Date: 27-04-24  Time: 04:57 am

Author Topic: Scrapyard...  (Read 903 times)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Scrapyard...
« on: 15 May 2014, 04:35:39 pm »
Well, I was going to go to the DVLA local office to ask this question but apparently its been closed... so that was helpful, thank you very much

In any case, my previous 600 had a falling out with some fire. The frame is toast ( :lol ) and I don't believe its in a good enough condition to sell plus no bugger wants to have it for free. So I figured I'd scrap it so that I don't have to re-SORN it every year for the rest of my life. The catch is that I want to rescue the engine (this process is already under way) and I don't know if scrapping the bike will affect my ability to use the engine later on in a legal capacity.

Is it something completely stupid and I'm just worrying about nothing? Or do I have to go about some sort of process?

A quick Google search didn't yield any particularly helpful articles

hightower

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Scrapyard...
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2014, 04:44:33 pm »
You only need to sorn once now and it runs on each year. Not the answer you wanted, but perhaps keep the frame until you get what you need transferred

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Scrapyard...
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2014, 05:31:21 pm »
My understanding is that the engine number only appears on the V5 as a backup for vehicle identification, the frame number is the critical thing. So just register it as scrapped, then the engine can be used/sold on. Otherwise you'd have the silly situation where breakers would be first re-registering vehicles as having no engine before they could then send the V5 back again to say the vehicle was scrapped.