Date: 29-03-24  Time: 07:17 am

Author Topic: Luggage options for FZ1S - NOT Givi or Kappa  (Read 1123 times)

roxburd

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Luggage options for FZ1S - NOT Givi or Kappa
« on: 12 April 2021, 09:21:30 am »

Hey all,

I have a 2001 FZS Fazer 1000 with the Givi kit fitted and I'm very happy with it. It's not the prettiest thing ever but it doesn't stand out too bad and it gets the job done. It looks like this:

I'm looking for luggage options for a 2013 FZ1S Fazer 1000 and I'm seeing this:

Now... I understand that the tail is much shorter on the FZ1S... so that causes issues for mounting luggage... but hmmm. Well, it does look a bit like a load of scaffolding hung off the back of the bike. That's unfortunate but the big problem for me is that the black side rail that supports the top plate actually obscures the rear light! When I think about my trip back from the IoM a couple of years back, 6 hours at night in rain so heavy you couldn't see a thing... the thought of someone joining the carriageway behind me and my rear light being obscured by my luggage... Well, that's enough for me to avoid the bike altogether - if I can't fit it with a luggage system that's safe.

So my question is, are there any other luggage system options for the FZ1S?

Cheers,
Dave

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
Re: Luggage options for FZ1S - NOT Givi or Kappa
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2021, 10:11:37 am »

I’m guessing by your post that you may be taking a pillion and therefore need a top box AND pannier set?

If not, how about the following options..........

Ventura? With a rack pack?
Sw Motech Blaze panniers with maybe a Kriega Us 20/10/10 combo on the pillion seat? Soft luggage I know, so it might not be what you’re looking for.

Good luck with your search.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2021, 11:34:15 am »
You could always consider a Givi top box with the lighting kit in the lid. You’d need to get the correct Monokey plate that has the electric pickup for the box.
Although the Ventura is a good idea, they don’t handle much weight unless the heavy bag is over the seat. I’ve used one for 27 years on my Triumph, but I’ve beefed mine up with a solid rod welded inside the tube, as travelling over one decent bump in the road can cause them to bend if carrying any weight. The same happened to one fitted to my Fireblade. Another option with the Kriega bags is the US30 with a US20 strapped on top, which is one option I have on my Fazer along with the Ventura and Givi. I seem to have more luggage than bikes :lol .
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2021, 03:17:22 pm »
Ventura? With a rack pack?
Fun fack - the rack pack can be reversed so its sitting above the pillion seat.

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2021, 04:00:19 pm »
I used Kriega bags on my ZX10R. I found them brilliant, held a lot of weight, wrapped up properly, they held a lot of stuff and easy to move about off the bike. Anything that stays on at 160mph on the autobahn is a great product in my eyes :eek
« Last Edit: 12 April 2021, 04:01:17 pm by old son »

roxburd

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2021, 06:08:45 pm »
Cheers guys,

Yeah, I do need to take panniers and a pillion and camping stuff strapped down onto the top plate.

I also do some bloodrunning and for that I need to be able to strap down two big boxes. On the FZS one goes on the top plate and the other on the pillion seat so I'd need something similar on the FZ1.

The idea of using the rear light built in to the top box is a great idea, thanks, robbo. But I don't use a top box. I guess I'll have to look at other bikes. Such a shame.

Cheers,
Dave

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2021, 09:20:53 pm »
Cheers guys,

Yeah, I do need to take panniers and a pillion and camping stuff strapped down onto the top plate.

I also do some bloodrunning and for that I need to be able to strap down two big boxes. On the FZS one goes on the top plate and the other on the pillion seat so I'd need something similar on the FZ1.

The idea of using the rear light built in to the top box is a great idea, thanks, robbo. But I don't use a top box. I guess I'll have to look at other bikes. Such a shame.

Cheers,
Dave

Does sound like a different bike might be better for your needs.
Having recently spent loads of time looking for a new bike I would suggest taking a look at a Triumph Sprint GT. They are marginally cheaper than the Fz1, look great and come with matching solid panniers. Should be more than good enough for touring and your blood bike work.
Either way I hope you get sorted 👍🏻