Date: 28-04-24  Time: 17:46 pm

Author Topic: Winter riding on the fazer  (Read 6695 times)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Winter riding on the fazer
« Reply #25 on: 04 December 2013, 10:20:14 am »
I have a pair of Ixon winter gloves which certainly are very warm without being too thick and bulky, but the liners have a tendency to want to pull inside out if I don't remove them carefully, so I got myself a pair of Spada Enforcers, which don't have that problem. A bit thicker than the Ixons, but very good gloves. I can't comment on the waterproof-ness of either pair as I tend not to ride much in the rain. Added to the heated grips, no cold-hand problems thus far though.
Interestingly, a lot of heated grip owners seem to complain that the left grip (specifically) does not work as well as the right (same with mine) - anybody know why this is?

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 December 2013, 10:38:44 am »
I am currently riding it daily, all weather 90 mile round trip to/from work.  Been fine so far, bit cold (I have no bike specific clothing really - Karrimor jacket).  Just ordered a Nitro N31 jacket (£32) and Kevlar Jeans with armour.  Can't wait for those to arrive as its getting a bit nippy.  I have a Hein Gerick waterproof oversuit for the really wet days.

I only have some race gloves, thin and not built for warmth but no problems so far - coated with Aldi waterproof spray they are pretty good and not getting damp certainly helps.

Saying that I will not be using it when it drops to freezing temps.
Intentionally left blank

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 December 2013, 06:55:28 pm »
I have a pair of Ixon winter gloves which certainly are very warm without being too thick and bulky, but the liners have a tendency to want to pull inside out if I don't remove them carefully, so I got myself a pair of Spada Enforcers, which don't have that problem. A bit thicker than the Ixons, but very good gloves. I can't comment on the waterproof-ness of either pair as I tend not to ride much in the rain. Added to the heated grips, no cold-hand problems thus far though.
Interestingly, a lot of heated grip owners seem to complain that the left grip (specifically) does not work as well as the right (same with mine) - anybody know why this is?

The left grip is straight onto a cold steel tube whilst the throttle side has a plastic inner so the grip can move. When i fitted them to my Tiger I wrapped some insulation tape to the left bar first - worked, equal heat!
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 December 2013, 07:43:59 pm »
And maybe that with constant clutch leaver pulls you are unwraping your fingers off the grip and exposing it to the wind, cooling it down all the time, whereas the otherside has the brake but used less
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 December 2013, 07:50:22 pm »
Left grip straight onto metal bars - yeah, that makes sense.

I tend to ride with 2 fingers covering the brake all the time, so I don't think it's to do with clutch hand open more - plus, my hands aren't actually getting cold, just notice the difference between the two.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 04 December 2013, 09:29:58 pm »
Plus, the same situation is found whilst riding on long A roads and motorways where neither hand is being moved toward the levers

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 04 December 2013, 10:05:20 pm »
I got myself a pair of Spada Enforcers, which don't have that problem. A bit thicker than the Ixons, but very good gloves.

Great gloves these enforcers. Picked up another set at the NEC for £50 - normally £60. Totally waterproof.

FAO NorthWestern - if you can find the cash then you won't find better gloves for the money.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04 December 2013, 10:10:45 pm »
Yeah I was actually looking at those in Ghost Bikes, nice looking glove too.
Intentionally left blank

msmudge

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Winter riding on the fazer
« Reply #33 on: 07 December 2013, 03:44:47 pm »
« Last Edit: 07 December 2013, 03:46:55 pm by msmudge »

Nosobrut

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07 December 2013, 04:11:40 pm »
I'm riding 9 hours a day plus, my hands dont really get cold .Ive got handle bar muffs,Data tool heated grips and fingerless gloves .Most of the time I'm in and around the M25 but went to Bath thursday evening ,very windy and wet .Also got a heated Gerbling inner jacket  keeps you nice and warm got the gloves aswell but dont use them very often .Only problem is if you run around town with the jacket turned on it knocks the battery out .