Date: 31-05-24  Time: 06:30 am

Author Topic: Back fire on start up  (Read 1402 times)

Crewpack

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Back fire on start up
« on: 29 March 2012, 09:50:19 am »
Hi guys , yet again I find myself needing all of your advice.
This morning when I went to start my fazer 1000 there was a back fire and vapour came out from under the seat, quickly took the seat off and lifted the tank and could not see anything out of the ordinary. I have recently given the bike a service and took it on 30 miles ride ( to squires and back ) for a test ride with no problems. Can anybody tell me why this has happended? will it be ok to keep riding it or is there something i need to look for.

Again thanks for your help and advice I'm suppose to be going to the lakes today and don't know what to do, I have just started the bike again with no issues
Thank you
Crew

t

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Re: Back fire on start up
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2012, 12:46:26 pm »
its prob not a issue, if your worried you could pull out the air filter and make sure its not scorched but i doubt it would be.
i used to make my XJR back fire on command, even fitted a flame kit to the exhaust for a while to shoot a 2 foot flame out the back when it did it :P

if it dose it offten then you need to start to check other causes but any bike can do it sometimes. its normaly caused by a build up of fuel vapour in the exhaust system but can be build up in other places sometimes.

gertmiller

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2012, 06:24:26 pm »
As Ghostbiker said, probably not an issue. Mine did exactly the same last week, 5.30 in the morning, whoops!! Laughed all the way to work once I got out of our street without anybody throwing something at me :lol Its run perfect ever since so no problem.

Crewpack

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2012, 06:35:15 pm »
Ghostbiker & Gertmiller

Guys thanks very much for your replies , decided to go to the lake district , no problems with bike and so far no more back firing.

Cheers guys

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2015 R1 and 2015 speed triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2012, 04:39:42 am »
Nah nowt to worry about

mine did this the other day after not starting for 4 months !

I cranked the motor a bit no choke just to get some oil round before a whiff of choke, and then she fired with a puff and cough out the exhaust and airbox.

normal running occured within a minute or two . these bikes cant make their mind up if they need choke or not . worse still on standard jetting .

Get Mike to do a full monty and see the difference if you aint had it done, it starts so much better and warm morns like we are having you find no choke is needed.

the acts a bit like me when i get up in the morn after too many rollups ! cough cough and away !