Date: 06-05-24  Time: 01:13 am

Author Topic: Living on a boat  (Read 9963 times)

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Living on a boat
« on: 02 April 2014, 07:29:26 am »
So, I've decided that this year I'm going to move on to a boat, I have several friends, including families that do this quite comfortably.
Anybody had any experiences, what are your thoughts?
It is in part financial why I'm doing this, it can be more expensive than people think to live on a boat, but it's a dam sight cheaper than continuing to rent something I'll never own in this area!
Some say...

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
Re: Living on a boat
« Reply #1 on: 02 April 2014, 07:37:22 am »
I assume a river boat / canal boat? Buying / renting? What are the mooring fees like?

I lived on a 12m ocean going race cruiser (the sports tourer of boats) for 6 years. But I'm guessing this will be somewhat different!!
The Deef's apprentice

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 April 2014, 07:48:47 am »
Canal boat, preferably a widebeam, and I'll be buying.
All fees like the waterways license are based on size, but that can be up to a grand for the year.
I'll be moving every two weeks in line with the regulations so no mooring fees!
Some say...

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2014, 08:07:45 am »
Punk as a canal boat builder i can speak with reasonable authority.

Initial purchase, plus survey costs for piece of mind and costs to fix anything the survey brings up. Craning and dry dock costs maybe. Canal boats have a system like an MOT to ensure safety, so the boat has to reach a minimum standard should be meet by  the seller.
OK, wide beam obviously has more space, fine if you stay on the river but once you get onto the canal system you can be limited by lock sizes.
Yes you have to pay a license to CRT, usually done on length, might be more to cruise on the Themes.
No mooring, thats fine for the moment, there are rumours that you may have to get a permanent mooring soon, don't know. BUT that will be thousands if introduced.
Other costs, fuel - diesel is cheaper for domestic use more expensive for moving the boat, you have to declare at point of purchase.
Coal -  for heating it does cost, or wood if you can get it cheaper.
Pump outs - depends on the boats system but expect to pay to get rid of it.
Fines - if you don't move every 2 weeks you can get fined.
Access bear it in mind you might have to leave the bike a mile up the towpath, depending on where you moor.

Thats it for now.

Nick

Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 April 2014, 09:02:55 am »
Such a cool idea:) I've often had thoughts of buying one. :)
but for my plan to work I'd have to be able to easiy get a reasonable size motorbike on board
« Last Edit: 02 April 2014, 09:04:38 am by midden »
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 April 2014, 10:32:30 am »
Don't know why anyone is worried about getting the bike on board - Christo has already half solved the problem for you. Tow ball on back of boat for your bike boat  :D
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

pete786.u

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 April 2014, 10:43:41 am »
Was seriously considering living on a Narrow boat when  retired but that idea got scuppered when I found I had a chronic heart condition and have to have blood tests every month or so. Quite liked the thought of moving around the country on the canals!

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 April 2014, 11:00:39 am »
I couldn't trust myself, i just know i'd get up for a piss during the night and end up in the canal.  :look
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 April 2014, 11:08:52 am »
It is bloody crowded around London so a pain in the arse.  Moorings are really expensive (like rent expensive).

From what I've seen outside of London the residents are a mixed bag, some are quite well to do and tidy, some are pikey, some are eccentric.  Most hate the day boat crews for motoring past and creating a wake.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 April 2014, 12:45:17 pm »
but for my plan to work I'd have to be able to easiy get a reasonable size motorbike on board

Sorted.  ;)

Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 April 2014, 01:15:07 pm »
Walking to the bike isn't an issue tbh, it's another of those small prices to pay in order to own a home.
To put prices in perspective I have mates rates rent of £650 pm for a 2 bed flat, plus my bills (council tax £100 pm on its own!)
the neighbours is advertised at £800 pm and £200,000 to buy, these are 1970's flats!
I can't even stay locally and get a one bed flat for the same as what I'm currently paying so down sizing won't work.
I have my daughter every other weekend hence the 2nd bedroom at the moment.
There will be obstacles to overcome but for the end result I don't see why I shouldn't do it at this stage in my life!
Some say...

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 April 2014, 01:21:15 pm »

Sorted.  ;)

Now that is a proper boat!!!
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 April 2014, 01:28:34 pm »
I think you should jump at the chance. I've seen some really nice examples with fully fitted bathroom including round bath, proper kingsize bed.
My only negative to living in one full time has been (even with all the above)  the actually lack of space inside which you won't have being half my size ;) but even that I've swung the positive with the size of garden and pond I get to share.

As for the bike situation, my ideal plan is to live in the house while on shifts then on the 4 plus restdays go to the boat and travel the water until I had to leave it where I ended up and ride back to kent for work. Skipper has highlighted the difficulty of that so not really viable.

A dream I know  but a nice one ;)

Not about me though, it's about you and real life living and I personally think it's a win win, money saver, freedom giver and your daughter I'm sure would love the holidays afloat :)
« Last Edit: 02 April 2014, 01:39:32 pm by midden »
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 April 2014, 01:44:35 pm »
Sounds like a brilliant plan....i reckon i could live on a boat...most ex millitary or seafarers are prob quite well suited to it....you keep things squared away & you tidy as you go....all the clutter goes & because of that you get to enjoy more of the few things that you can keep...you appreciate them more.

My missus couldn't though....it doesn't matter how much space there is......she is like the osmosis of the house junk world......it just keeps building up & flowing from one space to the next until i get focced off & start chucking it.

I dont blame you with those prices.....i cant see how any 'normal' london folk can get by...i feel sorry for yous....cities are a bit much for me anyway but i've never quite understood how people still stay there but like you say are stuck in flats costing mega money...not for me thanks.

To put things into perspective down where i am in Wales...lovely countryside, low crime, still have internet, excellent biking roads.....i got a brand new house in a 23 house development in a village on outskirts of town......for £135,000....i'm £600 a month mortgage with good equity.

In 2006 i bought my first house back home in Scotland...ok council estate etc...but was only £82,000.

So i say do it, get that boat & enjoy life...plus the peace & quiet you'll have.

1 question though.....how the foc dya get your post on a boat???
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 April 2014, 01:58:46 pm »
Sounds idyllic Stiggy, hope you can do it and make it work.

A mate of a mate did it in Hertfordshire/Essex area - my mate spoke to me about it - one thing to consider is that every 2 years he had to dry-dock it for maintenance, painting etc; apparently these facilities are quite expensive. This guy used to share crane hire costs etc with other boat owners. But yes, he also used to move across the jurisdiction lines often enough to avoid high mooring fees.

Personally, I don't think I could do it - being 6' 2'' I think I'd have a sore, bruised head a lot!  :lol
But at your age, that's the time to do these things I reckon  :)

Parking the bike - if you're moving around, how will you find somewhere safe for it each time you move?

Receiving post? PO box?

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 April 2014, 02:02:52 pm »
Sounds like a brilliant plan....i reckon i could live on a boat...most ex millitary or seafarers are prob quite well suited to it....you keep things squared away & you tidy as you go....all the clutter goes & because of that you get to enjoy more of the few things that you can keep...you appreciate them more.

My missus couldn't though....it doesn't matter how much space there is......she is like the osmosis of the house junk world......it just keeps building up & flowing from one space to the next until i get focced off & start chucking it.

I dont blame you with those prices.....i cant see how any 'normal' london folk can get by...i feel sorry for yous....cities are a bit much for me anyway but i've never quite understood how people still stay there but like you say are stuck in flats costing mega money...not for me thanks.

To put things into perspective down where i am in Wales...lovely countryside, low crime, still have internet, excellent biking roads.....i got a brand new house in a 23 house development in a village on outskirts of town......for £135,000....i'm £600 a month mortgage with good equity.

In 2006 i bought my first house back home in Scotland...ok council estate etc...but was only £82,000.

So i say do it, get that boat & enjoy life...plus the peace & quiet you'll have.

.....ROYAL SAIL nogg? :D

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 April 2014, 02:47:27 pm »
Noggy- I'm not even in London, but in a beautiful commuter town 30 miles north which bumps up the prices!
I sound like your misses, I amass ridiculous stuff and it's all going over the next few months, keep an eye on the fir sale section, I'm talking snowboards, guitar, vintage wharfedale speakers, even an old wooden wurlitzer juke box shell which I've only kept because the speakers are just phenomenal, makes quite the unique ipod dock!

Nick, for post people use either a po box address or my mates use the local pub which I'll probably do too!
Some say...

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 April 2014, 03:11:25 pm »
Quote from: noggythenog link=topic=12399.msg138673#msg138673 date=

[/quote
.....ROYAL SAIL nogg? :D

:lol ....i've heard it all now.

Perhaps you could branch out stig & get a jet ski for waterborne courier services. :think
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 April 2014, 03:43:06 pm »
I've still not convinced the boss to get me a Quadski seen on top gear!
Some say...

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 April 2014, 04:03:45 pm »
I lived for 2 years in a fibreglass 'American houseboat'.

It seemed like a romantic idea at the time, permanently moored in a little harbour.

It was a sauna in the summer, freezing in the winter, the boat rocked quite violently every time another vessel passed the harbour, I often ran out of water mid shower, limited space and stuff got damp.

I had moved in with the option of purchasing it but the novelty soon wore off.

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 April 2014, 04:24:35 pm »
ive had a few boats only small river cruisers upto 30ft but we love it.and will be buying a liveaboard in a few years time.its not as cheap to live on the river as you think and getting a good  residential mooring is the hard part especially the thames.there is a legal way around the river licence by continuous cruising ;) which a alot of people do.you cant beat that sort of life go for it.
just make sure you get a full survey because re plating a narrowboat is not cheap.

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 April 2014, 06:50:19 pm »
I lived on the independence of the seas for a couple of weeks, was very nice plenty of space, :rollin
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 April 2014, 07:02:00 pm »
Haha, I've been on that ship as well! :P

This year it's the Adventure of the Seas... need to try out a few before committing to buy ;)

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 April 2014, 08:03:53 pm »
never had a boat but a friend who who did said " a boat is a hole in the water where you put all your money?"