Date: 18-05-24  Time: 13:43 pm

Author Topic: Fazer owners near Basingstoke  (Read 1339 times)

gasmanxxxr1

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Fazer owners near Basingstoke
« on: 24 June 2017, 12:22:29 pm »

Any fazer owners live near Basingstoke?

Would like some advice on what is ailing my 2001 boxeye.

Running rough and very viby. rebuilt carbs, balanced carbs, new air filter, oil filter fuel filter. new front sprocket and knut

Bikes don nearly 17000 miles.

Its getting so I don't want to ride it anymore, pins and needles in my hands after riding it, plus I get embarrassed taking it to loomies  :'(

Thanks for reading the sob story

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Fazer owners near Basingstoke
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2017, 12:32:07 pm »
Is it only rough at idle or everywhere? When you say the carbs were rebuilt what exactly was done? Is the bike parked for long periods? Is it garaged or left outside? It has low mileage so I doubt it's anything serious

gasmanxxxr1

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2017, 12:50:07 pm »
I have owned the bike since October. I keep it garaged, before that it was kept outside and not ridden by the owner.

Carbs taken apart and cleaned then reassembled with the parts from the rebuild kits. However I do think the air mixture screws are a problem as there was no new o rings etc in the kit. Then back on the bike and balanced. Although the success of the balance is questionable as even just touching the adjustment screw produced a result on the gauge. TPS adjusted to spec, idle adjusted to spec.

Rough on idle, will cut out without the choke on full even on a hot day. Idle speed all seems to do what ever it wants even after it being adjusted.

Rough on acceleration, very chattery as in the clocks shake and wobble on acceleration. does not like being in say 3rd gear at 30,ph and is slow to respond when given throttle. Doesn't accelerate smooth through the rev range.

I'm getting so frustrated by the whole bike. I'm a gas engineer by trade so know who to approach things in mechanical, engineering type way. But it feels like the bike is fighting me the whole way. About 6 of the screws on the carbs had to be drilled out, the 2 of the air mixture screw heads snapped off on the lightest touch like they are made from choclate, the list goes on.

Sorry for the rant, I guess you guys know what its like when the bike is not running right. It would be such a great bike if it just behaved its self. 

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2017, 01:26:38 pm »
They can be frustrating alright. Sounds as though it's most likely the carbs that are the problem. If it won't rev up without choke then it's probably not getting enough fuel or it's getting too much air. Is idle speed staying high? Like when you close the throttle is it's slow return back to idle? That would suggest a vacuum leak at the intake manifolds. You could spray some carb cleaner or wd40 around the intake and listen for a change in rpm. A change in rpm would confirm a leak. The carbs might not be seated fully. Did you get the snapped mixture screws out?

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2017, 02:05:30 pm »

Having done all that work on the carbs only to find that the bike still misbehaves… yes, I’m not surprised you’re having a rant!

It sounds as though one or more cylinders are not contributing. A plug check might give some information, but if you’ve not already had them out, go carefully! They may not unscrew easily from a bike that’s spent a lot of its life sat out in the weather… you definitely don’t want to shear them off.

It’s possible the fault is electrical rather than down to fuelling.
As an easy next step, I’d chuck the original plug caps and trim the leads by 8-10mm before fitting some NGK replacements if that’s not already been done.

gasmanxxxr1

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2017, 02:14:22 pm »
Thanks for all the responses guys I'm feeling calmer already.

The mixture screws are still in. I filled a slot in them so they can be taken out and replaced. Anyone have a link to some new ones that will fit?

changed spark plugs and cut a bit off the leads, it did make a small improvement. I wonder if new caps would show even more improvement.

love this site and all those who make it great.

Cheers

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2017, 02:34:02 pm »
Definitely worth a try I'd say. These have cured similar symptoms for many people on here, myself included.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2017, 03:14:45 pm »
Just to give my 2 pence worth, i had running trouble with my bike years ago and after taking it to a different mechanic it was found that one of the carb rubbers, number 2 i think so not easy to spot, had folded in on itself on reassembly causing an air leak after having the carbs off.
Just something you could also double check.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

gasmanxxxr1

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2017, 04:46:16 pm »
Are the carb rubbers the same for 1999 to 2003 5dm fazers?  Seen some ebay for 1999, I have a 2001 bike

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 June 2017, 05:19:24 pm »
Are the carb rubbers the same for 1999 to 2003 5dm fazers?  Seen some ebay for 1999, I have a 2001 bike

Yep, 98-03 the same part
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

sgpwwg

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 June 2017, 10:18:43 pm »
Carbs can be real pain to fit back on. After so many times of doing this myself with many carb related issues, I have found that fitting the carbs to the air box first and ensuring that they fitted properly guarantees no air leaks as it is easy to fold the inner airbox carb rubbers inside the card bell mouth, then push the whole lot on the carb rubbers on the head. Also check that the carb slides go up and down smoothly and you can feel the resistance from the diaphragms, these carbs are at least 14 years old and the diaphragms can get tired or even split.

gasmanxxxr1

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 June 2017, 10:03:10 am »
Ive ordered new carb rubbers and spark plug caps