Date: 26-04-24  Time: 05:01 am

Author Topic: Glasses  (Read 8652 times)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Glasses
« on: 27 November 2014, 02:48:13 pm »
In a twist from the usual helmet recommendations I have an issue that is beginning to get on my nerves with my glasses...

I have to use them to ride and I can't use contacts because of my line of work. I finally replaced my helmet a few months back and have a pinlock insert which has been great at preventing the whole misting up issue that I had on my old one any time the temperature dropped to being even remotely cool - however, this has now highlighted that my glasses seem to be doing the same damn thing. So now my glasses are misting up any time I get on the bike, which is generally fine when travelling upwards of 30mph, but for anything slower, especially traffic, I end up trying to look through more-or-less frosted glass

I tried using some anti-mist stuff on the lenses but this didn't work despite working on my old visor... anyone know of any better products or solutions?

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
Re: Glasses
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2014, 03:22:58 pm »
Specs halfway down your nose and squint!
The Deef's apprentice

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2014, 03:32:25 pm »
Ok, any useful suggestions...

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2014, 03:59:17 pm »
Spit on them, seriously it should work

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2014, 04:34:39 pm »
In a twist from the usual helmet recommendations I have an issue that is beginning to get on my nerves with my glasses...

I have to use them to ride and I can't use contacts because of my line of work. I finally replaced my helmet a few months back and have a pinlock insert which has been great at preventing the whole misting up issue that I had on my old one any time the temperature dropped to being even remotely cool - however, this has now highlighted that my glasses seem to be doing the same damn thing. So now my glasses are misting up any time I get on the bike, which is generally fine when travelling upwards of 30mph, but for anything slower, especially traffic, I end up trying to look through more-or-less frosted glass

I tried using some anti-mist stuff on the lenses but this didn't work despite working on my old visor... anyone know of any better products or solutions?

Something you could try first on an old pair of glasses; -
 Divers sometimes have problems with misting. A new, straight from the shop scuba diving mask is often coated with an anti-scratch layer and some sort of optical improving layer and sometimes a thin film of silicon usually. And as most divers will tell you, all new masks mist up without fail until you rub off all these silly coatings on the glass using, wait for it, - toothpaste. Once this is done and you have a very clean contamination free glass surface spit is enough to cure the misting up.
  You need to rub the glass for some time so I would sit in front of the telly with a small bowl of water (to rinse) and some toothpaste and rub it on your lenses on both sides with your fingers for say 15 to 20 minutes, then wash thoroughly with soapy water. Spit is enough of an 'anti-mist' for divers but bikers need something a bit stronger so once the lens is clean use fairy liquid or Bob Heath spray or similar on the lenses (both sides). At the end of each day wash your glasses in soapy water, clean glass is the key.
 This might not work but I would say it's worth a try.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2014, 07:13:05 pm »

Something you could try first on an old pair of glasses; -
 Divers sometimes have problems with misting. A new, straight from the shop scuba diving mask is often coated with an anti-scratch layer and some sort of optical improving layer and sometimes a thin film of silicon usually. And as most divers will tell you, all new masks mist up without fail until you rub off all these silly coatings on the glass using, wait for it, - toothpaste. Once this is done and you have a very clean contamination free glass surface spit is enough to cure the misting up.
  You need to rub the glass for some time so I would sit in front of the telly with a small bowl of water (to rinse) and some toothpaste and rub it on your lenses on both sides with your fingers for say 15 to 20 minutes, then wash thoroughly with soapy water. Spit is enough of an 'anti-mist' for divers but bikers need something a bit stronger so once the lens is clean use fairy liquid or Bob Heath spray or similar on the lenses (both sides). At the end of each day wash your glasses in soapy water, clean glass is the key.
 This might not work but I would say it's worth a try.

Surely toothpaste is abrasive and will scratch the lenses of glasses???
If you have any coatings on your glasses it will more likely than not make a right mess out of them.
I'm not 100% on this, 'cos  i haven't tried it, but that's my personal opinion.
A scuba diving mask is gonna be far more heavy duty than spectacles, and as you're under water very light scratches wouldn't be anywhere near as noticeable or annoying as if you were reading for instance.  :book

Be interested to know, and see, the outcome if anyone's prepared to try it though?
At the very least you'll have minty fresh eyeballs.  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 November 2014, 07:21:42 pm »
I used to arse about with spit, d
fairy liquid and Bob heath when I raced motox. They do work but not ideal, they tend to work well for half an hour or so. I found some rainx "anti fog" at asda the other week, £4 for a bottle.  Not the yellow bottle this is black.  Works a charm, one application lasts me a few days (around 5 -  6 hours)  and it's totally fog free.
Intentionally left blank

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2014, 07:30:22 pm »
fairy liquid and Bob heath when I raced motox. They do work but not ideal, they tend to work well for half an hour or so. I found some rainx "anti fog" at asda the other week, £4 for a bottle.  Not the yellow bottle this is black.  Works a charm, one application lasts me a few days (around 5 -  6 hours)  and it's totally fog free.

That's interesting, i think they sell that gear at my work, might have to sign a bottle out to my department.  :b

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 November 2014, 07:41:27 pm »
Surely toothpaste is abrasive and will scratch the lenses of glasses???
If you have any coatings on your glasses it will more likely than not make a right mess out of them.
I'm not 100% on this, 'cos  i haven't tried it, but that's my personal opinion.
A scuba diving mask is gonna be far more heavy duty than spectacles, and as you're under water very light scratches wouldn't be anywhere near as noticeable or annoying as if you were reading for instance.  :book

Be interested to know, and see, the outcome if anyone's prepared to try it though?
At the very least you'll have minty fresh eyeballs.  :lol

Read my post again. I suggested trying this on an old pair of glasses first.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 November 2014, 07:42:39 pm »

We are talking about glasses, not visors?

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 November 2014, 07:44:18 pm »
don't breathe until you're doing over 30? or try to stop your breath going upwards to your glasses but how I don't know.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 November 2014, 07:44:20 pm »
Yeah.  I wear contact lenses but used the rainx on my glasses. No probs with it there.  You will probably need to apply it each ride if your wearing them all day I would imagine but I doubt anything would last much longer
Intentionally left blank

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 November 2014, 07:56:26 pm »
Yeah.  I wear contact lenses but used the rainx on my glasses. No probs with it there.  You will probably need to apply it each ride if your wearing them all day I would imagine but I doubt anything would last much longer

For the record, i ruined 2 visors many years ago using normal Rain X, it's designed for glass not plastic. I think it gave them the same sort of look as diesel on a wet road, very colourful but oily.

I've started wearing glasses again for riding at night time and was reversing the bike into my garage this evening and got totally fogged up.
I haven't worn glasses for 10 years and had forgotten what a nuisance it is.
I double sided taped my visor insert again last night though, as it had a leak due to the shitty weather, and that's working a treat again.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 November 2014, 08:17:20 pm »
My current Caberg is so draughty that my specs don't fog up unless I'm stationary, but the previous helmet caused fogging. I ended up making a breath deflector out of that thin foamed polythene sheet that's used for packaging... took several attempts as 3d geometry isn't as simple as I'd thought, but it did work in the end.

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 November 2014, 08:28:13 pm »
I always use toothpaste to clean my glasses every 2 weeks. Mine are coated and vari-focal. I have used this method for years now with no ill effect as long as you don't go mad.Wash off with soapy water and polish with a soft clean cotton hankie.
 Reason I do this is because I get fine scratches from wiping and not using water every time I wipe them and sticky dust settles on them.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 November 2014, 08:39:58 pm »
Yeah I suppose if your visor has coatings on it the two could react or not be compatible. My nitro lid just has uncoated ones and I have had no problems
Intentionally left blank

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 November 2014, 08:40:10 pm »

Could be the answer.......

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 November 2014, 08:42:37 pm »
I always use toothpaste to clean my glasses every 2 weeks. Mine are coated and vari-focal. I have used this method for years now with no ill effect as long as you don't go mad.Wash off with soapy water and polish with a soft clean cotton hankie.
 Reason I do this is because I get fine scratches from wiping and not using water every time I wipe them and sticky dust settles on them.

Is it sticky dust, or just dust sticking to toothpasty glasses?  :lol

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 November 2014, 09:00:26 pm »
Carpro fog fight works well. Not the cheapest stuff on earth though.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #19 on: 27 November 2014, 09:12:41 pm »
I can't use contacts because of my line of work.

What line of work is that?

If it's completely impossible, why not use Daily Disposables to ride to and from work, then switch to glasses when you get there?

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 November 2014, 04:20:15 am »
I wear glasses too and had the same issues years ago.

The only true solution is diverting your breath downwards, and I found a Foggy Face Mask the best thing yet.

They're about a tenner or so and Velcro in to the chin of your helmet.

Works great :)

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 November 2014, 07:10:40 am »
I've used this stuff works alright

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 November 2014, 11:30:23 am »
I used to use that, it is good but on very cold days you end up with actual water drops forming rather than just condensation.

As above, the foggy mask is a winner.

Prevention is better than cure, and all that jizz.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #23 on: 28 November 2014, 01:09:58 pm »
fog mask or a snood pulled up high over nose so when you pul helmet down it stays over nose?
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 November 2014, 04:50:02 pm »
This brings forth the real question: Why are there not pinlock glasses?