Date: 27-04-24  Time: 22:19 pm

Author Topic: front pads and fluid change  (Read 3444 times)

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
front pads and fluid change
« on: 20 May 2016, 10:06:58 am »
Hi guys got new galfer pads so fitting this weekend.  :thumbup I've a couple of quick questions for the foccer font of all knowledge! Is it worth me changing from dot 4 to dot 5.1? I use the bike for commuting any thoughts? Also, how much fluid will I need- would a 500ml bottle do or will I need a full litre? Cheers . . . Fellas  :rollin :rollin :rollin
« Last Edit: 20 May 2016, 12:49:10 pm by celticdog »
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: front pads and fluid change
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2016, 12:48:31 pm »
Blatantly says only use Dot 4 on the master cylinder cap, and the brakes are pretty awesome enough using that, so I don't see why you'd need to try anything else?
It's not exactly expensive stuff, just get a litre so you can bleed the brakes properly, always better to have too much than not enough.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2016, 12:52:10 pm »
Blatantly says only use Dot 4 on the master cylinder cap, and the brakes are pretty awesome enough using that, so I don't see why you'd need to try anything else?
It's not exactly expensive stuff, just get a litre so you can bleed the brakes properly, always better to have too much than not enough.

Yes dot 4, just wondering if anyone has tried the dot 5.1 mod and how've they got on with it?
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2016, 02:22:23 pm »
5.1 is more for racing. A lot more absorbent to water etc so needs changing more often.

In reality, it is no different from DOT4 in use on road bikes.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2016, 03:47:16 pm »

Yes dot 4, just wondering if anyone has tried the dot 5.1 mod and how've they got on with it?

Someone has tried it 'cos I read it on here somewhere in the last few days, but not sure who it was?

Found him  :)

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,20089.0.html
« Last Edit: 20 May 2016, 03:51:23 pm by darrsi »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile

triker

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2016, 08:45:13 pm »
Dot 4 500ml enough when I did mine...

kgjersda

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2016, 09:35:05 pm »

Someone has tried it 'cos I read it on here somewhere in the last few days, but not sure who it was?

Found him  :)

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,20089.0.html

The guy from the other thread here :)
The brakes are working 100%, no problems with DOT 5.1 so far (800km). I'd like a little more bite from the brakes, but thats probably just worn out pads.

I had no real reason to use 5.1 over DOT 4. Just wanted to try it out.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2016, 08:48:11 pm »

The brakes are working 100%, no problems with DOT 5.1 so far (800km). I'd like a little more bite from the brakes, but thats probably just worn out pads.

Glad to hear it works ok. In the end I chickened out and went for dot 4  :\
But I'm going to use it on the rear when I next change the pads  :)
« Last Edit: 31 May 2016, 08:50:52 pm by celticdog »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 June 2016, 05:51:50 am »

Do you really want 'more bite' on the rear?
I can understand trying it out at the front, but personally i wouldn't bother using it on the rear just for every day riding.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 June 2016, 08:09:37 am »
I can understand trying it out at the front, but personally i wouldn't bother using it on the rear just for every day riding.

I'm strictly old school when it comes to braking darrsi, 80% front 20% rear rising to 50/50% in extremely wet road conditions  :)

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 June 2016, 08:28:54 am »

Brake fluid will make sod all difference to the bite (comparing 5.1 to 4, I don't mean comparing old to new fluid). Main difference is 5.1 has a higher boiling point, hence why its used on race bikes - you'll never get near the temperatures needed to boil fluid on the road unless you have a serious issue with your braking system. Downside is as pointed out its considerably more hygroscopic so will need bleeding more frequently, which is a bit pointless on a road bike too!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 June 2016, 10:00:07 am »

Brake fluid will make sod all difference to the bite (comparing 5.1 to 4, I don't mean comparing old to new fluid). Main difference is 5.1 has a higher boiling point, hence why its used on race bikes - you'll never get near the temperatures needed to boil fluid on the road unless you have a serious issue with your braking system. Downside is as pointed out its considerably more hygroscopic so will need bleeding more frequently, which is a bit pointless on a road bike too!

Sounds like unnecessary hard work to me, for no real gain at all.