Date: 26-04-24  Time: 21:32 pm

Author Topic: Carburettor Breather?  (Read 2109 times)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Carburettor Breather?
« on: 12 July 2015, 01:47:26 pm »
So I've finally be working to try and get my 600 back to life. Got the new carbs in place (thanks noggy) and all the other bits and pieces attached so got some fuel and tried to prime the system of which the fuel pump seems to constantly go mad (obviously the system was entirely empty so initially this made sense)

Ended up trying to fire up the bike, but fuel started coming out of the below pipe (when the bike is cranking)

20150712 130907
20150712 130907

I though this was just a breather?

... I have just had a thought - could this be the float bowls overfilling?

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: Carburettor Breather?
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2015, 03:03:59 pm »
+1 for sticky float.......float bowl screws are made of cheese   :rolleyes
One, is never going to be enough.....

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2015, 03:07:21 pm »
Just noticed in your piccie, one of the sliders appears to be "stuck up"....does it move freely ?
One, is never going to be enough.....

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2015, 04:53:03 pm »
That's a photo of the old carb that is currently not attached to the engine - made for an easier photo :P

I may remove the carbs as I know the float bowls can be a pain otherwise. I'm guessing the pipe I highlighted is an overflow?

With the overfuelling, would this affect the jets as well and cause the mixture to be too rich, stopping the engine from firing correctly? It wouldn't start, but to be honest it was a pain in the ass when it WAS running nearly 2 years ago...

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 July 2015, 07:14:00 pm »
So I've remove the carbs from the bike (really didn't take that long actually... but I guess I've done it enough times before) but I'm uncertain on exactly how to set the float heights. The clear tube method seems to be a bit stupid and rather inaccurate but I guess I'll have to resort to that if there isn't a better method that the wise foccers know of?

I did a quick forum search without too much information coming up on alternatives and foc sticking them back on and trying to adjust in-situ

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 July 2015, 10:22:18 pm »

Unless someone's been in there bending the tang of the floats about there shouldn't be any adjustment to do. Normally the problem will be the valve itself leaking, either because of debris or damage to the rubber cone, or failure of the o-ring that seals the brass valve to the body of the carb. The other common failure is the float leaking, filling up with fuel and sinking.
I've not found a better way of determining the fuel level than the clear tube method, though I did have difficulty getting sensible readings.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 July 2015, 10:45:40 pm »
Hmm, makes sense, thanks for the info - I'll definitely be checking it out :)

I guess I'll have to conjure up some sort of rig to use the clear pipe to do the test whilst the carbs are off the bike

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 July 2015, 02:07:20 pm »
So I got a rig setup and checked all the float heights after stripping out the guts of each bowl and cleaning them (bit of carb cleaner and some air from my compressor - yes I forced the air in the reverse direction of flow). Each one was within spec so I guess the carbs are going back on and I'll try again.

I'm still a little confused as to how fuel came out of the pipe I highlighted in the original post - it connects above the butterfly and slider and I didn't think the fuel got that high (or was supposed to)