Date: 19-04-24  Time: 09:29 am

Author Topic: changing clutch cable  (Read 1237 times)

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
changing clutch cable
« on: 02 November 2020, 11:28:51 pm »
Have got to change the clutch cable on my gen2 ,just wondered if anyone had done this job and can tell me if it's easy/hard anything awkward? appreciate the info. :thumbup
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: changing clutch cable
« Reply #1 on: 03 November 2020, 07:34:21 am »
Have got to change the clutch cable on my gen2 ,just wondered if anyone had done this job and can tell me if it's easy/hard anything awkward? appreciate the info. :thumbup

I've not changed mine yet (I really need too) but I've adjusted it at the lower end and that was bad enough so I can imagine a swap is going to be a bit of a pain in the arse 😬

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 November 2020, 02:32:32 pm »
I don't know if this suggestion would be suitable for a Gen2 Fazer, but made the job a piece of piss on my Gen 1.
I got 2 lengths of thin cord. Tied one on the clutch end and one on the handlebar end. Pulled the clutch end through the frame and untied the cord. Then pulled the clutch end down through the frame and untied that length of cord. The old cable is now off the bike leaving 2 lengths of cord threaded through the cable run. Retie the cord to the clutch end and pull it through the frame, and repeat with the lever end, so the cable takes the exact route that the original did. If this is no help, sorry for the intrusion....I'll get my coat :)
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 November 2020, 05:01:01 pm »
This sounds ideal but there's a few obstacles on the way which would stop the cable I would have thought, maybe not though so I'll certainly give it a try and thanks.I was thinking of lifting the tank to see if the access is any better because the cable seems to run over the top of the engine,I only need to see the run and I would have thought you'd be ok,we'll see, I don't suppose it's that common a job to have to many members that would have done it.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 November 2020, 05:21:28 pm »
I don't know if this suggestion would be suitable for a Gen2 Fazer, but made the job a piece of piss on my Gen 1.
I got 2 lengths of thin cord. Tied one on the clutch end and one on the handlebar end. Pulled the clutch end through the frame and untied the cord. Then pulled the clutch end down through the frame and untied that length of cord. The old cable is now off the bike leaving 2 lengths of cord threaded through the cable run. Retie the cord to the clutch end and pull it through the frame, and repeat with the lever end, so the cable takes the exact route that the original did. If this is no help, sorry for the intrusion....I'll get my coat :)

:agree

That's the way to do it  ;)
Later

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 November 2020, 05:55:46 pm »
I did mine purely as a precaution, as I usually take a spare when going on a long trip, so thought I’d change it and have one thing less to worry about as well as saving a bit of storage space.

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 November 2020, 12:10:31 am »
dear Robbo I must be foccin' dense or something!! I don't know whether you've made a grammar mistake but I can't figure out the method you're explaining.You say pull the one end of the cable through and disconnect it,so now you'd have the old cable out and a cord through the bike on the run of the cable and then you pull the cable back through with the other end so you have pulled the old cable back through to end up with 2 cords on the run of the cable,and then pull the new cable through from one end and then from the other! I can't make sense of it.You're obviously right so I must be missing something here. :groan

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 November 2020, 09:00:15 am »
I'm not quite sure how robbo does it, but the method is sound.  What I do is duct tape, the new cable to the bottom of the old cable and pull it through from the top, you still may have to do some poking/guiding and it's not always just a straight pull but it's much easily than trying to rethread a new cable on it's own.     ;)
Later

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 November 2020, 09:50:56 am »
Coffee,
I'm out on the bike today as it's such a nice day. If you want to pm me your number I'll call you from my caff stop, and explain. I can only comment from a Gen1 point of view though. Cheers.

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 November 2020, 02:09:21 pm »
thanks for that Robbo but my son came around today and after taking the piss explained to me and it's clear to me now  :o  so I really am dense  :rollin :rollin   and thanks for your other way Gnasher,either will work I would have thought. :thumbup
« Last Edit: 04 November 2020, 02:13:29 pm by coffee »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 November 2020, 03:51:28 pm »
Let us know how you get on.

Stainy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 November 2020, 09:36:29 am »

There's no way in hell this'll work for a Gen2, which has solid (bent) metal tubing in parts to take it from the left side of the frame to the right side where the clutch is.

I did mine a couple of months ago and it's not massively hard, but having another pair of hands to help holding wiring etc out of the way helps a lot. On mine, I had to take the tank completely off for access because I had it brimmed with fuel and once I'd tipped it to where I wanted it, it was pissing out.

Hardest bit was having to undo a mounting on the right side of the frame above the clutch. I can't remember what it was for, maybe a brake line? - but it had to come out of the way so I could adjust the end at the clutch arm side of the cable. I couldn't get anything on it except an open spanner and it moved about half a flat at a time!

albuquerqueturkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 November 2020, 06:30:46 pm »
As above...its tank up/off and ferret about until you can get to it. Not the best design if your cable breaks in the middle of nowhere.

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 November 2020, 07:31:54 pm »

There's no way in hell this'll work for a Gen2, which has solid (bent) metal tubing in parts to take it from the left side of the frame to the right side where the clutch is.

I did mine a couple of months ago and it's not massively hard, but having another pair of hands to help holding wiring etc out of the way helps a lot. On mine, I had to take the tank completely off for access because I had it brimmed with fuel and once I'd tipped it to where I wanted it, it was pissing out.

Hardest bit was having to undo a mounting on the right side of the frame above the clutch. I can't remember what it was for, maybe a brake line? - but it had to come out of the way so I could adjust the end at the clutch arm side of the cable. I couldn't get anything on it except an open spanner and it moved about half a flat at a time!

That makes a bit more sense,I think the majority of replies were from gen1 owners ,I'll get my mate round and we'll sort it,I won't be using it for a few months anyway as I've got a big fuck off bandage on my head and another op on the horizon so no rush.