Date: 21-05-24  Time: 11:11 am

Author Topic: Check your tyres every trip!  (Read 2246 times)

SteveH41

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Check your tyres every trip!
« on: 10 August 2012, 05:12:43 pm »
Well, took a ride out to Matlock Bath yesterday, did the usual checks on oil / water / brake fluid / lights etc etc and inflated the tyres to recommended pressure (36/42 psi for me)

Was about to go out today and thought even though it's only been 24 hours that I should check them again, rear showed 5psi!!!!! I thought my gauge was busted until I pressed the tyre................... F**K!!!!, nail right in the middle of the tread, what an absolute b*****d....

Decided then to check my front pressures just in case, had hung my helmet on the throttle side of the bike "just for a minute" while doing the pressures, moved the bars ever so slightly and bang, down it went....... right on the crown, scratched all the paint and visor. Not happy.

Costs - New tyres (going for a matching pair as don't fancy mixed rubber - BT023 - £250 fitted.

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: Check your tyres every trip!
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2012, 06:40:39 pm »
Must admit, I'm quite pedantic about the state of my tyres too, and any debris surrounding the bike (mine is parked on the road and covered) and have found odd nails lying about (thankfully before they've gone in the bloody tyre).

As for helmet on bars, I tend to put it over the mirrors instead (fairing mounted mirrors).

SteveH41

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Re: Check your tyres every trip!
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2012, 07:29:26 am »
Decided not to take a chance with the lid even though it was only a 3ft fall, got myself a Shoei XR1100 now and will send the Shark S700s back for inspection and a new visor.

Expensive game this biking lark :)

DanielT

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Check your tyres every trip!
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2012, 07:47:55 am »
Decided not to take a chance with the lid even though it was only a 3ft fall, got myself a Shoei XR1100 now and will send the Shark S700s back for inspection and a new visor.

Expensive game this biking lark :)

I've bought a Tyre pressure monitor. Constantly checks
the pressure/temp.

Tiremoni TM-4100 from Germany. It's €99. The rebranded one in the UK is called tyrepal and is £150. Rip off Britain!
« Last Edit: 11 August 2012, 07:56:01 am by DanielT »