Date: 28-04-24  Time: 03:20 am

Author Topic: Front sprocket nut  (Read 1623 times)

Arbie

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Honda Blackbird
    • View Profile
Front sprocket nut
« on: 09 November 2013, 12:05:10 pm »
Hi all. Regarding the 9mm to 12mm sprocket nut replacement was this a factory recall does anyone know ? Just asked my local yam dealer about it after giving him Reg and frame numbers and he emailed saying there are no recalls on my bike. I'm just trying to get out of taking the sprocket cover off and measuring it unless I really have to. I'm not lazy honest  :)  Cheers.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Front sprocket nut
« Reply #1 on: 09 November 2013, 12:29:45 pm »
It wasn't an actual recall BUT there was a service note to Yamaha dealers to inspect and replace parts if they were ever approached with the issue.
Seeing it in writing and getting them to do anything is another matter though.
If you're lucky they may change the nut for you free of charge, or they should at least give you the nut to change yourself, but you'll probably end up buying it like most people have.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 November 2013, 12:36:52 pm »

Look at the photo and you can see the new nut is very flush to the end of the shaft.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,9329.25.html

Arbie

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Honda Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 November 2013, 04:01:39 pm »
Cheers darrsi. Think I might just order the nut and washer anyway and have a look next weekend. If its already been done then happy days. Btw a similar think happened on my old 87 FZ750 genesis some years ago. Fitted new chain and sprockets but under torqued the nut by about 20nm....My dad had read it wrong and had already put it back together when we realised. It's got a lock washer on it he said so thought it would be fine. Some months later I heard a rumbling noise coming from the front sprocket area but being young and dumb didn't put two and two together....about 8000 miles later took it to my local bike shop for a new chain and sprocket kit and on collection he smiled and said I find this lying inside the casing and presented me with the threaded sprocket nut !!!! Still...no harm done. :\ My next Yamaha was a 900 diversion btw :) But the mechanic then mentioned something about Fazers and sprocket nuts.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2013, 04:37:53 pm »
The Inspection Notice (not a recall) that Yamaha issued to the Dealerships essentially says the following:  Any FZS600 Fazers model (1998-2003), regardless of whether it still in warranty or has been serviced officially in the Dealer channel can be inspected at any official Dealer.  Remove the existing nut and washer. Measure the drive shaft OD of the threaded part (micrometer or vernier caliper). If >= 17.5 mm - clean threads and fit a new washer & nut with threadlock. If < 17.5 mm - the drive shaft must be replaced. (This work could take between 1 day to 2 weeks depending on dealer workload).

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 November 2013, 04:41:54 pm »
Nut & washer kit part number is 90891-10124