Date: 30-04-24  Time: 21:59 pm

Author Topic: Pitfalls of cheap chains  (Read 2306 times)

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
Pitfalls of cheap chains
« on: 01 November 2012, 04:57:40 pm »
I should have learnt this lesson the first time I changed a chain , first one lasted around 4000 miles before needing adjustment after nearly every ride. cost around £55 . The last (Just changed) was described as genuine factory replacement + sprockets ,Pain in the arse to fit as it was endless ! Seemed quite a good heavy chain ,but after only around 3000 miles it started needing adjustment, then recently i noticed a sort of rubbing sound as i was riding along.
Close inspection revealed red rusty side links. This I thought odd as I had always lubed the chains on both my bikes after nearly every ride. In the interim I lagged the chain with WD40 . (obviously not my usual lubricant) and re tried the bike , noise had gone, Back to base and re-lubed the chain with oil. next ride i came back with the chain almost hitting the rear forks. So this time ordered a known quality DID chain. during the process of taking of the old chain (using my usual angle grinder method) I levered on the ground link plate , Only to find that the rivet let go at the other side of the chain. This proves quite conclusively that the chain rivets were as soft as the proverbial shit !
On removing the chain completely , there was a mixture of seized and hanging links. totaly crap chain !
Odd why a chain should seize like this despite being regularly lubed.
My Thou is I think still on its original chain at around 29000 miles .never needs adjustment.
I have tried all sorts of chain lube over the years and think engine oil is as good as anything .

oldmotherfoccer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • WWW.FATMAGGOT.COM
Re: Pitfalls of cheap chains
« Reply #1 on: 01 November 2012, 05:06:03 pm »
no mention of sprockets ?? you did replace the sprockets at the same time didnt you ??? otherwise no wonder you have had no service from the new chain, when its been used on worn sprockets
Fat Maggot Clothing Company - remember FOCU15 to claim your foccers discount

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 November 2012, 06:32:42 pm »
DID ZVM is what the Gen1 Fazer thou came with as standard.

I replaced mine at 17,000 miles as the front sprocket was shagged.  The chain however showed no real signs of wear and there was no measurable stretch compared to the new chain, which again was ZVM.

I reckon it's best to fit high spec chain, you never want one to let go on you, and the good ones do last.

WD40 is probably OK, but I wouldn't use it as I think it contains solvent, it's either that or the propellant in WD40 could potentially harden o-rings.  Stick to gear oil, proper chain lub or best of all fit an oiler. 

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2012, 07:33:08 pm »
I replaced mine on the 600 at about 7000 miles (when I bought it the chain had been neglected and was shagged).
I got a DID Heavy duty gold kit including sprocket. Thing is its clearly defective. I have now done 38 thousand miles and have adjusted it twice. Thats never normal. I use a scotoiler filled with chainsaw lube (1/4 price of scottoil but its not a pretty blue colour). I am a tight git but reckon chains are one area where being cheap is false economy

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2012, 09:13:33 pm »
No mention of sprockets !
WD used as interim to free seized chain!
Is it me not explaining this situation or people not bothering to read it ?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: 02 November 2012, 09:38:28 am »
WD40 would clean the oil off the chain and knackers the O-rings.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 November 2012, 11:19:55 am »
I use WD to clean the chain of all the crap and found a cheap 3.50 can of chain spray grease. Done 22,000 now on what I think is the original chain and sprockets as I got the bike at 18000 will replace with rental sprockets and did x gold chain next year before summer hols come

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 November 2012, 11:33:46 am »
Which chain + sprockets do people recommend?  I'm going to need one soon as I think my chain is close to needing replacement.  Front sprocket has some hooking also.  It's got a DID chain on it at the moment and has 35k on the clock, although I don't know how long that chain has been on... at least for the 11k I've owned it for.

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 November 2012, 12:03:21 pm »
BBrown, You summise that WD would knacker 0 rings etc
This is not a fact ! I have used WD in various applications for many years , I have never seen any negative affect of using it.
It is a cheap and very underated product.
You may have/or not noticed that I was using WD to free a seized chain (not as routine lubricant)
The object of this post was to point out the specific pitfalls of cheaper chains. Rather than using the term false economy!
I did not intend this to be a "very subjective " discussion of various lubricants.
My other Fazer's chain has done nearly 30000 I have owned it for half of these miles using mainly engine oil as a lubricant
« Last Edit: 03 November 2012, 10:29:26 am by bwizz »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 November 2012, 12:09:52 pm »
WD40 contains solvent, therefore it's less than ideal as a o-ring chain lubricant. 

Which chain + sprockets do people recommend?

I fitted DID ZVM + Renthal sprockets front and rear.  The OE front sprocket has a damper that after-market sprockets do not, you may wish to consider fitting an OE front sprocket.  Talon sprockets are good too.

There are various grades of chain, personally on a high performance bike I'd go for the highest spec every time.

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 November 2012, 01:06:21 pm »
You may have/or not noticed that I was using WD to free a seized chain (not as routine lubricant)