Date: 22-05-24  Time: 13:57 pm

Author Topic: Front Fork Alignment (or something)  (Read 1660 times)

hightower

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Front Fork Alignment (or something)
« on: 27 February 2014, 12:01:26 pm »
So my bike is back on the road and feels good, except when I'm going as straight as possible it seems the bars are slightly turned to the right. Now I only mean slightly, but it's annoying me.

So, is this an easy problem to fix or should I even be classing it as a problem?

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
Re: Front Fork Alignment (or something)
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2014, 12:06:11 pm »
Stand with the front wheel between your legs and 'tweak' the bars in the direction you want them.
That's the redneck way I do it.

The long version from FZOA....
There is a correct way to install the forks. And it does involve the axle AND the pinch bolts.

First get the forks as close as you can "same height" in the triples (just snug tight), so that the axle (no rim yet) installed " can slides in through the forks and spin into place SMOOTHLY". NOW lock down the forks in the triple clamps.

Next install the rim and tire. Leave the brakes off or night tightened yet.

Torque the axle (which locks the rim and spacers on ONE side). On most bikes, this is the clutch side fork.

NOW.....PUSH the not clamped fork (that has the pinch bolt at the bottom.....brake side fork) IN toward the rim as far as it will go............and let it move back on it's own. "LOOK" at where the fork is in relation to that end of the axle. Maybe measure if needed.

Next .......PULL OUT that same fork AWAY from the rim.....and let it move back on it's own. Again "LOOK" at where the fork is in relation to that end of the axle.

SPLIT that distance so the forks is centered.

This ALIGNS the two forks in the center of there seals and fork guides.

NOW.......lock down the bottom pinch bolts. Now you can install the brakes ,etc, and ride.

I learned this procedure from LEE at TRAXXION DYNAMICS when I was trained at their factory.

Your forks will perform at their best. This does make a difference.

Wookee

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2014, 02:05:10 pm »
First thing I would do is have a look at the rear wheel alignment marks on the swingarm then run a straight edge along the wheels, if you don't have one then pop into your MOT place and ask if they will just check it for you. If that's all ok and it's that bad that you can't adapt to it (I've had this on a previous bike and adapted to it) then the redneck way above should work!! :)

johna6968

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2014, 08:13:37 pm »
Yup, as above.. back off the allen bolt clamps on top yoke, grip the front wheel between ya knees and turn bars to straighten.. Pushbike style  ;) ps.. retighten said Allen bolts before proceeding to ride and check alignment.. trial and error.. I am sure there is a more correct procedure as mentioned but works for me..
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it..

hightower

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2014, 10:02:43 am »
That sounds like a complex process. Redneck way it is ;)

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2014, 12:26:18 pm »
Delboy does a vid on this

Delboy's Garage, 'How-To' Re-align motorcycle forks the easy way.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...