Date: 27-04-24  Time: 02:25 am

Author Topic: Tyre Deformation  (Read 3422 times)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Tyre Deformation
« on: 07 March 2014, 03:40:58 pm »
For a few weeks now, maybe a month or more in fact, the front end of my bike has felt... off - particularly noticeable when cornering and when the tyres are cold. Once they are warmed up the problem seems to dissipate

I'd checked around the front of the bike a bit without much success in identifying the problem, but after a short ride today I took a closer look and found that a section of the front tyre feels raised / deformed. Its most noticeable when running your fingers across the tyre and can just about be seen by the eye when up close.

I took a photo to try and illustrate the issue and have highlighted the area where you can just about see the raised section of the tyre. This raised section appears to loop the entire tyre is almost midway between the centre and offside of the tyre (slightly closer to the centre)

BT023
BT023

This is a BT023 that has about 4-5k miles on it and the problem has only surfaced within the last 1000 miles at most. I'm assuming that I'm going to need to replace the tyre, but wanted opinions and thoughts on whether this is just a one-off issue down the the tyre or whether there are other forces at work here. Also worth noting is that the bike doesn't do any commuting and the majority of my mileage is on A and B roads so the tyre isn't squared off (that I can tell)

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre Deformation
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2014, 03:55:19 pm »
It looks like the tyre is starting to square off a bit. This tyre problem occurs at the point where the hard compound (centre) meets the soft compound on the sides and the wear becomes uneven. Sometimes tyre pressures can cause this to happen or style of riding. I had this problem on a fzs 600 i bought and it made the handling poor. It's probably too low pressures, as when braking the hard compound stays firm, but the soft compound is being forced back. I would buy a new tyre :\
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2014, 04:00:42 pm »
That's interesting as I had felt my pressures were either ok or a little high. I've kept the front between 34 and 36 PSI. I've dropped it to 34 recently as I was a fat foccer before and I've lost a bit of weight now...

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2014, 04:15:24 pm »
The tyres that had the same issue on my fzs600 were avon ulta storms, which i hated. It may have been because of the uneven wear tho..
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

eddie

• FOC-U Lost Boy.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2014, 05:13:29 pm »
Pressure. 37psi. Get your self Michelin pilot road CT2's

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2014, 05:13:41 pm »
BT021's were terrible for this, and went 'off' very quickly ruining the handling. Not heard of it on 023's though. If its effecting your ride, maybe it'd be worth changing the tyre, especially as the weathers getting better!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2014, 05:21:21 pm »
I've had 2 BT023's on my 600's without any issue which is why its a bit surprising now - but this is the 1000 now I guess and slightly different tyre size

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2014, 05:53:36 pm »
I had this on my last front tyre which was a BT021 , but it was also well worn , the new BT023 I have has a slow puncture loses 10psi over a week , I top the front up to 36psi , I will have to look out for this myself .

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2014, 05:59:57 pm »
I would understand it more if the tyre was older or worn more, but its about 6 months old and as mentioned before only has 4-5k on it... that's low for a rear, let alone a front...

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2014, 06:09:16 pm »
I have done about 3k on my front , not noticed any handling issues yet but I will look out for this .

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 March 2014, 07:35:35 pm »
i had that with the same tyres on my VFR, didnt notice any handling problems though, it was a heavier bike , just gassed it through the revs :)
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 March 2014, 07:46:20 pm »
I guess as the tyre heats up the compound becomes more pliable which is what leads to the improved handling

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 March 2014, 07:57:17 pm »
I would understand it more if the tyre was older or worn more, but its about 6 months old and as mentioned before only has 4-5k on it... that's low for a rear, let alone a front...

Ohhhhh reeeeally?  :lol

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 March 2014, 08:03:52 pm »
Well it is in my opinion based on my experience with them so far

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 March 2014, 10:32:43 pm »
I had something sililar on a firestorm I used to own, in a straight line I had no issues, on the open road I had no issues, but going right the bike was terrible, going left at town speeds I had no issues, the tyre which was also a bridgestone had also squared off badly at an angle but it wasn't obvious and the tyre had plenty of tread.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 March 2014, 10:51:20 pm »
Sounds exactly like my issue... new tyre time I guess :( Not an expense I was planning on this soon

I expect I'll be going for a T30 for now - I may not like spending money, but I prefer to buy quality parts where ever I can

chaparral02

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - DiamondBack Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 March 2014, 09:51:21 pm »
Only 4k to 5k !!!  :look

My FZ1 front tyre was below it wear limit marks at below 5k...
« Last Edit: 08 March 2014, 09:53:41 pm by chaparral02 »
08 Graphite Grey FZ1 ABS..
Yoshi CF R-77 Full system, FCE, Ivans Flies, PC-V + Autotune Kit, DNA Aifilter & Airbox Mod, Speedo healer ,16T front gen1 sprocket,
Sargent front & rear seats, Fender eliminator, CA Intergated Rear Led, MRA Vario Screen , Givi mono rack & V46 topbox

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 March 2014, 10:54:30 pm »
Shit! I'm lucky to get 3k out of my rear::)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 March 2014, 11:00:21 pm »
T30 ordered and to be delivered on Tuesday, then its just a case of whipping the wheel off and popping to the local garage to have them swap the tyre...

I'm wondering if its worth keeping the BT023 in case of "emergency" as although its not perfect, its still perfectly road legal

chaparral02

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - DiamondBack Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 March 2014, 12:55:25 pm »
I'm wondering if its worth keeping the BT023 in case of "emergency" as although its not perfect, its still perfectly road legal
There no way I would keep a deformed (out of shape) front tyre...It be straight in the bin..
Having a deformed tyre as a spare for a car would be bad enough but as a spare for the front of a 1000cc motorcycle  :eek

It really not worth risking your life by keeping a knacked tyre as a emergency spare..
« Last Edit: 09 March 2014, 12:58:17 pm by chaparral02 »
08 Graphite Grey FZ1 ABS..
Yoshi CF R-77 Full system, FCE, Ivans Flies, PC-V + Autotune Kit, DNA Aifilter & Airbox Mod, Speedo healer ,16T front gen1 sprocket,
Sargent front & rear seats, Fender eliminator, CA Intergated Rear Led, MRA Vario Screen , Givi mono rack & V46 topbox

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 March 2014, 06:42:48 pm »
Na, bin it! Not worth keeping.

AllyBally

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 March 2014, 07:43:26 pm »
I had a similar problem with tyres on my Divvy after each winter, more noticeable on the rear where it was squaring off, and the front would have more tread on the r/h side and could feel difference by hand and see it.
   All I did was get the bike leaned over more on corners on the drier/ warm days commuting, soon got the tyres back into shape.
   But I wouldn't lee it for a spare as you've got new one on way
The voices told me to do it !!

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 March 2014, 10:39:49 pm »
Typical after buying the new tyre that the old one would suddenly start behaving...

Got out today for a play in Middle Earth on the ride out and had no issues at all with any handling for the entire day. All 280~ miles felt perfectly stable... I checked the tyre over and the raised profile doesn't see as pronounced as it was... maybe it really was just uneven wear on the tyre - I had been consciously leaning the bit a little after nick crips mentioned this to me when we met early in the day. I guess the roads in the west country are a little lop sided :P

I'll take it for a spin next week before I make a decision on swapping the front tyre - no harm in leaving the T30 off for now if the current tyre behaves itself :)