Date: 01-05-24  Time: 15:47 pm

Author Topic: Tyre Pressures: Metzeler Sportec M3  (Read 2268 times)

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Tyre Pressures: Metzeler Sportec M3
« on: 11 December 2013, 12:13:00 pm »
I got the above fitted to my 99 Fazer yesterday and the guy put 42 PSI in. I said to him the user manual for the bike says 32/36, he shrugged.

I weight 85+4 kilos, and more often than not, carry some stuff in a tailpack, so am wondering whether I should leave the 42 or drop it to 40,38,36?

My riding is usually urban with the occasional A road and less occasionally motorway rides.

I'm happy with 32 in the front.

Bike does feel very sensitive to all the bumps and grooves in the tarmac, so am definitely tempted to drop it a bit, but do want to have the pressure ideal for best tyre wear and longevity.

Thanks.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre Pressures: Metzeler Sportec M3
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2013, 01:12:57 pm »
It does tend to be a personal thing with tyres, i'm a bit heavier than you (cough) and i'm now on 36f/40r.
If i run below 36 on the front it simply doesn't feel right for me, and i was running 42 rear but found it a tad too hard as well.
At your weight i would suggest 34f and maybe 38 or 40r and just see how it feels, it doesn't hurt to experiment a bit.
If it's not right for you then you will know after a while..
If you always carry luggage, or a pillion, then 36f & 42r seems to be the norm.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2013, 01:16:14 pm »
You've got to think, the manual is now at best 15 years old, and tyre tech had moved on a bit since then.

I ran 40/34 on mine, I'm same weight as you, and it handled very well. Run the same pressures on my 600 bandit with 'modern' tyres. Same result really.
My fz1 runs 42 rear, but that's a 190 tyre!
Have a play around with your pressures 2psi at a time to see what works for you. You can't go wrong anywhere between 40-34 rear I suppose.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2013, 05:40:02 pm »
I'd be more likely to ring the tyre manufacturer, tell them your bike,and they'll let you know what their guiding psi is. Then tweak it a couple PSI each way at a time and see whether it improves, or gets worse, then stick with it when it feels good!

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2013, 07:44:31 pm »
Thanks all, I have managed to find their phone number and will call them in the morning and see what they say, and also then reduce by 2psi at a time. I'm sure I won't stick with 42 as it does seem quite harsh!