Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:12 pm

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1585537 times)

returning rider

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #9000 on: 26 November 2023, 08:48:12 pm »
my adventures today? spray more penetrating oil in whats left of the rusty exhaust studs and ask myself why did I buy this bike!

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9001 on: 04 December 2023, 09:01:17 pm »
four or five times a year, I remove the rear footrests and the hugger and wipe off the excess chain oil that has been thrown off during that time. I don't have a gripe with the oil since I've been using for years and still on the same chain and rear sprocket, its just a pain having to do this. I have previously seen the marks on the hugger, but this time I thought Id throw it open for comments as to cause/remedy. The ones on the inside of the hugger look to be created by the rear tyre as there is an edge built up where the tyre would drop off contact. The one on the exterior looks to be caused by contact with the right side tailpipe. I dont really wish to abandon the hugger.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9002 on: 04 December 2023, 09:03:10 pm »
second pic

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9003 on: 05 December 2023, 09:44:45 am »
Is this the bike you use for ragging around donington ?
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9004 on: 05 December 2023, 01:32:15 pm »
Is this the bike you use for ragging around donington ?

Yes

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9005 on: 05 December 2023, 04:57:53 pm »
Then its probably something to do with extra stresses that track riding puts on it and it may be flexing, does look like its the tyre that has done it. I have a hugger and as the name says it is very close to the tyre but the plastic is quite stiff.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9006 on: 05 December 2023, 07:49:43 pm »
Then its probably something to do with extra stresses that track riding puts on it and it may be flexing, does look like its the tyre that has done it. I have a hugger and as the name says it is very close to the tyre but the plastic is quite stiff.

Yes, interesting too that the contact marks are on the centre right of the hugger, none on the left, and Donny is a very right biased circuit. Puzzling though, since the hugger and the tyre are both mounted on the swinger, I would have expected the relationship between the two to remain constant. The exhaust mark could just be proximity to the pipe, or maybe under hard acceleration the rear suspender compresses and contacts the hugger. A gnats cock on the preload may prevent that.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9007 on: 05 December 2023, 09:38:42 pm »
Depending on how much you weigh, you're speed, suspension settings, tyre, pressures etc.  If you're still running a standard rear shock and fork without them being resprung and revalved for track work and you're quick.  The suspension will at points be overwhelmed, the tyre will expand due to the suspension being pushed to its limits.  Either will explain the marks.
Later

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9008 on: 06 December 2023, 06:36:25 pm »
Yes, still running standard shock and forks, not resprung or revalved, although I did change the fork oil some time ago for something a little thicker (cant remember the grade) as the front forks were bottoming out in the early days. Road tyre pressures are 33 front 36 rear, adjusted to 32 rear cold on the day. Some tyres have a different profile but mine don't have a centre crest like some. The tyres do get astonishingly hot. I did consider front suspension mods, but I'm not too concerned with breaking lap records, rather just riding as fast as I can given the machine I'm on and the fact its my only bike at this time. (Though that may soon alter as mid noughties R6 and GSXR600 are under serious consideration for trackdays). I just think its a great days fun

returning rider

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9009 on: 07 December 2023, 07:58:13 am »
well great see a relatively standard fazer can still be a fun track day bike, I think you summed up well the pleasure of getting the most out of your machine, hence why i did not have sports bikes, my talent falls way short of their capabilities!

Texan67

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9010 on: 10 December 2023, 06:58:37 pm »
I bought these wheels earlier in the year and mounted them over the summer but I've been down for the count with multiple kidney stones. After living in hell they have finally passed haha.

The rear is 6 inches wide and I'm running a 190/55 like a liter bike should have. It did raise the rear and combined with my already raised forks by 12mm the bike tips in lightning fast. I was worried it might be too twitchy and I'd have to set the forks back to flush but it's even better now. I would probably get a fender eliminator but I would need a tire hugger and from what I understand the ones for a 1st gen won't fit a 190. I'm getting a Traxxion AK20 fork cartridge kit after the holidays and then want to try and find some aftermarket rearsets. I do have some braided brake lines I haven't gotten around to installing yet. Then the mods should be about done. God this bike feels so good and I'll never sell it.

I bought them at motowheels on clearance for $2000 and they must have decided they sold them too cheap because right after they raised the price of the front from $700 to $1425. It's actually more expensive than the rear for some reason now. Maybe because it's actually for an R1. As you can see I'm not a great picture taker.

« Last Edit: 10 December 2023, 07:07:47 pm by Texan67 »

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9011 on: 11 December 2023, 10:31:26 am »
Very smart looking machine

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9012 on: 11 December 2023, 04:42:10 pm »
Nice :thumbup Kenny Robert’s skunk paint job. Last time I checked, Gilles still do quality rear sets for the Gen 1 Fazer/FZ1. How high have you jacked the rear.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9013 on: 12 December 2023, 10:48:05 am »
The best US Colour scheme.  :thumbup

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9014 on: 20 January 2024, 08:01:52 pm »
Nothing very exciting. Had to use the Fazer to get to Wickes for a few items to finish off project “change all the doors in the house”, as my car isn’t ULEZ compliant. Started on the button after a few months slumber, but won’t make this a habit as cold water washing it, in case of any salt on the road, wasn’t that pleasant in the current temperatures.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9015 on: 21 January 2024, 12:04:56 pm »
Nothing very exciting. Had to use the Fazer to get to Wickes for a few items to finish off project “change all the doors in the house”, as my car isn’t ULEZ compliant. Started on the button after a few months slumber, but won’t make this a habit as cold water washing it, in case of any salt on the road, wasn’t that pleasant in the current temperatures.
How id you get the doors on the bike.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9016 on: 21 January 2024, 09:52:19 pm »
How id you get the doors on the bike.
Very good :thumbup . Got the doors a while back when Howdens had an offer. I can get there with the car avoiding ULEZ cameras. However getting to Wickes is another matter. :thumbdown

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9017 on: 11 March 2024, 06:35:36 pm »
Changed the fork oil today, was a bit shocked at the price for a litre of Motuls finest, but then again, their engine oil is dear. I usually try and stock up when M&P or Sportsbikeshop have a discount deal on the go. A calliper and exup valve service is planned for tomorrow, then should be good to go for another biking season, and the Triumph can go into hibernation :) .

benzimo_

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS600 03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9018 on: 18 March 2024, 10:48:53 pm »
Hello everybody, unsure how to use this site so hopefully i’m doing it right but ported the cylinder heads out and milled it so that 99 octane fuel can now be used to my advantage for extra power on the 600 (engine was already out replacing the 2nd gear shift fork) :) however this does mean regular fuel will cause detonation so premium only from now on yay

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9019 on: 19 March 2024, 11:07:15 am »
Hello everybody, unsure how to use this site so hopefully i’m doing it right but ported the cylinder heads out and milled it so that 99 octane fuel can now be used to my advantage for extra power on the 600 (engine was already out replacing the 2nd gear shift fork) :) however this does mean regular fuel will cause detonation so premium only from now on yay
Eh ?
Never heard anyone doing that on here

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #9020 on: 21 March 2024, 11:05:00 am »

I would suggest posting this in the FZS600 02-03 Forum area so people who have the same model of bike as you are more likely to see it and reply.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9021 on: 22 March 2024, 09:25:34 am »
Brake fluid changed front and back yesterday. Had the usual grief getting the rear bled satisfactorily, but worth the effort as definitely the best rear brake I’ve ever had on a bike. Replacement bleed nipple rubber dust caps should arrive today, so that should be about it for this pre seasons maintenance.