Date: 19-04-24  Time: 05:47 am

Author Topic: Another bolt fell out...  (Read 984 times)

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
  • Don't mess with a budgie
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Another bolt fell out...
« on: 23 February 2021, 02:48:51 pm »
I lost another bolt today, this is the second one that's come out and I'm beginning to suspect that the last time I had work done not everything was tightened up as it should be.

I have now gone round and checked everything I can see is tight.

Question is I can't see how I can get the nut on the end of this bolt even with the fairing side fillers out, it's nut number 35 and bolt number 34 in the picture, any ideas?

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/6390402/fz1-sa-fazer-5d01-2007-010-a/fuel-tank
« Last Edit: 23 February 2021, 02:49:54 pm by Streetbudgie »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Another bolt fell out...
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2021, 03:11:29 pm »
It shouldn't be a loose nut. It should be a well nut? You know the ones that are seating in rubber and pushed through before the bolt goes in?
They are on mine anyway?

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2021, 03:23:40 pm »
Ah, that would make sense, I'll go and check...
« Last Edit: 23 February 2021, 04:11:57 pm by Streetbudgie »

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2021, 04:11:01 pm »
It shouldn't be a loose nut. It should be a well nut? You know the ones that are seating in rubber and pushed through before the bolt goes in?
They are on mine anyway?

Another great answer from the Foccer's font of all knowledge, this forum has always been great and simple things like this, which seem difficult, are made simple again.

Dudeofrude you were right, it was a well nut but the rubber had pushed through and the nut was too low to get the bolt onto it, however after removing the inner fairing panel and undoing the bottom tank cowling bolt I was able to wriggle a finger in and push the bottom of the well nut rubber up and get it started on the bolt, then just put everything back and tighten up as I went.
Cheers dude  :woot
« Last Edit: 23 February 2021, 04:12:28 pm by Streetbudgie »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2021, 06:45:27 pm »
They are on mine anyway?

Another great answer from the Foccer's font of all knowledge, this forum has always been great and simple things like this, which seem difficult, are made simple again.

Dudeofrude you were right, it was a well nut but the rubber had pushed through and the nut was too low to get the bolt onto it, however after removing the inner fairing panel and undoing the bottom tank cowling bolt I was able to wriggle a finger in and push the bottom of the well nut rubber up and get it started on the bolt, then just put everything back and tighten up as I went.
Cheers dude  :woot

No worries mate 👍🏻 I only know as I've had mine apart so many times and managed to ruin the well nuts so had to replace them haha anyway glad it was a simple fix 😅

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 February 2021, 03:43:16 pm »
I lost another bolt today, this is the second one that's come out and I'm beginning to suspect that the last time I had work done not everything was tightened up as it should be.

I have now gone round and checked everything I can see is tight.

Question is I can't see how I can get the nut on the end of this bolt even with the fairing side fillers out, it's nut number 35 and bolt number 34 in the picture, any ideas?

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/6390402/fz1-sa-fazer-5d01-2007-010-a/fuel-tank

are you sure you haven't took it to Dudeofrudes garage? the last time he took his there his oil pump cover was falling off  :lol
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.