Date: 06-05-24  Time: 19:58 pm

Author Topic: More meddling  (Read 1657 times)

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
More meddling
« on: 30 January 2012, 02:42:11 pm »
Have they even given the recent changes chance to effect the stats?

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2012/January/jan3012-petition-to-scrap-new-licence-rules/

Wouldn't mind so much if they did the same for cars....poorly trained but "qualified" cagers....fewer SMIDSYs....attack on bikers....tax on young drivers....car test needs "propper" maneuvers test like bikes....blah blah blah.... :groan
thou shalt not kick

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
Re: More meddling
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2012, 11:01:54 pm »
I know what this is its moving adulthood further and further away,as i am often heard to say '' 28 is the new 18''

They don t like motorcycles so by making it harder and harder to ride one the nearer they are to getting rid of them. It could be said that motorcycles are not logical when there are cars, but life its self is not logical but its a fantastic experience ohh! just like motorbiking.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2012, 04:06:17 am »
ok forgive me if i am reading this wrong as it is 4amish lol

But isnt the current law 12bhp for learners... yet they want to raise it to 15bhp. now i know that dosent sound a LOT but it is a 25% rise.
also the current restriction is 33bhp and they want it to 47 bhp, again its actualy a fair % increase.
personaly i think 33bhp was allways a little on the low side for "most" bikes. but throw in a low bhp single cylinder bike with lots of tourqe and i can see why it was 33bhp.

I dont object to raising the limit from 33 to 47, as in my mind this law was "ment" to stop the whole passing test and jumping on a blade or r1. this still stops that and r6 etc but dose bring in a better range of the older 400-600 machines so im for that.
but 24 for direct accses is a bit steep, at the MOST 21 but i dont see much of a problem with 19 for DA.

my daughter passed at 18 so at 20 she can move on and ride a bigger bike (and she has in mind a fazer 6 :P )
i dont see whats wrong with restricting accses for 2 years, i would prefer 1 year at 33 or 47 then a year at say 70ish bhp then unlimited. but adding in tests to do so is just money grabing.
If the above was applied i dont even see the need for direct acces at all.
the idea that just because you pass on a clapt out 500 you can then jump on a r1 is crazy anyway.

donkey93

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2012, 09:39:08 am »
at the moment learners can have up to 11kw which is 14.75hp

and 33hp isnt that bad but i think 45-55hp would be a better level i feel 70hp is a bit to high if you coming from a 10-15hp 125

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2012, 03:28:17 pm »
well the 70 was affter a year on the lower 33-50 bhp not direct from a 125. but as it is now and under my idea you COULD pass your restricted 33 bhp and then just carry on riding your 125 for 2 years (a friend is doing this right now) then be able to jump to what ever you wanted at that time. so there is no assurance that in that 2 years a rider will pick up any knowlage of how to handle a bigger bike.

there is no perfect scheam but i do wish they would introduce something along these lines across the board on car drivers as well. i did like the idea of P plates for 1-2 years (though to be enforced) and while on a P plate restricted in Size or power to wieght ratio etc
what i am against though is adding in extra tests for it.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2012, 05:00:06 pm »
I jumped on a 600 from an 100 after doing DAS on a 500. Funnily enough I felt more vulnerable on the 100 after riding a bigger bike but then I'd already been on a larger bike and knew what I was missing. I suppose two years on a restricted licence should give you enough road sense but the step up in power/torque/weight can be massive. Maybe a CBT-like course (not another test) after the two years to derestrict your licence is a sensible middle ground?

I definitely think there should be power/engine size restrictions on new car licences similar to bikes and compulsory motorway training for both licences. What politician/motoring group would risk loosing support bringing that up though?
thou shalt not kick

donkey93

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2012, 08:33:03 pm »
Maybe a CBT-like course (not another test) after the two years to derestrict your licence is a sensible middle ground?

it does say on mcn that
At 19 they can qualify for a bike of up to 47bhp by doing another test or additional training
so that might be the idea but i can see them scraping the training and just making it another test