Date: 26-04-24  Time: 02:26 am

Author Topic: That old chestnut: insurance premiums - serious problem now.  (Read 3012 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
That old chestnut: insurance premiums - serious problem now.
« on: 12 September 2016, 05:15:48 pm »
So went to went about getting some quotes for my m/c ins -

# Again found the bloody premiums have gone up yet again - but not just a little but massively
# I can't get multi-bike any more, I have to have a per bike policy.
# Don't get a reason for why the underwriters wont insure me.
# I used to have fully comp for years, but the rising prices have knocked that on the head.

I have over 9yrs no claims (actually 15, but who's counting), I am over 40, I work in a safe industry, I live in a safe low risk area, both bikes are old 2005/6, the last accident was non-fault back in 2013-

So WTF?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: That old chestnut: insurance premiums - serious problem now.
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2016, 05:51:31 pm »
When I was getting quotes a few months ago, I found FC cheaper than TPFT. I'm over 40 with 15 year no-claims too but I still got a multi-bike policy. I say multi-bike, they limit it to two bikes I discovered when I wanted to add a third.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2016, 06:03:06 pm »
I've just had a quote from Bennetts, a very pleasant surprise.  :D
I'm 45, 10 years protected NCB and had a big claim last year (£20k). My quote for the 600 Fazer was £91, FC, well chuffed.  :thumbup
Sorry if I've p'd you off dude!

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2016, 07:54:21 pm »
I read on one of those money websites that car, bike and house insurance has gone up around 17 to 25% this year  :'( , not looking forward to my renewals in early 2017.

TOADY

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 September 2016, 08:00:53 pm »
I got my fazer purely because I couldn't insure my zx9r. As it happens I love the fazer,in fact I wish I'd found them years ago.
my momma always says, stupid is as stupid does.
that's all i gotta say about that

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2016, 09:03:05 pm »
Carole Nash quoted me £164 to renew this year for my FZ1. After phoning  and telling them I'd got a quote from Bennetts for £112, I got it down to £120 and this includes breakdown cover, legal cover and FC cover for riding "mates" bikes. So it's well worth haggling.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 September 2016, 09:08:01 pm »
Interesting I've found the opposite, my premium has dropped with my renewal. Last year was circa £160-180 I think and this year it was £135 - literally nothing has changed other than 1 more years NCB and license duration. Though having said that I have now hit 5 years on both, so maybe that's a cut off point? For reference, I'm 26 on a FZS 1000 that is garaged at a reasonable-ish postcode. I also insure with MCE as they seem to be the only company that's reasonable when it comes to declaring modifications

Note that insurance resellers (probably 90% of the companies you will ever deal with) do often have to go to market to obtain a new underwriter and if their portfolio is bad (lots of claims against very little earned premium) then they aren't likely to get a good deal with the underwriter... Yes, my work is related to the insurance industry :P

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2016, 05:10:10 am »
Insurance renewal is/can be a minefield nowadays.
I am a slow learner but have come to realise that it doesnt pay(indeed COSTS) to remain loyal(STUPID) to current/previous insurer as they dont give a toss about their customers(GIVE US THE MONEY :lol [size=78%]).[/size]
On insuring the FZS 600 last February went with Bennetts (£115 FC) plus £3 credit card charge but it included EVERYTHING I had previously had with Carole Cash PLUS HELMET & LEATHERS cover so was well pleased. I am older than Methuselah have had a bike licence since 1966 & 12 years NCD. Postcode one of the safer ones in Bham and bike kept in locked secure building.
On a separate note I yesterday reinsured the "cage" with AXA & paid LESS than last year with the Cashcow for equivalent cover so result! :lol
Still feel that the industry needs regulating since we have to have the product by law. Guess there are plenty of companies operating in the market but only a handful of underwriters.
CAVEAT EMPTOR(let the buyer beware) :eek

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 September 2016, 01:32:31 pm »
I'm afeared to ask now as I've had an ICD fitted to my heart, no driving or biking for a min 6 months, I wonder how much my premium will go up after the 6 month period is up without the ICD kicking in, maybe I'll have another heart attack when I see the cost http://foc-u.co.uk/Smileys/efocicon/tongue.gif

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2016, 03:47:05 pm »
Oldgit - My Mrs had an ICD fitted a couple of years ago and the driving "ban" was only a few weeks (maybe two months) to allow everything to heal and prevent you pulling the leads out.

DVLA place no restrictions on the licence with the ICD but did when they thought she had epiliepsy. Her lincence isn't restricted at all now.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 September 2016, 04:35:58 pm »
Hi BB, man that's great news, I only had one stent put in for a 2mm blockage the other two arteries were clear as a bell, but after the stent was fitted I kept kicking out and meeting Elvis 10 times over a three day period, I was getting kind of used to it (sad to say) So I do hope that I may get the same treatment as your wife as there is no history of heart problems in my family.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: 14 September 2016, 09:48:49 am »
Oldgit - Just ask your cardiologist. DVLA just need to be told but the cardiologist is the one who will know what the situation is for you. Don't bother asking your GP, they will guess and probably get it wrong.

I should probably add, since being fitted with hers, it has only ever activated during the 6 monthly check-up when they do a "test fire". Hers is because of "torsades de pointes" which occasionally speeds up here heartbeat to over 365bpm causing her to pass out and suffer epileptic fit like symptoms. This is why she was diagnose with epilepsy originally. The ICD is to get it back into rhythm.
« Last Edit: 14 September 2016, 09:52:11 am by BBROWN1664 »

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 September 2016, 10:29:43 am »
thanks BB will do.

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
  • loving the new ivanised beast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 September 2016, 11:03:28 am »
lads yer all lucky ye are on that side of the water,,,its a bloody cartel going on in Ireland has been for years,,and now that one or two companys have gone to the wall customers are being fleeced so they can recoup some of their losses they incurred during floods and what have you,,very few companys to choose from compared to the uk market...as for MCE i got a great quote off them "340"but done some research and heard horror stories about them not even sending out documents not answering there phones"which is expensive from Ireland" ,,mabey cause there bread and butter is the uk market they dont really care for the irish customers .
it was costing me 300 euro with carol nash just for the fazer alone ,,,but since im now insuring the 2011 apprilla tuono along with the fazer its costing me 510 euro ,even though on my renewal they asked for 710 euro and with a bit of playing on off the other i got it down to 510 ,,count yerselves lucky guys
please god let the sun keep shining

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: 14 September 2016, 11:17:18 am »
Downey - I'm not sure if it has changed in the last 15 years but last time I was in Dublin, the younger staff where I was doing some work were complaining about high car insurance costs. The costs were high but when you considered the fact that the Irish Government had changed the rules to allow unqualified drivers to drive around alone before passing their test because the wait for tests was more than a few months, the number of accidents went through the roof and justified the costs.

I remember we had a 6-9 month wait for tests in the south east of England when I was taking my test. We didn't get that dispensation but still got the high insurance costs.

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
  • loving the new ivanised beast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 September 2016, 11:38:01 am »
ahh those were the days  :lol  but afaik all different now and structured for "them" to get money out of you every step of the way
please god let the sun keep shining

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 September 2016, 04:54:57 pm »
Well I went with CarolNash in the end, as they made the effort to cold me back and got it down to £250 (Bandit and the Fazer) - which was only £20 more than last year.
« Last Edit: 14 September 2016, 04:57:21 pm by b1k3rdude »

stevie-g1968

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 September 2016, 02:00:05 pm »
I'm with hastings this year, I was with them last year too. my cover last yr was £109 fc.... the renew price was £140... went online and got quoted £78 as a new policy with hastings, so rang them and told them and they brought it down too that so I didn't have to mess about online.
FOCing down under.......dodging vacant Skippy's.

bikemad

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 September 2016, 06:55:40 pm »
It's good to float about on 2 or 3 comparison sites they can differ by £20-£30 I do sometimes go direct to check prices too & I don't go with new or unheard of insurance in case they didn't pay out should need arise it's easy to google feedback.
I was with Hastings when I smashed the BMW up they paid out in full,I've no recollection of what happened anyhow ! luckily had protected no claims I'm 42 with max nc.

So I'd let insurance run out then brought the 600 Fazer in Aug only just got it sorted was supprising to get a Hastings quote for £82 fc 😎 tpft was £75 it was a no brainer comp is the quote to get.
Stuff everything I've always got my bike :)