Date: 28-04-24  Time: 10:39 am

Author Topic: Cheap mods  (Read 2735 times)

Arbie

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Honda Blackbird
    • View Profile
Cheap mods
« on: 05 November 2013, 05:33:05 pm »
Hi there. As a new fazer owner FZS 600 03 model can anyone throw some good cheap mods and upgrades my way ? Also what is there to look out for on the bad side ? Thanks all :)

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap mods
« Reply #1 on: 05 November 2013, 05:42:37 pm »
Good cheap mods - K&N air filter, Chazzo levers, double bubble screen, Scottoiler (of course)
Things to watch - original shock turns into a pogo stick after about 20k miles, and the original downpipes disintegrate at the same time.
But it is a fantastic bike  :)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 November 2013, 05:49:17 pm »
Go to the search bar along the top of the site, type in "front sprocket nut" this will give you all the info you need on a known fault...best done asap.

1st gear is always clunky to engage, totally normal, 1st to 2nd should be done gracefully without revving the nuts off it in 1st then trying to engage 2nd & also trying to be too quick with the change can result in serious crunching.after that the gearbox is sweet & the engine loves to be revved.

Handlebars are soft as chocolate, if it has ever fallen over i reckon the bars will be bent.renthal 758's handlebars are a nice upgrade on standard.a jck up kit comprising of shorter dog bones will improve the turn in on corners.

Apart from that a k&n air filter & decent end can is a nice mod, no need to do any re jetting.if you do an oil change make sure you buy a k&n oil filter as they have a nut on which makes taking it off next time much easier.

Basically a nice bike as standard really so not too much to do.

Oh & welcome to the forum. 8)
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2013, 06:24:23 pm »
Headlight mod, so that both lights are on low beam instead of just the one, and brighter but plastic friendly bulbs.
Mind you, i'd be amazed if this hasn't already been done!
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 November 2013, 08:09:26 pm »
Looks like it's a foxeye, so both lights should be on anyway.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 November 2013, 08:18:58 pm »
Looks like it's a foxeye, so both lights should be on anyway.

Just testing.......  :lol

Arbie

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Honda Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 November 2013, 08:29:10 pm »
Thanks guys most helpful. I looked into the sprocket nut problem and I take it the difference between the 9mm and 12mm nut is the depth of the thread ? Also mine is an 03 foxeye and as it's only showing 6k so will still have the original sprocket on....anyone know if this would be the older or updated nut....save me pulling the cover off and all that. Cheers.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 November 2013, 08:39:21 pm »
Thanks guys most helpful. I looked into the sprocket nut problem and I take it the difference between the 9mm and 12mm nut is the depth of the thread ? Also mine is an 03 foxeye and as it's only showing 6k so will still have the original sprocket on....anyone know if this would be the older or updated nut....save me pulling the cover off and all that. Cheers.

12mm is literally the whole width of the nut, the 9mm one just doesn't seem man enough for the job.
Can't say which nut will be on yours, although at 6k i'd imagine the original one is still on it at a guess?
But if the previous owner was a member of this forum then it may have been swapped.
Only one way to find out though for sure!
Don't worry about the gasket on the sprocket cover, it's pretty damn pointless and not necessary to replace it, the cover is a very snug fit.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #8 on: 06 November 2013, 05:10:09 am »
65,000 kilometers with one nut. Hope I haven't just cursed myself. Changed front srpocket a few days ago (put a smaller one). No signs of getting loose.

I think it's original one. About 1mm of thread shows past the nut. Guess the 12mm one would go over the entire thread. Maybe I'll measure it, but it looked under 1cm thick.

2001. model.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 November 2013, 05:42:12 am »
65,000 kilometers with one nut. Hope I haven't just cursed myself. Changed front srpocket a few days ago (put a smaller one). No signs of getting loose.

I think it's original one. About 1mm of thread shows past the nut. Guess the 12mm one would go over the entire thread. Maybe I'll measure it, but it looked under 1cm thick.

2001. model.

The new nut does look kind of flush to the end of the shaft when put on.
Not everyone will have the problem, it's just the fact that a lot of bikes have in one way or another, whether it's welded itself on, stripped the thread so it's come loose, or simply just done a runner and vanished altogether!
Thankfully i've not heard of any catastrophes because of it and hope it stays that way, but for such a very cheap and relatively easy mod it's certainly worth the peace of mind to avoid one of those  :eek  moments!
« Last Edit: 06 November 2013, 07:16:27 am by darrsi »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 November 2013, 10:58:07 am »
Another inexpensive but REALLY worthwhile mod is the front mudgaurd extension, or "Fenda Extenda".
I was looking at my downpipes this morning, as you do, and considering the weather we've been having it has worked very well at keeping all the shite off them from the front tyre.  :) 

Arbie

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Honda Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 November 2013, 11:06:29 am »
Nice one :)  Those Renthal 758's that noggy mentioned...do they alter the riding position at all i.e is there more of a drop compared to standard ? Think mine are on the piss slightly and as im gonna be doing a lot of miles i was wanting to try and keep a nice comfortable riding position. Cheers.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 November 2013, 12:01:07 pm »
Nice one :)  Those Renthal 758's that noggy mentioned...do they alter the riding position at all i.e is there more of a drop compared to standard ? Think mine are on the piss slightly and as im gonna be doing a lot of miles i was wanting to try and keep a nice comfortable riding position. Cheers.

They're not as acutely angled so easier on the wrists, plus about an inch and a half longer on each end which makes for more of a natural position and more leverage,not much difference in height.

Heres a quick pic while my bike is getting a little rain wash down.

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 November 2013, 12:11:21 pm »
what mirrors are they nogg?...and are you using same mounts?

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 November 2013, 12:14:15 pm »
what mirrors are they nogg?...and are you using same mounts?

Off a yamaha xt660 buddy, using the original switch gear screw in mounting points.

Really good mirrors to be fair, a bit like mickey mouse ears from the front but they do the job nicely & being a genuine part the quality is good.

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 November 2013, 12:17:59 pm »
k mate cheers!!...ile have a look for a pair!! doing away with them on foxeye fairing!!...fancy some on bars!!

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 November 2013, 12:25:55 pm »
hey nogg?....i ordered a set of 758,s last wk ant cum yet but was wondering what they,d be like with me 30mm risers on?...would you think ide need them or what?

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 November 2013, 12:57:06 pm »
hey nogg?....i ordered a set of 758,s last wk ant cum yet but was wondering what they,d be like with me 30mm risers on?...would you think ide need them or what?

Well i dunno much about risers, does that mean an additional height of 30mm from where they sit???, or 30mm up from the yoke coz at a glance they look about that away from the yoke already.??

Ive got my bars on the standard clamps & it feels just right, i suppose being higher could still feel nice but because of the natural leant forward position of the bike it could be a bit much on the shoulders....also if these risers bring the bars any further towards the body id personally say no for me coz i got long arms & wouldnt want them any closer plus with my fairingoff my front end is getting light under heavy throttle & i need the weight over the front.....easy enough to swapover though for some trial and error & id be interested how you get on.
« Last Edit: 06 November 2013, 01:03:00 pm by noggythenog »

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 November 2013, 02:24:54 pm »
yes nogg?..towards rider"....ile give em a go ,then try without"..and keep ya posted on what they like?....but like yourself ive got longish arms too"...so mabe your right i wont need them?.....i dont get the brace with mine i dont think anyway?....sent to busters for them?...taking there fkn time sendin em?

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 November 2013, 08:35:07 pm »
1000 shock is a good mod , I find it so good i don't see the point of going down the R6 shock route
Another cheepo mod i've done is put a switch on one of the dip headlights  saving 50 watts of fuel or leaving more for heated grips etc