Author Topic: Tyres  (Read 4433 times)

ajmes1

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Tyres
« on: 04 January 2014, 05:19:59 pm »
Will be looking for a new front tyre for my '02 600, and wondered what the advice of the wise and experienced would be, not just on the front but the rear too.

Planning on doing a fair amount of two up touring, but don't have a huge budget to spend on them!

Oh great voice on the inter web, direct me!

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Tyres
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2014, 05:35:39 pm »
Bridgestone BT023s are a good solid sports touring tyre, a popular choice and what I use myself. I think there's also a newer version called the T30 or similar. I tend to get around 10,000 miles out of a rear when it's replaced more due to squaring than lack of tread.

But the most popular choice on this forum and beyond (it's been discussed at some length  :) ) would be the Michelin PR2 (which also has a newer version called the PR3).

Either would be good choices and so for me it tends to come down to what's on offer locally and what you're used to and comfortable with.

Maybe someone has the link to that poll that was posted?

Andy
« Last Edit: 04 January 2014, 05:36:45 pm by andybesy »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2014, 06:43:58 pm »
My rear T30 set me back £160+.......great tyre but burns a hole in your wallet.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Arbie

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Honda Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 January 2014, 08:39:05 pm »
Used 023's for ages and are a great all round tyre and should be slightly cheaper than the new t30. Imho either set of Bridgestone or Michelin would be a good choice as there's very little between them and they will last  better than some cheaper tyres making them better value in the long run.

jason1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 January 2014, 09:25:06 pm »
I use Dunlop Roadsmart 2 , great all round tyre wet or dry. Much improved on the Original Roadsmart which still was a great tyre. Used to get 8k plus from rear and 12k plus easy from front . Ive covered 1k plus on the 2 and you can feel the extra grip in the dry and esp the wet.

hightower

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 January 2014, 09:48:10 pm »
I'm on 023s too, and although I don't have much experience in this department they do fill me with masses of confidence.

My motto was I can skimp on oil, air filters, and spark plugs, but not on the main thing keeping me right side up.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2014, 09:32:03 pm »
If you are on a budget, try Maxxis SuperMaxx Touring. They are pretty good, especially for the money. The spec is quite high too. Kevlar belts and modern 2 step compound. My front is 2 y/o and I'm on to the second rear. I toured Europe in the summer and did 4 laps of the Nurburgring with them. There were 2 guys there having a pop at them. One on an R1, the other on a Gixxer. They were not so smug when I passed them on my 14 y/o budget hack with "tractor" tyres and a luggage rack  :lol . I have topped the ton in the rain and can ride with confidence and up to my (limited) limit.

Stewarton Run on board a Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer
- with said tyres on a cold day, with cold tyres.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2014, 09:05:02 pm »
I recently got a new rear. 75 quid + 25 fitting. Metzeler Sportmax. Prob won't give me a million miles, but ideal for winter. And at that price?!  :woot

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 January 2014, 07:16:57 am »
Metzeler Z6 here (thought I'd wait for another to post Metzeler  :lol ) and no complaints on wet grip at all. Wearing well and decent price.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

ElkWorks

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 January 2014, 07:24:00 am »
metzeler Z6 are good, had some on my bandit.

Run Michelin Pilot powers on the fazer, as I have on 4 of my other bikes, fantastic tyres, hard wearing if you get the 2CT rear, and loads of grip come rain or shine.

ajmes1

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 January 2014, 05:32:58 pm »
Awesome plenty to look at then! I'll have a browse, the front is justs starting to square off slightly.

gerkin

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 February 2014, 02:37:34 pm »
my 023 front has squared off after 7k only half worn ,wont be using them again,can else recomend roadsmarts?

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #12 on: 24 February 2014, 03:20:20 pm »
Metzeler Z6 here (thought I'd wait for another to post Metzeler  :lol ) and no complaints on wet grip at all. Wearing well and decent price.

Ditto, Metzeler Z6's front and back. Front has been on about 15-16 months, done about 8k, still got plenty of tread. Held up fine through two winters, albeit seen no ice this year. Back went on early last summer, probably done 5k odd, still going strong, but showing signs of starting to square off (I ride in city 90% of time).

Would like to compare against the Z8's, but none in my size were in stock last time I replaced.

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 February 2014, 04:28:07 pm »
Check out the prices of a set of Continental Road Attack 2's aswell. Continental are a brand I had never used before but I currently have a set on my boxeye and I'm more than impressed. I fancy a set of Race Attacks on the Gen 1 when it needs some.

I paid £104 for my latest rear Road Attack 2 so a full set should be no more than £200.
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #14 on: 24 February 2014, 05:42:54 pm »
Check out the prices of a set of Continental Road Attack 2's aswell. Continental are a brand I had never used before but I currently have a set on my boxeye and I'm more than impressed. I fancy a set of Race Attacks on the Gen 1 when it needs some.

I paid £104 for my latest rear Road Attack 2 so a full set should be no more than £200.

RA2 are perfect, but last very little. And have canvas lining. The metal ones, like Metzeler, are a lot safer IMO, in case of sharp objects cutting them. I'd recommend M5 interact, or Z6 if UK roads are as grippy as they say.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

johna6968

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 February 2014, 08:37:09 pm »
Had brand new set of the Maxxis supermaxx fitted to my old thundercat following all the hype.. Would never use them again and to be honest spoiled a good bike.. There are better tyres to be had for not much more money..
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it..

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 February 2014, 02:31:58 am »

RA2 are perfect, but last very little. And have canvas lining. The metal ones, like Metzeler, are a lot safer IMO, in case of sharp objects cutting them. I'd recommend M5 interact, or Z6 if UK roads are as grippy as they say.

I have had no issues with the RA2's wearing quickly. My boxeye had a set fitted when I bought it and from checking the service records the rear had lasted about 10,000 miles when I changed it. It still had plenty of tread left then but had squared off and was spoiling the bikes handling. As the front was still good I just replaced the rear and the bike is now sweet again.
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 February 2014, 08:41:26 am »
I know that people mostly want miles but what if you dont care how many you get and what if you only ride in the dry, and what if the only straight roads you ride are the ones you have to use to get to some twisties. What can that person get.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #18 on: 28 February 2014, 08:57:20 am »
I know that people mostly want miles but what if you dont care how many you get and what if you only ride in the dry, and what if the only straight roads you ride are the ones you have to use to get to some twisties. What can that person get.

Bridgestone BT016 Pro, Metzeler Sportec M5 Interact.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #19 on: 28 February 2014, 10:00:17 am »
Dunno if I spoke too soon about the age of my front Metzeler Z6 tyre, but appeared to have a bit of a slow puncture, which got progressively worse this week, until Wednesday when I had to pump it up three times in one day... :(  Anyway, popped by some garages, none had that size in stock (is it really that unusual?!), got a Z8 ordered for today. However yesterday, I pumped the tyre up again and noticed it was leaking like mad from the valve - oooh hello? Quick Google reveals it may have just been a dodgy valve core. Popped by Halfords, got a valve tool and packet of spare valve cores (£7). Tightened up the existing valve to begin with, turned out it was super loose. Tyre now appears to be hold pressure absolutely fine!

Gonna still pick up the new Z8 tyre mind, as my current Z6, although still got a bit of life left in it, the centre treads are down to about 1.5mm. Rather play it safe, than have a slip just for the sake of eeking out a couple more months out of a tyre.

Moral of the story: If you've got a flat tyre or tyre that needs pumping up often, double check the valve is tightened up enough!