Date: 28-04-24  Time: 11:53 am

Author Topic: Winter gloves  (Read 3588 times)

stinch182

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Winter gloves
« on: 25 October 2015, 11:49:43 am »
Good morning guys and gals.
I'm in the process of choosing some new winter gloves, Originally I was going to buy some Richa artic gloves, went to my local shop tried some gortex gloves.
After trying on a few pairs the guy gave me a set of Held air n dry. I immediately fell in love with the look and feel of them and the fact it's a two in one glove.
Before I buy some has anyone else got and recommendations?
Cheers Adam.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
Re: Winter gloves
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2015, 02:08:35 pm »
Hiya fella,

I've sat with Spada Enforcers for a few years and decided on a change - bought the Richa Arctic and wished I hadn't. They are totally waterproof, good feel, need more palm protection but could do with an extra 2-3 cm of cuff length. They won't stay under the jacket sleeve in rain or totally over when dry - line them up against your existing gloves.

Thought about the Held ones but that's as far as I got. Good luck  :thumbup
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2015, 02:19:47 pm »
When you say "2 in 1" glove, i presume you're on about a thin inserted glove made of some funky warm material?
I had gloves like these years ago but found them real hard work as the inner glove slides about on the throttle side, so i ended up having to really grab hold of the throttle with my full hand rather than normally using just the thumb and palm of the glove.
I couldn't get on with them at all and found my hand really ached after a while.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

stinch182

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2015, 09:28:33 pm »
Hard to explain the 2 in 1 but this it a pic from the book. Itself impressive. 

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2015, 02:13:09 am »
Good morning guys and gals.
I'm in the process of choosing some new winter gloves, Originally I was going to buy some Richa artic gloves, went to my local shop tried some gortex gloves.
After trying on a few pairs the guy gave me a set of Held air n dry. I immediately fell in love with the look and feel of them and the fact it's a two in one glove.
Before I buy some has anyone else got and recommendations?
Cheers Adam.

I have tried these and to me does not feels very comfortable when you put your hand in winter position the ammount of material under your palm is a bit too much.

You need to try gloves it is very personal. If you like them buy them. Try Alpinestars Tech Road Goretex - very comfty.

I've changed my mind about winter gloves. Found out the same effect by using any good nice fitting glove and using good liners like EDZ merino or Rev It! Helium Inner Gloves Moisture-Wicking liners.
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

ponkster

• Weekend Warrior
  • Grumpy Old MF
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - VN 1500 P1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 October 2015, 08:33:31 pm »
I have issues with winter gloves , I have rheumatoid arthritis and struggle with bulky gloves and also have a nightmare with the lining pulling out when they get damp .
I recently have been try a different approach which is working well so far - diving gloves! ...... They are single layer and waterproof and hands are toasty
$ 57
« Last Edit: 26 October 2015, 08:36:17 pm by ponkster »
"Don't Die with Fun in the Bank!"

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2015, 11:01:44 pm »
I recently have been try a different approach which is working well so far - diving gloves!

But what protection would they give if you have an Off?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2015, 11:29:24 pm »
Is he not saying that he uses the diving gloves as inner gloves ?
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

ponkster

• Weekend Warrior
  • Grumpy Old MF
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - VN 1500 P1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 October 2015, 06:09:21 pm »
I recently have been try a different approach which is working well so far - diving gloves!

Bike glove give just about no protection when you fall off - the palm leather is usually wafer thin . The armouron the knucles and fingers is for FOD hitting your pinkies when holding the bars.
The dive gloves are either 3mm or 5mm crushed neoprene which is tough as old boots and it gives quite a bit of padding over the knuckles . I think they would give better protection when sliding down the road

Priority for me in winter gloves is comfort and functionality (easy to get on and off) over road rash protection .

I don't wear them as under gloves - that would defeat the point of wearing an unlined single layer glove ,  that is what makes them so user friendly !
« Last Edit: 27 October 2015, 06:12:32 pm by ponkster »

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 October 2015, 08:31:32 pm »

Bike glove give just about no protection when you fall off - the palm leather is usually wafer thin . The armouron the knucles and fingers is for FOD hitting your pinkies when holding the bars.
The dive gloves are either 3mm or 5mm crushed neoprene which is tough as old boots and it gives quite a bit of padding over the knuckles . I think they would give better protection when sliding down the road

Priority for me in winter gloves is comfort and functionality (easy to get on and off) over road rash protection .

I don't wear them as under gloves - that would defeat the point of wearing an unlined single layer glove ,  that is what makes them so user friendly !

"Prority is functionality" hmmmmmmmm. Try functioning when you've lost your skin on both hands. If you need heat then go a couple of sizes bigger with proper winter gloves and some surf boarding gloves.
« Last Edit: 27 October 2015, 08:39:17 pm by Frosties »

ponkster

• Weekend Warrior
  • Grumpy Old MF
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - VN 1500 P1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 October 2015, 09:02:39 pm »
I think you are being hoodwinked on the safety properties of motorcycle gloves in the event of an off particularly winter ones which are basically ski gloves with leather palms .
Knock yourself out if you feel better paying lots for the latest alpine stars model ( been there and done that), but when you are realy bored one day take a close look at the palms of your "safety" motorcycle gloves and think how long it will last skidding across the road surface.
My choice of glove is not about being tight - it is because what is on the market is rubbish and over priced .We are marketed gloves that look like a gladiator should wear them a yet in truth other than knuckle protection they offer no more protection than a decent work glove  and certainly little protection in an off as it was put earlier.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 October 2015, 10:49:53 pm »
Oh yeh now you come to mention it - I remember Rossi and Marqez wear diving gloves too
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 October 2015, 11:04:45 pm »
Oh yeh now you come to mention it - I remember Rossi and Marqez wear diving gloves too

You're right there Sharpy - cos neoprene slides over tarmac like a turd round a U bend......and certainly don't grip like shit to a blanket lasting 0.5 seconds in an off.

I think you are being hoodwinked on the safety properties of motorcycle gloves in the event of an off particularly winter ones which are basically ski gloves with leather palms . Yup, all fluffy and made from Nylon
Knock yourself out if you feel better paying lots for the latest alpine stars model ( been there and done that), but when you are realy bored one day take a close look at the palms of your "safety" motorcycle gloves (I see scaphoid protection and sliders)and think how long it will last skidding across the road surface. Longer than bloody Neoprene or skin.
My choice of glove is not about being tight Yes it is, but heh it's your skin - it is because what is on the market is rubbish and over priced .We are marketed gloves that look like a gladiator should wear them a yet in truth other than knuckle protection they offer no more protection than a decent work glove  and certainly little protection in an off as it was put earlier. Oh dear... :wall

:groan

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #13 on: 28 October 2015, 12:29:54 am »
Bike glove give just about no protection when you fall off - the palm leather is usually wafer thin

Hmm, I have a pair of Alpinestars now and an old set of RSTs which I used previously and both have decent leather on the palms, plus extra padding for the "impact areas".

Fair enough, it's your choice.

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 November 2015, 10:39:17 am »
Managed to get Alpinestars Tech Road Goretex - they are the most comfty winter gloves I ever tried, the liner is not bulky, very soft leather, but good protections as well.

Recommended.
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 November 2015, 06:25:48 pm »
Soon to be, yes! - Tis the season for gauntlets or muffs methinks!
For real bikers-i.e. hard core commuters- the hard frosts of early winter will sort the men from the boys!
Let's find out who's foccin' gloves are up to the challenge!
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 November 2015, 06:28:53 pm »
Hardcore commuting ?? lol...I think riding a bike for a job ALL FOCCIN DAY in winter is hardcore.....that will properly test ur kit.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 November 2015, 06:42:19 pm »
Hardcore commuting ?? lol...I think riding a bike for a job ALL FOCCIN DAY in winter is hardcore.....that will properly test ur kit.

Nice one,  anyone who can RIDE for a living gets my vote! (Ben Dover excluded)!  :lol
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 November 2015, 08:44:56 pm »

Nice one,  anyone who can RIDE for a living gets my vote! (Ben Dover excluded)!  :lol
If I could do it for a living, I would!

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 November 2015, 08:56:18 pm »

If I could do it for a living, I would!

What...Ben Dover  :eek . Each to their own i suppose  :lol

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 November 2015, 09:02:14 pm »
GENIUS!!!!  lol
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 November 2015, 09:12:18 pm »
I use the same Hein Gericke gloves, winter and summer. The only difference is, that in the winter I use a pair of Weiss inners.
I've had two "offs" with the Hein Gerickes, (4 years apart) with no sustained damage to the gloves in either incident.