Date: 27-04-24  Time: 17:50 pm

Author Topic: Classic status  (Read 1135 times)

snoopysmutt

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Classic status
« on: 03 July 2023, 05:14:21 pm »
Not been on here for some while, so someone may have asked this question previously. Why hasn't the FZS600 attained the sought after cult type following that the RD250 / RD350 (for instance) has?   After all the Fazer is a good looking reliable classic bike every bit as desirable as the earlier strokers, in my opinion.  I,ve had my FZS600 from new (13/06/1998) and it's still a nice bike to ride, still all original, pristine condition, passed every MOT first time, but It seems that at 25years old it's only worth about £2K. Surely these early Fazers are undervalued as the RD's are fetching £5k - £10K!  Thoughts? :)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Classic status
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2023, 09:10:32 pm »
My insurance through Ageas is called "Future Classic Vintage" but maybe we have to go another 10 years to match the RD. Perhaps to be a classic part of it is how rare they are ?
My bike is May 1998 we had a thing a few years ago to find the oldest fazer and if \I remember right it was mine - by a few days. I think the bike in the UK was released in May ?. Although I brought it 3 years later. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

snoopysmutt

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2023, 10:30:32 pm »
My insurance through Ageas is called "Future Classic Vintage" but maybe we have to go another 10 years to match the RD. Perhaps to be a classic part of it is how rare they are ?
My bike is May 1998 we had a thing a few years ago to find the oldest fazer and if \I remember right it was mine - by a few days. I think the bike in the UK was released in May ?. Although I brought it 3 years later.

basher

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 July 2023, 10:32:17 pm »

how does one find out when their bike was made/registered? ive a 98 too

snoopysmutt

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 July 2023, 10:35:27 pm »
Yes all fair points I guess but I will be 82 by then so unlikely to still be riding!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 July 2023, 10:59:40 pm »

Its on your registration documents -- V5 it will state first registered. Or look at the date on your receipt from when you brought it  :lol   

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 July 2023, 11:00:41 pm »
Yes all fair points I guess but I will be 82 by then so unlikely to still be riding!
Well I like to think I will still be riding then. 

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2023, 05:41:03 am »

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 July 2023, 12:19:09 pm »
I'm 80 and i have no plans for giving up riding in the foreseeable future. Of course you never know what cards life might deal you but best to be optimistic and make the most of it while you can.
My FZS600 is a 2000 model and I've had it nineteen years and it's what i use most of the time. It does everything I need so I don't see any need to go for anything different so its actual value is irrelevant.

Frasier

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - YZF750R, TT600R, YZ250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 July 2023, 11:01:36 am »
I hope it will be recognized. Currently bastardized to "cafe racers", because cheap, reliable, plenty. But it will change. In my country I can register it as an "oldtimer" and can get an "OT-xxxx"-type license plate for it, in 2028.
To be honest the Fz/Fazer lineup never moved me, the only exception was the boxeye. For me is a cool looking bike, and the height of japanese reliabilty, true multipurpose bike, sporty if you want, comfortable if you want, has torque, has power, good sized but narrow tank, flickable, exceptional monoblock brake calipers etc., I could carry on forever. Never liked the newer versions, too much resemblance to virtually any other jap bikes of the era.
But last year finally bought a '98, and I don't plan to sell it, on contrary, did a complete restoration of it (except the everlasting engine).

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 July 2023, 12:58:11 pm »
OT-xxxx"-type license plate
OLD TIMER reg plate, sounds like the opposite of our "L" plate.
Or is the plate also your tax, like USA or whatever they do.

Frasier

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - YZF750R, TT600R, YZ250
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 July 2023, 06:51:40 pm »
Here the license plate is exclusive to the vehicle. If we buy or sell a vehicle the plate comes or goes with it. The Oldtimer plate can be requested if the vehicle is in good and original condition, and goes through a special "vintage MOT". Then it  gets the new plate, the tax will be lower, the MOT is once in every 5 years. The value of the vehicle is higher on the market. It is not a junkyard refugee anymore, the people seems to appreciate it usually. You know, it's not an old junk on the road anymore, instead a valuable museum piece, haha... or something along these lines...

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 July 2023, 08:48:27 am »
Here the license plate is exclusive to the vehicle. If we buy or sell a vehicle the plate comes or goes with it. The Oldtimer plate can be requested if the vehicle is in good and original condition, and goes through a special "vintage MOT". Then it  gets the new plate, the tax will be lower, the MOT is once in every 5 years. The value of the vehicle is higher on the market. It is not a junkyard refugee anymore, the people seems to appreciate it usually. You know, it's not an old junk on the road anymore, instead a valuable museum piece, haha... or something along these lines...
I see, I like the idea of a special "vintage" MOT then every 5 years. I guess the vintage mot is to first check that it is kept in mint condition and its not just old and knackered before they let you go to every 5 years. And a mint collectors piece is likly to be ridden less so you get cheaper tax. So where in the world are you.