Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Fazer 1000/FZ1 corner

Rough running FZS1000

(1/3) > >>

BJohnD:
I’ve recently bought another FZS1000 and  been trying to get it to run right. It stutters at low revs (up to 3k) and backfires on overrun. It pulls well above 3k but doesn’t feel as powerful as my previous but that maybe because it had an Ivan’s “slip on” kit, which I haven’t yet installed on this one. It’s done 46k

I’m looking for ideas on what may be the problem as I’m running out of ideas myself.

* Done so far:
* Stripped and cleaned carbs
*    Cleaned jets, checked sizes. Needle size & position
*    Checked diaphragms for punctures
*    Checked float height
*    Balanced Carbs
* Set valve clearances
* TPS failed so new TPS, set to 5k (tried 10k bounce)
* Checked & cleaned electrical connectors
* New filters (air, fuel & oil)
* Check resistances etc on Coils, TPS, sender, plug caps
* Swapped out plug caps to make an equal set
* Cut recommended ½” from ignition leads
* Changed plugs (CR9E & CR9EIX)
* Stripped Exup & straightened to ensure it opened & closed smoothly, rebuilt & adjusted Seems to runs best with mixture screws 2½ turns out
Plugs are whiteish

I haven’t checked the compression yet but don’t see any indication that is the problem.

My next thought is a worn cam chain, anyone any experiences with this or know where I can find timing for valve opening & closing?
 If I replace it, I am assuming I will have to use a “split” chain (at £80) rather than the original endless (at £24), unless anyone can advise a way to do it without splitting the crankcase.

Falcon 269:
Cam chain won't be worn at 46k.  I know of Gen 1s with 146k on the motor and still no cam chain wear. :)

I don't see mention of you changing the O-rings on the float valve needle seats.  That would be my first port of call for any low-speed rough-running issues, along with the pilot jets and their passageways.

Gaz66:

--- Quote from: Falcon 269 on 14 May 2021, 08:24:46 am ---Cam chain won't be worn at 46k.  I know of Gen 1s with 146k on the motor and still no cam chain wear. :)

I don't see mention of you changing the O-rings on the float valve needle seats.  That would be my first port of call for any low-speed rough-running issues, along with the pilot jets and their passageways.

--- End quote ---

Good call Mike, u beat me to it ...

BJohnD:

--- Quote from: Falcon 269 on 14 May 2021, 08:24:46 am ---Cam chain won't be worn at 46k.  I know of Gen 1s with 146k on the motor and still no cam chain wear. :)

--- End quote ---

I have only found one person who has said their cam chain was worn, hence wanting to find the valve opening & closing angles so that I can check mine to see if the timing is right. If I could use the endless chain, for £24, I’d put one in to make sure, but, at £80 for a split chain, I’d want to be more certain.

I have changed the “o” rings even though there was no sign of flooding. The carbs were my first port of call to clean jets etc. I’ve now stripped and cleaned them 3 times. I think I’ve got the passageways checked, but had hoped to find a fuel & air flow diagram for them so I could be sure I’ve got them all clear where they need to be.

Gaz66:
Exup valve all free & adjusted correctly with a bit of cable free play?
Check actuator's not seized, crank motor over with kill switch "Off" while watching Exup pulley, pulley should rotate clockwise about am 1/8th of a turn & return back rest position after cranking.

Back-firing on over-run? I've had this issue with my Kawy ZRX11 ... tiny O-ring missing from carb mixture screw (previous owner) I might add, backfired like a bastid till I found it when I pulled carbs to apart.

Have u pulled main loom multi-plugs apart to check for bad connection & corrosion? especially plugs in left side fairing.
I assume you've a good battery? & checked all resistance limits on ignition & charging system, all can make bike run shite.
Have u fitted Iridium plugs? older ignition systems tend not to like em, probly best to stick to original spec plugs.

What type of air filter fitted? K&N's make any bike run like a bitch if even slightly over oiled.

Let us know how you're getting on, all being well the fault will be found?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version