I still in charge of that vehicle, my Mrs might have keys to it and have driven it shopping in Bond Street (The Bitch spending all my beer money)   :rolleyes

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 02 January 2017, 09:52:13 am »
ye its true as far as I can remember.....the charge is something like using a moby in a vehicle (where's all the site cops when we need them?) and again the law is written in black and white that throws up grey areas that we tend to lose!

as for keys, your right but distance does come into it......you in Manchester and the car in the Midlands but I'd personally gaol you just for being in Manchester :lol
fire never sleeps

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #54 on: 02 January 2017, 12:35:31 pm »
you can get done for being parked up and using your moby. They write the laws in black and white which doesn't help (see previous sentence)

Is that statement picked out in red true,

No:

When you can use a phone in your vehicle

If you’re the driver, you can only use your phone in a vehicle if you:

*    need to call 999 or 112 in an emergency and it’s unsafe or impractical to stop

*    are safely parked

https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 02 January 2017, 02:27:00 pm »
ye its true as far as I can remember.....the charge is something like using a moby in a vehicle (where's all the site cops when we need them?) and again the law is written in black and white that throws up grey areas that we tend to lose!

as for keys, your right but distance does come into it......you in Manchester and the car in the Midlands but I'd personally gaol you just for being in Manchester :lol

Quite right to. Actually as just used Manchester & Kettering as they are two places I have never been. And to be honest why would you?
Me personally I'm a southern bastard. Born in London live in Hampshire. 25 min bike run to the coast.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 03 January 2017, 05:56:40 pm »
As per usual, the technology isn't at fault and should not be blamed - attitudes like that would leave us in the dark ages

Unfortunately, it's the prevailing stupidity of the general populace that can fuel both sides. Technology is fantastic and can do amazing things, but at the same time should be respected and used appropriately.

I'll admit to not having read this entire thread, but I did see a few comments regarding why even bother having mobile phones since we managed without them before. But those comments are based solely on all the worst things and the negativity. Mobile phones provide a huge amount of access to emergency services should they be required, potentially saving valuable time in the event they are required.

Bringing it a little closer to home, bikers have benefited from mobile phones by being able to call for help when completely out in the sticks after having an accident. Even more so there is further developments that will allow a modern smart phone to potentially detect a crash and provide details such as your location to an emergency contact.

I'm not going to argue that technology doesn't have it's limitations or that it is faultless, but every day people are working to improve those limitations and repair those faults. It's never static, it's always going to continue moving and developing. Sure, you'll sometimes take some steps back, but ever continuing motion is forward.

Blaming technology for the downfall of society, or for idiots being idiots, is tantamount to blaming the gun for killing someone; it's not the tech, it's the person behind it.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 03 January 2017, 10:59:16 pm »
I think that if someone caught using a mobile while driving should be treated in the same way as drink drivers , minimum ban period or plod can take the cars from the offenders on the spot like no insurance or tax offenders.
Unfortunately the way I see it is that there are not enough plod to enforce road laws nowadays and that's why driving standards have gone to shit all over the country and a fine and a few points is an inconvenience not a deterrent.
I agree it's not the fault of the mobile it's the dickheads that can't survive without talking on it or face tubing or sexting and sending twats on twatter or instanob selfies.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 04 January 2017, 12:40:17 am »
As per usual, the technology isn't at fault and should not be blamed - attitudes like that would leave us in the dark ages

Unfortunately, it's the prevailing stupidity of the general populace that can fuel both sides. Technology is fantastic and can do amazing things, but at the same time should be respected and used appropriately.

I'll admit to not having read this entire thread, but I did see a few comments regarding why even bother having mobile phones since we managed without them before. But those comments are based solely on all the worst things and the negativity. Mobile phones provide a huge amount of access to emergency services should they be required, potentially saving valuable time in the event they are required.

Bringing it a little closer to home, bikers have benefited from mobile phones by being able to call for help when completely out in the sticks after having an accident. Even more so there is further developments that will allow a modern smart phone to potentially detect a crash and provide details such as your location to an emergency contact.

I'm not going to argue that technology doesn't have it's limitations or that it is faultless, but every day people are working to improve those limitations and repair those faults. It's never static, it's always going to continue moving and developing. Sure, you'll sometimes take some steps back, but ever continuing motion is forward.

Blaming technology for the downfall of society, or for idiots being idiots, is tantamount to blaming the gun for killing someone; it's not the tech, it's the person behind it.

Good write up Dead Eye  :thumbup

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 04 January 2017, 08:15:02 am »
Thanks, I appreciate the comment :)

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 04 January 2017, 10:10:19 am »
thanks for the clarification Gray, sorry folks.......was told that years ago as Gospel by someone in the know....should've checked my facts :rolleyes

BTW, driving standards are shite coz of the way ppl are being taught/tested these days.....its compounded by a lack of Police so ppl think they can drive/act like a tw*t and get away with it

there's a difference between driving like a tw*t coz you're a poor driver and acting the tw*t behind the wheel
fire never sleeps

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 04 January 2017, 12:00:07 pm »
That's a good point and definitely true - if marked police cars were spotted on patrol more often, people would be much less inclined to driver poorly or creep over speed limits. Increasing the penalty will do very little if people believe they can get away with it imo

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #62 on: 04 January 2017, 02:09:59 pm »
I have a 250 mile drive from Gatwick to Plymouth to do this weekend and I can probably count on one finger (or less) how many marked plod vehicles I will see from leaving home, travelling the M23, M25, M3, A303, A30 and A38 until I get into Plymouth.
The only reason I will see any is my sons flat is next door to Plymouth plod station and there will be a few cars parked in their yard I will see.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 04 January 2017, 04:01:57 pm »
True. It's like that stupid law about not hogging the middle lane. I drive about 100 miles daily on the M5 and rarely ever see a marked police car, a few unmarked ones but almost never marked ones. Not unless there's an accident, then suddenly they're like wasps round a jam pot.
Malc

Old enough to know better.