Date: 18-04-24  Time: 21:17 pm

Author Topic: bye Chris R.I.P.  (Read 596 times)

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
bye Chris R.I.P.
« on: 21 February 2021, 09:57:48 pm »
Sorry to hear of the death of the great Chris Vincent. I was born in Sparkhill,Birmingham only a stones throw away from the B.S.A. factory and when we were kids we used to go down there and see if we could get up the wooden hill which was part of the test track on our bikes or go down it the wrong way on our soap box carts,of course this was only when the place was shut after work hours when the bike testers weren't going round,as I got older and more interested in bikes I'd sometimes  wag off school and spend hours watching them testing the latest models and was always disappointed if it was a day of bantam testing or C15's when I wanted to see the rockets and goldies etc,of course I wouldn't have known what the models were at the time but soon got to know them and sometimes Chris Vincent would be there with his outfit,to be fair he never took any notice of me and would often tell us to bugger off and stop gawking and hanging about. I'd just mooch off somewhere where he couldn't see me and wait till he went round and I found a great place by the cricket pavilion to watch him and I remember actually being frightened by the sound and speed with which he came passed,but I would always watch him from there after that.The strangest thing was he never had a passenger in with him when he was there,just himself.I think he's still the only person to have won a sidecar TT race on a british bike in 1962 a B.S.A. of course ! When I started to go to Mallory with my older brother I would go into the paddock and hope he recognised me from those early days but he never did,I always wanted him to win though I felt like I knew him,silly ay? R.I.P. Chris
« Last Edit: 22 February 2021, 12:01:12 am by coffee »
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: bye Chris R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2021, 12:17:46 am »
Didn't get my facts right about Chris Vincent being the only british rider to win a TT sidecar race on a british machine in 1962,quit a few british riders won sidecar races at the TT in the early pre-war and post-war years,mainly on Nortons.I was referring to the more modern era when sidecar races were dominated by Rennsport BMW's which were pretty much unbeatable at the time at the TT and GP's,sorry. :\
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: bye Chris R.I.P.
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2021, 09:35:07 am »
Very sad news, another of my boyhood racing heroes having passed away. Having grown up within earshot of the Crystal Palace circuit, Chris Vincent became a firm favourite when the sidecars were on track. He was very handy on a solo as well, and in 1965, became the only person,as far as I know, to win a British championship on 2 and 3 wheels in the same year, by also winning the 50cc class on a Suzuki. RIP Chris, thanks for the memories.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.